Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Grumpy old man

Lack of Cars merchandise

I don't know if it was my timing, or there just wasn't a lot in the first place. But when I went to DL on June 22-24 there was very little merchandise having to do with the movie Cars. Which seemed odd since it was the most recent movie and all. I wanted to get something for my dad (who is a car guy and really was into the idea of the movie, and the movie when we saw it yesterday), but there was nothing that really stood out that he'd like. I only saw some pens and some plastic toys in Emporium and nothing else really. I ended up getting him a Haunted Mansion Hearse pin.

So was it because there just wasn't a lot, or did my timing of going near and on the premier of the new POTC just kind of shove all the Cars merch out in favor of Pirates stuff?

• Rally Time!

Re: Lack of Cars merchandise

sadly, there never was much Cars stuff or promotion. It was almost non-existent - Anaheim was 100% Pirates.
    a friend of Walt.

• Dreaming of Disneyland...

i noticed that too. i figured with the refurb of potc all the emphasis was going to be on that.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

You can't even find Cars stuff in the regular stores anymore either! We got a few of the metal cars at KMart, but now they are gone. It seems that collectors bought a bunch and are now selling them on ebay. How rotten. My kid just wants to play with them, not save them for all eternity.

• Earth Intruder

Isn't this exactly what happened with Toy Story? LOL.... they even made fun of it on an "in-joke" during another Pixar movie how they didn't have enough toys made...

Apparently if you didn't get your CARS stuff immediately, it's basically ebay at a jacked up price for you.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

The diecast cars are totally un-obtanium at regular stores. I lucked out at a ToysRus on a Sunday morning a few weeks ago, but even then, I had to resort to eBay for a "Sally".

My local Target has absolutely NO "Cars" toys of any kind. My WalMart gets them in dribs and drabs.

I have actually looked in Targets and WalMarts in 4 states (during business trips), and came up empty.

Brian

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    Isn't this exactly what happened with Toy Story? LOL.... they even made fun of it on an "in-joke" during another Pixar movie how they didn't have enough toys made...
    it was Tour Guide Barbie in Toy Story 2. I also have noticed there is no Cars merch anywhere to be found. Even now a few weeks after the movie opening, I don't even see any advertisements for it, which is rare. I know Disney is pushing PotC more than anything right now, Cars just is a victim of a blockbuster movie series from the same company.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Banned User

Disney cared about disney, not pixar.

That sucks! We just saw the movie for the second time on Monday because the kids are soooo into it! My son already has Cars underwear (bought before the movie was even released) and Cars shoes. I bought him a Cars coloring book and he has stickers and little party favor-type toys that we got at the party store.

They also play a lot with the Cars they got from the Happy Meals at McDonald's. In fact, I need to take the kids there again soon because isn't PotC merchanidse going to be in Happy Meals starting Friday???

JULIE
    This is my signature.

• Just Me

WoD had a nice display last week. It wasn't in the toy area, but back by the kid's clothes.

• cast member

Talking Re: Lack of Cars merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad
    I don't know if it was my timing, or there just wasn't a lot in the first place. But when I went to DL on June 22-24 there was very little merchandise having to do with the movie Cars. Which seemed odd since it was the most recent movie and all. I wanted to get something for my dad (who is a car guy and really was into the idea of the movie, and the movie when we saw it yesterday), but there was nothing that really stood out that he'd like. I only saw some pens and some plastic toys in Emporium and nothing else really. I ended up getting him a Haunted Mansion Hearse pin.

So was it because there just wasn't a lot, or did my timing of going near and on the premier of the new POTC just kind of shove all the Cars merch out in favor of Pirates stuff?
    yes finally someone said that because i really wanted a dicastcar of "the king"
    cant wait for whats to come in the next few years www.starwars.com

• A Pirate's Life For Me

We made our first trip to WDW a few weeks ago and noticed the same lack of Cars merchandise there. Our friend's young boys asked us to get them something at WDW based on the Cars movie, but all we could find was POTC stuff. When my DW got home she ordered the Cars merchandise through the Internet.

I found a bunch of CARS stuff at Dollar Tree. Pens, Pencils, Erasers, pens with a car on top, folders, stickers. Try there maybe? It wasn't a lot but it was something

jan
    Janette

• Grumpy old man

Hah, right when my dad found out about the fact they were making diecast toys, he went after them. He's a huge diecast collector, has 1000s of them. Imagine being a kid, and your dad wanting to be the one going to Toys r Us!

Luckily he is a nice collector and knows these toys are for kids and he himself is just a big kid, so he never buys more than his share, even when he is buying to resell for his business.

• Sock Puppet

The Emporium has a whole rack full of crappy items. Of course, the best items like the die-cast cars and the soundtrack don't appear at Disneyland at all...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast