Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Lowering Expectations

How about a new way to handle height requirements?

My family visited Hersheypark in PA a year back and there is a system for height requirements that I'd never seen before.

Basically it works like this:

You are measured before entering the park, and depending on what height you measure up to (different candy bars in Hershey's case ) you wear a different wristband. Then you will know exactly which attractions you can ride based on the labeled colors/candy bars/Disney characters if Disney were to impement it.

I would really like to see this become an option (key word) for children visiting DLR. I do not see this working if 10-20 thousand children are forced to be fitted with plastic bands stapled on their limbs immediately upon entry of the park. In other words, it could play second fiddle to the standard approach-the-attraction-and-then-see-if-you-measure-up system.

The reason my mom and I want this system is because my sister is on the borderline of 46 inches and loves CA Screamin'. But depending on which CM is checking her height, she may or may not be allowed to ride, and the end result can be disappointing We understand the discrepancy with height stuff, but if she can get a wristband we can end the dispute once and for all!
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: How about a new way to handle height requirements?

Disneyland tried this for a few months, and it created more problems than it solved, some parents switched wristbands.

So it was discontinued, as the person in charge of each ride is the ctual person responsible for verification.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

That sounds like a great idea!

Yeah, when I was a kid my mom always pre-measured me at home and then found out what rides I could and couldn't go on. If there was something I was too short for, she would figure out how to avoid the area so I wouldn't possibly see something I was interested in. I love my mom ^_^

Of course most parents don't do that, so to spare a child disappointment, I think this would be a great option.

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    some parents switched wristbands.
    You mean parents would do a thing like that?
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

Yah they do that at Great America. And I agree it's very helpful. My son last year would go on rides over and over then once in awhile some know it all would tell him he couldn't go on a ride. With the wrist band they don't bother you. They have stands around the park or you can get a band at the actual ride. (they carry height sticks)

jan
    Janette

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Disneyland tried this for a few months, and it created more problems than it solved, some parents switched wristbands.

So it was discontinued, as the person in charge of each ride is the ctual person responsible for verification.
    Oh, hmm. Yeah. Like so many great ideas, if placed in the wrong hands, can create quite a bit of destruction. Darn.

Parents would DO that? What kind of an idiot would jeapordize their child's safety like that?

• Hooterville, USA

To me a disappointed child is easier to deal with than an injured child who was allowed to ride even though they didn't meet the height requirement.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    You mean parents would do a thing like that?
    yes, they make their kids wear lifted shoes to the park or stuff toilet paper under their heels just so they can go on rides...they would do it...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    yes, they make their kids wear lifted shoes to the park or stuff toilet paper under their heels just so they can go on rides...they would do it...
    People on this forum have done it.

• Animatronic

Since the height limits are often about the restraints working effectively, how about a test car out front. You put your child in the car and it flips upside down. If your child falls on his head, he can't ride the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    Since the height limits are often about the restraints working effectively, how about a test car out front. You put your child in the car and it flips upside down. If your child falls on his head, he can't ride the attraction.
    Scary thing is, some people would actually do this.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I still have the wristband from when they tried this out at DL. I had pixie kid measured. They were just the coated paper ones with the really sticky closure. Maybe if they used a different kind of wristband?

Quote Originally Posted by lore
    <o>

• Perfect Insanity

We did this with our oldest son when Disneyland was doing it. No matter what there was some problem with it. We always knew how tall he was and it would measure him right but we would still get stopped at some rides and told he had to get measured there as well. Even though he had the wristband. My husband took him onto Star Tours one time and the CM working at the time said he needed to be measured. My husband showed the wristband to the CM and that CM had no clue about the things. I had heard some (not many) complain that the height was off on the things and they didn't measure their kids right. So there was alot of problems with this program. And we do still have a few of those wristbands laying around as well.
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    Video Game Player-Noah (6/5/98)
    &
    Baseball Player, All Stars Basketball Player & All Net Champ -Kaleb (3/8/02)
    &
    Ballerina Princess Skylar (9/21/06)
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess
    I had heard some (not many) complain that the height was off on the things and they didn't measure their kids right.
    *GASP* Parents making conditional statements about their children???? Their own precious little never-do-a-single-thing-wrong children?????*GASP*

*GASP* *GASP*

(sorry, is the teacher in me coming out?)

</sarcasm>
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast