• Minion

Disneyland Civic Projects!

In the plaza between Disneyland and California Adventure, thousands of guests have paid in the neighborhood of $150. to commemorate the family name on a brick paver tile, a nostalgic memento to revisit in future years.

One could say they “own a piece of Disneyland.”

But what did they pay for, really, but a homely little tile? Unlike plaques at civil projects or hospital wards, the “donation” didn’t really contribute toward the creation of anything but the brick itself and some additional profit margin for Disneyland merchandisers.

Where is the lasting monument this kind of money could build?

What if Disneyland were to draw up plans for the return of specific, historic park scenic elements, restorations or improvements in the manner of civic projects, soliciting funds for their execution?

If people will pay for a mere brick, wouldn’t they pay even more to own a piece of a mural, a tree house or a pirate ship? Especially a beloved icon they were reviving from their own childhood so it might last for generations to come?

...Read the entire article at the Re-Imagineering Blog...

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

• Sock Puppet

Re: Disneyland Civic Projects!

Rides or park elements do not last forever. At some point, the park might need to remove the element because of unpopularity. Things have to change. With the plaza, there isn't really much to change. It isn't like a gigantic roller coaster will be built in the plaza and I forsee it will be similar to how it is now for years to come. Elements in Disneyland, such as that mural in Tomorrowland (in the above linked blog), don't last forever. Imagine if you pay for a piece of that old pirate ship in Fantasyland or something along those lines and then 10 years later having the building torn down. I wouldn't be happy, would you? Long live the plaza.

Speaking of bricks, jeez, I got mine in April, and they aren't installing it until November

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Disneyland Civic Projects!

Very interesting idea, and some excellent thoughts to consider too. I once thought of getting the park registered as a State or national historic or cultural landmark, then they couldnt mess with it without a public hearing. But the company needs the ability to evolve the park as times change to keep it viable as a business too. Once the guests bought everything, then you couldn't change it. I'm glad they didnt sell the fiber optics of Light Magic..otherwise...

As for raising money for projects, that's interesting too, but I thought that was what my admission was for and the overpriced popcorn. It's somehting worth thinking about. Buying stock is a small step toward that as you are voting for the direction of the comapny in a way. I'm not sure that soliciting funds for cap ex when you are a huge for profit company wouldnt have some kind of a backlash, but you'll never know till you try.

Best new thinking I've seen on these boards.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]