Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• FastPass n00b

Disneyland's Parking Tram sucks

I'm sorry but I don't know any other way to say it. Although it is just simple transportation, Disneyland has never done anything simple. Disneyland has always been about hi-tech modes of transportation and this diesel-powered monster with a chainlink fence for scenery just doesn't feel like they exactly went all out. I admit, there's only so much you can do with a parking lot tram, but back in the 1960's there was only so much you could do with a hotel and theme park too and look at what happened to Disneyland and the Hotel. They could add some excitement or theming along the way, or even come up with a more creative way of moving people than a diesel tram.

To me, the trip should begin the minute you pay $10 for parking. You shouldn't feel like you're being bussed to the park, it should feel like you're enjoying the park already. It's the type of total immersion that Walt was so insistent upon and I'm hoping that one of these days the management will realize this. Even if it's just a beautiful garden that you're passing through, that'd be enough, that should've been the bare minimum at the time the tram was thought up.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Re: Disneyland's Parking Tram sucks

Good excuse to bring back the People Movers?
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Just hope you don't park at Simba or Pummba, then your only choice is to walk....

Pummba has you walk down Disney Way to Harbor, then past a bunch of hotels and restaurants (non-Disney) to get tot he resort.

Simba isn't much better, though most of your walk is on Disney property.

And if they open Buzz Lightyear, you are stuck taking special ART shuttles to the park, which take a lot longer to load, and have a lot less capacity (Since they go on public roadways, they have to be "street-legal", which the current trams are not).
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ
    Good excuse to bring back the People Movers?
    Correct

• Minion

I would rather see money put into the parks then the stupid 2 minute ride to downtown Disney. Enjoy the flowers and trees for christs sake ha ha... nature is beautiful.
    Jeff Wayne

You pay for access to the parks, not the parking lot trams. They need huge trams that have a massive capacity to carry tons of people to and from the park, usually, little children do not care about the theming of the trams because they are too excited to care. The People Movers aren't the most attractive vehicles either. We might as well theme the Anaheim city buses while at it because they travel to Disney as well.

• Banned User

Disney really doesn't even have to do the trams if they don't want to. They make guests walk to the parking lot when it gets really late.

• that's right!

To be fair, the old parking lots weren't really romantic at all. They were kind of just there. I actually fairly like the trams (in the morning... getting on after the fireworks is usually a nightmare), they're clean and comfortable and it's a short trip through a green path.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squinky
    To be fair, the old parking lots weren't really romantic at all. They were kind of just there. I actually fairly like the trams (in the morning... getting on after the fireworks is usually a nightmare), they're clean and comfortable and it's a short trip through a green path.
    The big difference between the OLD trams and the new version.

Back before DCA, the old trams would make MULTIPLE stops in the lot, which dramatically shortened the amount of walking required. On a day that the lot was full, you had about 12 stops as the tram made a full circuit around the lot.

Currently, if you get stuck in the north-west corner of the parking structure, you have a walk that is about as long as if you parked in the south end of the old lot before DCA!!!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Bruce Timm is a genuis.

I just wish they would up the amount of trams during the rush period. The Mickey & Friends tram stops each have the space to park four trams concurrently, yet when I was there on July 4, only 2 spots were running, making people have to wait for about three stops at one spot before being able to board.

I know they have the trams, I see them waiting to park!

How hard a concept is this to grasp?!
    Light a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My webpage, it's Blogtastic!

Now with working Guestbook!

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    The big difference between the OLD trams and the new version.

Back before DCA, the old trams would make MULTIPLE stops in the lot, which dramatically shortened the amount of walking required. On a day that the lot was full, you had about 12 stops as the tram made a full circuit around the lot.

Currently, if you get stuck in the north-west corner of the parking structure, you have a walk that is about as long as if you parked in the south end of the old lot before DCA!!!
    Which also made the trams a lot slower, as a process, with the multiple stops.

I noted two weeks ago they actually had all four trams loading and unloading after the fireworks, on both sides of the "Mickey and Friends" tram lot at the Downtown Disney stop.

• e komo mai

I like walking from the parking lot to the park. It's a quick walk and it helps build up the anticipation of getting to the park. I dislike waiting in those lines to get onto the tram. Bleh.

• Banned User

I hate trams.
    Last edited by captsmith84; 07-20-2006 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    You pay for access to the parks, not the parking lot trams. They need huge trams that have a massive capacity to carry tons of people to and from the park, usually, little children do not care about the theming of the trams because they are too excited to care. The People Movers aren't the most attractive vehicles either. We might as well theme the Anaheim city buses while at it because they travel to Disney as well.
    Disneyland used to think of everything on its property but outside of the turnstiles as the "Outer Lobby". And, Disneyland Paris was specifically planned so that guests would be able to enjoy gardens and other pleasant public spaces before said guests are forced to pay an admission fee. This way of thinking is customary in Europe.

Disneyland is nothing if not a controlled, planned, and holistic experience. The dramatic unities of space and time are important for all storytellers to understand, and Disneyland's people are no exception.

The trams do suck.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast