Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: Lack of Cars merchandise

I work at Barnes and Noble and we still have lots of Cars books and POTC books as well. But alas, no toys!

Somewhat off topic...

Anyone read Autoweek? A few weeks ago, they had a bunch of "Cars" articles (Lightning was on the cover). There was a picture of John Lassetter in his office. From floor to ceiling, it was covered with diecasts cars of every size and shape. Cases and cases, Hotwheels, Johnny Lightning (still in the package). It brought a tear to my eye!

FWIW, the "Cars" diecasts that I did get (Lightning, Mater, Sally, Filmore, Doc, and The King) are w/o a doubt some of the best quality diecasts I have seen. Perfect proportions, outstanding fit and finish...I didn't fell as bad as I might have felt spending almost $10 for a car on eBay that I would have paid $3 for at ToysRus.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by darthjt2
    yes finally someone said that because i really wanted a dicastcar of "the king"
    They can be had....

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ast&category0=

Brian

You may find this link interesting....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_(Pixar_film)

Scroll down to "Merchandising"...LMAO! Their talking about US!

Brian

EDIT: Dang...the link does not bring me to the correct page. Just Google "pixar diecast shortage" and go to the Wikipedia link. Scroll down to "Merchandising".

Sorry!
    Last edited by BGLeduc; 07-05-2006 at 01:29 PM.

• Closed Account

Kay B Toys
    Toys R Us
    Target
    Walmart
    and other "Box" chain stores all had their Cars merchandise out about 2 weeks before the movie opened.

Disney "Under New Management" Store has ALOT of Cars merchandise. The only problem is they sell specific characters and not the entire line.

Example: Finding Nemo characters under Disney label were limited and our collection had to be completed by purchasing the Applause label items.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by BGLeduc
    You may find this link interesting....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_(Pixar_film)

Scroll down to "Merchandising"...LMAO! Their talking about US!

Brian
    Dammit! He's dead Jim!

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Cars (Pixar film in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
    Dammit! He's dead Jim!

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Cars (Pixar film in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings
    Damn! I have been trying to edit my original post because the link was bad....but I kept locking up. Now you beat me to it!

Don't know why, but you can get to the page in question my Googling "pixar diecast shortage"....the wikipedia article was the top link.

Sorry about the confusion.

Brian

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
    Kay B Toys
    Toys R Us
    Target
    Walmart
    and other "Box" chain stores all had their Cars merchandise out about 2 weeks before the movie opened.

Disney "Under New Management" Store has ALOT of Cars merchandise. The only problem is they sell specific characters and not the entire line.

Example: Finding Nemo characters under Disney label were limited and our collection had to be completed by purchasing the Applause label items.
    My dad's been to all the regular stores and getting his stuff, but I was hopeing for buying something DL specific for him. Mainly because I was going with my grandparents and cousins and since my mom had asked me to buy her a 50th magnet (to go with our 35th and 40th, even though the 50th really upstages them), I asked him what he wanted. He said Cars stuff, yet there was little in DL.

Here is a quote from the un-linkable(!) article:

The Mattel-produced die-cast cars are some of the most popular toys of the summer. Several stores are having trouble keeping the toys in stock, and some characters, such as Lizzie and Sarge, are difficult to find due to being shipped in lower numbers than other, more prominent characters. Some online Disney enthusiats are comparing it to the same shortage that Mattel faced with its Toy Story line in 1995. Because of these shortages, some of the die-cast cars are only readily available on Ebay.

Possibly the rarest of the models is Dinoco McQueen, NitroAde, Leakless, and Green Ramone, which just went in stock, but now they are rare. Dinoco McQueen is super rare due to it being a popular model.

Brian

Was at a WM at open the other day and they had probably about 7 pegs full of Cars toys. Went back two hours later and they were almost all gone.

At Toys R Us last weekend, word got out that they had a couple cases. There was like 20 people in line all going for the cars.

I am still searching for 4 single carded cars and two of the movie scene packs to complete my collection. Sarge, Leakless and Nitroade are no where to be found.

I have checked Toys R Us, Target, Walmart, Longs, Rite Aid, and Walgreens. I only ever see Lightning McQueen.

• Banned User

I saw a few displays at DLR of Cars, but don't recall even advertising for it. However over at the Block at Orange near Ron Jon they have a huge billboard advertising the opening of the movie which occured over a month ago.

Everything, even Pluto - I only saw him out once all week - is being overshadowed by Pirates!

I wanted something related to The King (you know, the Donoco Superbird) and they had nothing. Just Mater, Lightning, and Mac. lame.

• Disneyland Freak

This is all I ever saw at DLR for Cars and it was about a week before the film opened...

Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Life is Great!

guess hubby was lucky to find these 2 weeks ago the day after we took max to see the movie

i just told hubby about the shortage and he said he sees them all the time. he is a star wars collector so he is awlays checking out the toy sections at the stores and goes to toys r us regularly. i told him to buy any we dont have whenever he sees them so max can have them all. i did buy some clothes and shoes at walmart, but that was before the movie came out.
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• Still lost in Neverland

I have tons of Cars merchandising all over the place. Can't get away from it. Disney Stores, Wal Mart, Target, et all. Why would anyone want to buy Cars merchandise, or any other merchandise at Disneyland anyway. They charge more for movie related stuff than anyone elese. Take Star Tours for instance. All the figures they sell in that store at the end of the ride are overpriced by about $2.00 to $5.00. I realize that the Star Tours specific figures and the ride vehicle can only be purchased there, but other movie related stuff is much chepaer at Wal Mart or Target. Cars has tons of merchandise out, from small cars to radio controlled beasts and the Disney Stores have a whole front section devoted to them (They are overpriced as well, you are paying for the name as well as the toy).
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast