Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: In honor of the 4th of July, Oogie presents 'America On Parade', Pictures from 19

Thank you for sharing those awesome photos with all of us. that has to be one of the mose elaborate parades ever put on by Disney. Obviously the company spared no expense celebrating the Bicentennial at both parks.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: In honor of the 4th of July, Oogie presents 'America On Parade', Pictures from 1976

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    makes ya feel old huh? I was 6 when I saw this parade.
    I was 20, and working that day (at the Tahitian Terrace)...

And as I have mentioned before, yes, Disneyland was in a slump in the mid-70's because of a) competition from Knott's and Magic Mountain, and b) the overall mid-70's double-whammy of recession and inflation...things didn't really turn around until the opening of Space Mountain (which, BTW was under construction during the run of AOP).

Again, thanks Oogie for pictures that bring back some really great memories!!!
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 07-05-2006 at 09:51 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: In honor of the 4th of July, Oogie presents 'America On Parade', Pictures from 1976

What's up with the giant snack containers? When I read the description in the first thread, I thought that was a joke or something.

And I loved the pictures of the giant iron and lightbulb!!

JULIE
    This is my signature.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Just to add to what I posted earlier, this was a great parade ... my second favorite of all time with only DISNEYLAND'S MAIN STREET Electrical Parade being better.

And as for the costumes, yes indeed they were a pain, as I heard from many performers. And on hot summer days, more than a few were overcome by the heat and had to be taken to first aid.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Everyone neat and pretty?

Fantastic Fotos! I remember that parade when we took our annual summertime trip to the park. America Sings had just opened too! We were not there on the fourth but I saw this parade. I remember that all I could think of was hot hot the people must have been inside those costumes!
    My cousin was 6 at the time and he freaked when he saw the giant 'dolls' in the parade. He was also having issues with Mickey Mouse and the other costumed charactors too. We actually tease him to this day about that. He's now a Firefighter in the Navy!
    "Some of us prefer illusion to despair!" ~ Nelson Muntz of The Simpsons when being teased for liking Snow White and being told that she was just an actress.

• the F.O.D. solution.

Re: In honor of the 4th of July, Oogie presents 'America On Parade', Pictures from 19

Quote Originally Posted by JulieNMM
    What's up with the giant snack containers? When I read the description in the first thread, I thought that was a joke or something.

And I loved the pictures of the giant iron and lightbulb!!

JULIE
    I think the snacks were from the pop culture section where they showcased pass-times like movies and baseball...

And the iron and light bulbs were in the portion celebrating invention.

On a side note, other than MSEP, was this the first really big and stylized Disneyland parade? I can't recall any parade before it as elaborate.

• the F.O.D. solution.

Re: In honor of the 4th of July, Oogie presents 'America On Parade', Pictures from 19

Quote Originally Posted by snowsbeau
    My cousin was 6 at the time and he freaked when he saw the giant 'dolls' in the parade.
    They creeped me out too!

•   
    • Minion

Thanks Ooggie...

I was 5 when I saw this parade...

As to the questions regarding the company's shape in the 70's - yeah it was on a downward spiral, but it was surviving because there was vertually no competition for family entertainment at the time.

Ah yes, Disney in the 70's... Don Knotts, Tim Conway, Jodie Foster, and Dean Jones where the big stars... Herbie was a presence too... In fact our family bought a bug exactly like it, rag top sun roof and everything, because of that film...

The Animation Studio was kept afloat by re-releasing Disney classics to the big screen theatres - there where no DVD's or Video Cassettes... There where audio tapes/records with picture books... The Mickey Mouse Club was still in reruns, and a new version was made with colorful uniforms, and lasted about a season and a half... And The Wonderful World of Disney was still a weekly must see on Sunday nights on ABC... (provided that you did your homework...)

The truth is the Disney Company was REALLY bad in the Early 80's... Partly because the film studio started to release Darker films starting in 76 and gets progressively darker through 85...

Shaggy DA (76)
    Rescuers (77)
    Return to Witch Mountain (78)
    Black Hole (79)
    Devil and Max Devin (81)
    Watcher in the Woods (81)
    Night Crossing (82)
    Tron (82)
    Something Wicked this Way Comes (83)
    Black Cauldron (85)

Once Eisner got on board in 84, the films turned to lighter topics...

I think it had an effect on most of us kids... because this was also a period of time when Hollywood started releasing horror films about evil children...

The Omen (76)
    Rosemary's Baby (76)
    Exorcist II (77)
    Halloween (78)
    Friday the 13th (80)
    Poltergeist (82)
    Children of the Corn (84)

No one like to talk about this period of film history, or the fact that Disney carried on these darker themes...
    Check out my other blog:

• Ian The Fox

These are amazing pictures, Oogie. I'm continually amazed by the variety, number, and quality of pictures that you continue to post here.
    Woof!

I remember being in one of the high school marching bands that followed the parade down main street. We were synched up to play along with the sound track of the parade drummers, I think.

• back in Austin

As always, thanks to OogieBoogie for sharing the old photos. Love 'em.

I never saw the parade, but seeing the picures, I really dig the doll heads. It's cute to see IASW versions of famous people. I bet they were abysmally hot inside, though.

WDI needs to invent a small, light-weight portable nuclear-powered AC unit for parade performers to use! Seriously. Thing is, they'd leave a trail of water condensation and that would probably confuse guests!!

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Ah yes, Disney in the 70's... Don Knotts, Tim Conway, Jodie Foster, and Dean Jones where the big stars... Herbie was a presence too... In fact our family bought a bug exactly like it, rag top sun roof and everything, because of that film...
    Ah yes, I remember Herbie fever very well. I loved those films when I was a kid.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I managed to find my old picture disk LP that Disney put out for the parade. The songs that were in the parade are as follows:

Yankee Doodle - Mickey , Donald, Goofy float

Sailing, Sailing - Christopher Columbus float

Turkey in the Straw - Pilgrims / Turkey Float

Over the River and Through the Woods - Colonial America floats

Battle Hymn of the Republic - Liberty Bell / Revolutionary War / Ben Franklin (why they have a Civil War song playing for the American Revolution is something I don't understand)

You're a Grand Old Flag - Betsy Ross float

O' Susannah - Covered Wagon float

Swanne River - Huck Finn Raft float

Waiting for the Robert E. Lee - River Boat float

At a Georgia Camp Meeting - Old West Floats / Stagecoach float

I've Been Working on the Railroad - Railroad and train floats

In the Good Old Summertime - Gazebo w/Mayor / gay 90's floats

School Days - Schoolhouse float

In My Merry Oldsmobile / In My Flying Machine - Transportation and inventions

Take Me Out To The ballgame - Megaphone float

Animal Crackers / Dearie - Snacks and food floats

Zip - A - Dee- Doo - Dah - Entertainment floats

Stars and Stripes Forever / God Bless America - Uncle Sam and Statue of Liberty float.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Professional Chocoholic

Wow, it looks like a great parade, a REAL parade, not the overdone ones they have in the park today.

My only problem with it is that it starts with Columbus and there are zero native Americans in it. Makes it look like America didn't matter until the whites moved in, and they simply showed up on empty real estate. Sorry to be a wet blanket -- it's a sore spot for me... 8-(

But it looks like a fantastic parade! 8-) And I was 10 years old in 1976, I remember the Bicentennial very well.

Incredible pictures! And so bizarre to see a Disney parade without the huge character tie-ins. The Disneyland I remember as a kid didn't have all the merchandising, so this is really cool. Thanks for the great pictorial history!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast