Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Shablagoo!

Pictures of Disneyland Hotel, 1979

Hello again. I have set my wayback machine to once again take us to August 1979. I wanted to share pictures of the Disneyland Hotel that my mom took on my first trip to Disneyland. If you want to see the Disneyland pictures from this trip follow this link. http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/29562-melonballers-first-trip-disneyland-1979-a.html

so lets take a look at the Disneyland Hotel.

First a picture of the park from our Suite. We had a regular room booked, but they messed up our reservation and bumped us up to a Suite.

Here are some pics of the room

There was a side room with separate beds for my sister and I. Look at that bar. I love it.

A picture of the Koi pond.

A marina picture. I can remember getting a paddle boat and going out on the water.

The pool.

Finally I have 3 pictures from the Dancing Waters show.

• Senior Minion

Re: Pictures of Disneyland Hotel, 1979

Oh wow!! Those are amazing I was just there, and now I have a better idea of what the layout was. Thanks for sharing.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• FastPass n00b

Ah yes, the Hotel 10 years before my first stay. So relatively unchanged in those 10 years, free from Eisner's grip. I guess he was still at Paramount at this time...or maybe even ABC.

When I visit the Hotel today, I have a hard time figuring out what was there before and where the things I remember were. Does anyone know what's on the former site of the paddle-boat lagoon? I'm thinking it's that Peter Pan pool and the walkways.

Out of all the "resort" changes, the Disneyland Hotel is the one that churns my stomach the most. The minimalist parking structure and Esplanade are forgivable since they didn't exist before, but the Hotel, and its decades worth of memories, is absolutely inexcusable.

Thanks for the pictures! At least we'll always have the old Disneyland Hotel to remember in our heads and photographs.

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

Cool pics, but the Koi pond freaks me out.
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

Cool pics, but the Koi pond freaks me out.

*Oops double posted*
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon

When I visit the Hotel today, I have a hard time figuring out what was there before and where the things I remember were. Does anyone know what's on the former site of the paddle-boat lagoon? I'm thinking it's that Peter Pan pool and the walkways.
    The Neverland pool takes up most of the marina's space. The Lost Bar is where the group of umbrellas were. Hook's Pointe is the larger of the two buildings, the smaller is Croc's Bits & Bites. The grassy area at the top left of the photo is where Goofy's Kitchen is today.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

So that is where the bubble fish were before getting moved to the Jungle Cruise. Are we sure some kid didn't just fall in there?
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by phruby

So that is where the bubble fish were before getting moved to the Jungle Cruise. Are we sure some kid didn't just fall in there?
    In those days they would have a daily show at 11:30 am where they would lower a elephant into the Koi Pond. The Koi would strip it to the bone in 3.2 secs. You haven't lived until you seen a full grown elephant with clown make-up and a little hat with a real live mouse feed to a school of hungry Koi.

• Monorail Racer

Great pictures! Thanks for posting those.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Shablagoo!

Woot! I have made the Micechat Round-UP! Thanks to all of you who have visited my thread and looked at my pictures. I have enjoyed sharing them with you.

Great pics! I think they still do the Koi feeding every afternoon; at least they did two years ago.

I love the Dancing Waters pic with those two Disco Dudes up on the stage. What could they have been doing? Playing a synthesizer, or maybe directing the show before it was computerized and automated? Bizarre.

Could that hotel suite have been any uglier? It's amazing to think how far we've come in hotel room amenities and design in the last 20 years.

I also forgot how plain and barren the Disneyland Hotel used to look. Not that I'm a fan of its current state, but it used to be really bland. Personally, I think they should have imploded the whole thing back in the late 1990's and built a brand new, 21st century mega-themed resort when they were building DCA/DTD/GCH in 1998-2001. The Disneyland Hotel is way, way past its prime, no matter how cute the Tinkerbell wallpaper in the rooms is.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer

Dear god look at that furniture.

A marina picture. I can remember getting a paddle boat and going out on the water.

Classic.

Thanks for sharing these.

• Back After Missing MC

Thanks Melonballer for sharing such amazing photos to take us all back in time. I stayed at the hotel when I was young (mid-1980's if I recall correctly) and remember the boats and marina distinctly. I have visited Disneyland since but not the hotel so it is interesting to hear of what has changed.

• Banned User

Great photos!

• Neep meep beep

Those ARE great photos ... and they're not completely red! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast