Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Donald's #1 Fan

I'd like to visit when the Christmas decorations are up, and crowds are down...

Complex request, huh?

Actually, I don't have any vacation time at all at my job, and my wife and I love quick visits to DL (arrive on Friday, depart on Monday morning). We were thinking about visiting the park when the Christmas decorations are up, but would like to know if there's a time when crowds are thin. I think December 2-3 or 9-10 may be good choices... am I on the right track?

I'd like to surprise her for our wedding anniversary with a pair of DL tickets!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: I'd like to visit when the Christmas decorations are up, and crowds are down...

The first few weeks of December have always worked when my family goes for christmas time. Even on a friday there was little crowds, saturday was pushing it though. If you really want small crowds should go when the weather isnt so hot, maybe a little overcast. It might be a little chilly if you're used to normal california weather but wont be too crowded.

• Mousketeer

Re: I'd like to visit when the Christmas decorations are up, and crowds are down...

Either of those dates should be good for what you want. Remember to check the schedule at disneyland.com for early closings and things like that. the candelite procession is usually around that time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

You're right on track with the dates. You should have a blast together!

The week before Thanksgiving usually works also (The Thursday before to the Tuesday of the week of Thanksgiving). When you reach the day before Thanksgiving, it usually gets busier due to schools being out. But the week before Thanksgiving we've found to be a great time, usually nice weather, and minimal crowds. This year it might be even lighter due to the 50th being over by then. Have fun!
    Always remember the Disney Magic!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

For me, the ideal dates would be November 28 or 29.(The Tuesday or Wednesday after Thanksgiving.) Our family has done this at least twice, and each time, with a bit of drizzle, Disneyland was nearly deserted. If it's raining too much, they could cancel the parade, but if there are showers during the day, you will have hit the jackpot. All of the Christmas decorations are up by then, and they will be running the Christmas Parade if there is no rain. The park might close at 9 or 10, but by that point, without the lines, you'll probably be done with your day.

Have fun!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Anytime before schools get out for Christmas vacation should be good. You bringing the 8 month old?
    Mike

• Disney Geekstrordinaire

The two weeks following Thanksgiving are generally the best because (as mentioned previously) there aren't many people on Christmas vacation yet. Your provided dates will probably be just fine. Have a great time! Christmas time at Disneyland is one of my favorite parts of the season!

• A Pirate's life for me!

For years now, we have been going for the week after Thanksgiving. It has been tiggerific! Both weather and (lack of) crowds. And the AP rates at the DL Hotel are a nice bonus.

Have a great trip!

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

We always go the first week in December, my birthday is Nov 30th and I love to spend my birthday at DL. The earlier in Dec the better! The first weekend is traditionally Candlelight , and they usually offer a dinner/candlelight package. If you are going I highly recomend this. The options are generally one of the restraunts at the hotels with a minimum dinner purchase ( not cheap, but well worth it for a good dinner and seating for Candlelight) Must make reservations!! We have done Hookes Pointe for dinner and it worked out well, another tip is make reservations for an early dinner so that you are not rushed attempting to finish dinner and rush to the park for seating ( seats are not assigned first come basis).
    The rest of the time the parks have not been overly crowded , we have always been able to enjoy everything in a 3 day span. Yes downside is they close earlier during this time period, but evening is a great time to sit in the lobby of GCH and have drink by the fire and also to go to DLH and look at the decorations.. I love the holidays at the resort!

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneysMagic
    The week before Thanksgiving usually works also (The Thursday before to the Tuesday of the week of Thanksgiving). When you reach the day before Thanksgiving, it usually gets busier due to schools being out. But the week before Thanksgiving we've found to be a great time, usually nice weather, and minimal crowds. This year it might be even lighter due to the 50th being over by then. Have fun!
    I agree...that Monday and Tuesday (generally) are good.
    Once Wednesday hits (day before Thanksgiving) it gets busy.
    Things should also slow down w/ the 50th being over in Sepetember.

I've heard beginning of December is good.

We have found that non holiday times, Tues and Wed are good days.
    Weekend people will sometimes stay until Monday
    Thursday can be ok, but by Friday it packs up and Saturday is the worst (but not July 1st this year for some odd reason)

However, when the word gets out...people start following these trends.
    I also found that last weekend for Christmas decor in January is not bad.
    January being the best time go period (atleast we found)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71
    January being the best time go period (atleast we found)
    Definitely, I went in January recently and everything was a walk-on. I rode everything in the entire park (that I wanted to ride) and you could show up to the lone showing of Fantasmic like 30 minutes before it began to get good seats.

It was amazing, I've never seen the park so empty before. However, I have to say that as much as I hate crowds (I'd literally rather stay home than go to Disneyland during Christmas break), having an empty park is not much fun either. It doesn't have any energy or intangible feeling of fun normally associated with the park. It feels more like you're at a small town fair or something and it's almost depressing in a way. When there's no one there due to rain it's kind of fun because it's a totally different feel to Disneyland when it's raining. But when it's a nice sunny day and no one's there, it just feels like *something* is missing.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

the only advice i can give is , i went in november last year and it was PACKED!! went back on december 23rd and it was a ghost town , well , not quite , but close , we only waited for space mountain , and even then it was only 15 min or so

My Maleficent tattoo

• Shablagoo!

i am planning on going down between veteran's day and thanksgiving this year. LAs time I went Veteran's day was the last day we were there and it was crowded, not Saturday in summer crowded, but definitely the busiest day of our trip.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmGreen
    the only advice i can give is , i went in november last year and it was PACKED!! went back on december 23rd and it was a ghost town , well , not quite , but close , we only waited for space mountain , and even then it was only 15 min or so

Due to the 50th, Disneyland was pretty much packed everyday.
    They beat many attendance records last year and start of 2006 didn't slow down much either. After the 50th, it SHOULD slow down.
    It they get that dreams thing going...the crowds MIGHT pick up.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast