Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Enhancements to and Re-imaginings of Existing Attractions

Disney has finally realized the logic of "plus-ing" attractions in order to extend their life cycles and to, in the case of "Pirates" and "Space Mountain", actually draw visitors to the park as a whole.

What specific improvements would you like to see made to the stories and shows, which comprise the Disneyland experience currently?

For example, the final scenes of "Pirates of the Caribbean" always bothered me because guests were not able to feel the heat from the fires and burning embers. Additionally, the fire effects have started to strain believability, themselves.

I haven't visited the attraction since its recent re-imagining, but I hope that these issues have been addressed somehow. Using actual pyrotechnics in the climactic scenes, for example, would alone be cause enough for guests to visit "Pirates of the Caribbean" again.

Re: Enhancements to and Re-imaginings of Existing Attractions

I've mentioned this idea before, but my father made this same observation back in 1986.

When Star Tours opened, he asked me if the guests start in space or if they start from the ground. He never liked the fact that Space Mountain is as stylized as it was and still is.

Apparently, this stylization has bothered people in Imagineering, too.

At Disneyland Paris, the problem was solved with the cannon launch and the From the Earth to the Moon storyline.

At Disneyland, the problem was addressed by Eddie Sotto when he attempted to make the stylization seem more intentional. And, with the recent re-imagining, the creators attempt to explain that the entire mountain is some sort of vehicle that connects to a larger space station.

My thinking is that a fictitious space elevator that transports guests to a space station, similar to Space Station X-1, is an ideal solution. Space elevators are a very interesting alternative to rockets as a means to escape Earth's gravity, and seeing a space-station view of Earth, itself, is an opportunity very few people will ever have.

Artificial gravity through centrifugal force could help explain the conditions aboard the space station. "2001"-style curving floors and other show elements that disorient the guest would be able to convey this artificial-gravity effect.

I visited the attraction recently with a friend, and he went so far as to suggest that the backlit blue panels in the Space Dock be replaced with a series of displays that could believably simulate a constantly moving view of space that envelops and disorients the guests completely.

• Mousketeer

While I agree that it is important to improve rides with newer technologies in order to keep them fresh and relevant, I don't believe that Disney should tinker with rides just for the sake of tinkering. It reminds me of the directors cuts of movies or when Lucas went back and changed things in star wars. most of the changes did little to enhance the original, and many of them did nothing but detract from what it was that made the original so powerful.

There is no magic formula for making a successful movie or ride. you just try your best with what you have. When you make a movie or a ride and it is successful, you don't try and fix the story. the public has already bought off on the idea of the story. Sure you can add heat to the end of pirates, but changing them from women chasers to food chasers lessens the impact.

• The pride is back.

I agree with Yendorb. Change for change's sake isn't all that helpful, and there's a big difference between adding elements to Space Mountain (which I doubt bothers people all that much) and the recent additions to the HM and POTC. And while the heat idea would be a neat addition (and something Disney does well - see Indy, Test Track, etc.), I've been stuck in that portion of Pirates way too many times to welcome a blast furnace there.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, there's a big difference between the changes that will bring people through the gate and those little things that a bunch of us Disney geeks think would be cool. The money's got to go for the changes that make the most sense. Sometimes, that's a subjective concept, but in the case of the recent changes, I think they're doing the right thing for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb
    While I agree that it is important to improve rides with newer technologies in order to keep them fresh and relevant, I don't believe that Disney should tinker with rides just for the sake of tinkering. It reminds me of the directors cuts of movies or when Lucas went back and changed things in star wars. most of the changes did little to enhance the original, and many of them did nothing but detract from what it was that made the original so powerful.

There is no magic formula for making a successful movie or ride. you just try your best with what you have. When you make a movie or a ride and it is successful, you don't try and fix the story. the public has already bought off on the idea of the story. Sure you can add heat to the end of pirates, but changing them from women chasers to food chasers lessens the impact.
    There is good "plus-ing" and bad "plus-ing". Walt Disney would have probably tinkered with his films in re-release, too, since he publicly stated the frustration he had with movie-making in that respect. He also said that Disneyland would enable him to escape the feeling of being stuck with flaws or other imperfections.

George Lucas did make some good changes to Episodes IV-VI, but he certainly made some bad changes, as well. There is no reason, though, that artists with merit can't expand upon existing material, if they truly know what they are doing.

• Mousketeer

I disagree, if an artist has a new story to tell he should tell it with a new work. The creative process requires destruction, and because the medium is so subjective there is no right or wrong, so to change something that is right, may destroy the very essence of what was right about it in the first place.

I know artists like to go back and massage thier work or to place thier current understanding on older works, but it very seldom is successfull

Well, I'm not sure this thread is the place to debate whether or not treating all art as works-in-progress is appropriate, but, oftentimes, a creation is not perfect by the time that it reaches the public. So, I do wish the person or people responsible for said work would continue massaging it.

Star Wars: Episodes I-III are good examples. Is George Lucas stuck with "Jar-Jar Binks" for the rest of his life?

• Mousketeer

While I don't want to derail your thread, star wars and e.t. are both great examples of this. in episode 4 the infamous Han shoots first incident, and the removal of the guns from the cops in et are both prime examples of how tinkering with the original can detract from it.

I'm not against adding to rides, but to tinker without some compelling reason is usually bad in the end.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I would fix up Indy a little bit. First of all, the encounter with Mara at the beginning of the ride used to have a fog/smoke effect...then it froze over, and now the only way to fix/replace the thing is by ripping out the whole roof of the building...which obviously wouldn't be ideal. So instead, I would place smaller and more accessible fog/smoke machines in the area somewhere...maybe build an altar in front of Mara that could store it.

Then we have the rat room. Compared to the rest of the ride, this section is, IMO, a bit of a let-down. The projection is difficult to see, and all you do is end up running through it. It's time to install what Disney was originally going to do, but cut on budget because Honey I Shrunk the Audience got the effect instead. What am I talking about? A device under every seat that wiggles so it gives one the sensation of having something crawling at their feet. As for the rest of the area, I would cut the projection (as IMO it isn't convincing), brighten up the place and model it after Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade segment where Indy and Elsa walk through the tomb in Venice, with all the rats crawling around the dead bodies. These little rats would be all over, most sationary, some bobbing their heads, and some rushing around. Their eyes would be lit up red to make them more terrifying. To convey they dropping around (in addition to what's under the audience's feet), I would similarly design the area to have some water as it was in the tomb, with little blasts going off from under to make the simulation...and also have water droplets drip from the ceiling.

And to simply add to the bug room, I would clean up the projection and have the sensation under the feet.

Star Tours needs new videos. In addition to the old, in a new one, let's have an Ewok drive, with C3PO translating...I think it would be hilarious.

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    I would fix up Indy a little bit. First of all, the encounter with Mara at the beginning of the ride used to have a fog/smoke effect...then it froze over, and now the only way to fix/replace the thing is by ripping out the whole roof of the building...which obviously wouldn't be ideal. So instead, I would place smaller and more accessible fog/smoke machines in the area somewhere...maybe build an altar in front of Mara that could store it.

Then we have the rat room. Compared to the rest of the ride, this section is, IMO, a bit of a let-down. The projection is difficult to see, and all you do is end up running through it. It's time to install what Disney was originally going to do, but cut on budget because Honey I Shrunk the Audience got the effect instead. What am I talking about? A device under every seat that wiggles so it gives one the sensation of having something crawling at their feet. As for the rest of the area, I would cut the projection (as IMO it isn't convincing), brighten up the place and model it after Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade segment where Indy and Elsa walk through the tomb in Venice, with all the rats crawling around the dead bodies. These little rats would be all over, most sationary, some bobbing their heads, and some rushing around. Their eyes would be lit up red to make them more terrifying. To convey they dropping around (in addition to what's under the audience's feet), I would similarly design the area to have some water as it was in the tomb, with little blasts going off from under to make the simulation...and also have water droplets drip from the ceiling.

And to simply add to the bug room, I would clean up the projection and have the sensation under the feet.

Star Tours needs new videos. In addition to the old, in a new one, let's have an Ewok drive, with C3PO translating...I think it would be hilarious.
    This is what I'm talking about. any of these ideas could be nice enhancements to the rides that the pinapple addict has suggested, but, for example, if it was suggested that we need to add a room to the line of star tours that is a teleporting room to take us to a galaxy long ago and far away, that would not improve the ride but would be a distraction from the ride and its success.

• Animatronic

Of all the rides in the park with unrealized potential, it's Indy. I'm really not a fan of the "Knott's Mine Train Ride" central room that you see over and over again, especially since, unlike Knott's, you get a clear view of it each time and it's rather bland. The side rooms are also lacking. I think they could re-imagine the flow of the ride to tell a stronger, less repetitious story, and make the ride less annoyingly shakey as well!

To quote my friend, "you walk forever and then they shake you, that's all I remember"

• Monorail Racer

Indy could probably benefit from a few 'pluses', but it doesn't need to be radically changed at all. I don't think Space Mountain is all that confusing either. I mean, how do you explain that you're on a boat in the middle of a pirate battle? Not all those things need to be explained to enjoy the story and the ride.

I'd probably look at plusing the Jungle Cruise just a little bit. I'm not sure exactly how, but I'm sure there are some little fog effects that could be added here and there and more animated responses from some of the animals, sound, etc.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Well, I'm not sure this thread is the place to debate whether or not treating all art as works-in-progress is appropriate, but, oftentimes, a creation is not perfect by the time that it reaches the public. So, I do wish the person or people responsible for said work would continue massaging it.

Star Wars: Episodes I-III are good examples. Is George Lucas stuck with "Jar-Jar Binks" for the rest of his life?
    Basically. It was his decision to put Jar Jar Binks in the original and keep him in the other films. While I would consider removing him from the films "good plus-ing", I also have the special edition DVDs of Stripes and the Blues Brothers with deleted scenes, and after reviewing the deleted scenes, there is a good reason they were deleted in the first place.

I don't see any need to tinker with Star Tours or Space Mountain. Most people have imaginations, so they can create their own reason why they might have made it to outer space.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoaster
    I'd probably look at plusing the Jungle Cruise just a little bit. I'm not sure exactly how, but I'm sure there are some little fog effects that could be added here and there and more animated responses from some of the animals, sound, etc.
    did'nt they just do that for the 50th? more animals more elephants , the exlosions in the water at the gorilla camp?? that's all new , the parhrana attack at the end... what more do you want? he he he

My Maleficent tattoo

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

I Like indy, but yes...the rat room can be improved uppon...and instead of walls with skeletons painted on them...they should be built up skeletons! with the painted wall behind them. the Lasar and Fire effects need to be updated too. U know, the part where u are about to pass over thr bridge. And i DO NOT think that the ride needs to be less bumpy and jerky...thats what makes it the Indiana Jones Ride in the first place...ohh and in the beginning when i went when POTC reopened, the mirrors didnt move. That could be fixed (if its broken) if its just a minor thing...forget it.

As for Star Tours I would agree with alot of ppl about going on different trips instead of always "trying" to go to endor. And i dont care about how i got into space in the first place. I mean yea!...how are there a slew of little boats in the middle of a town being sacked by pirates? Same thing.

Peter Pan need to be updated too. I know when i went to the one in Florida, London looks alot better than the one we have here. Lots more lights and there are actual buildings instead of a flat overhead view like in DL. The stars can be re-done too when u circle Neverland.

I know they added alot more to the Jungle Cruise...and i like the changes (especially the Parana). Its alot better since ive last been on. But acting...haha u gotta really be in character and lively. Unless Being a total Lifeles joke machine is how its supposed to be...that might be something to look into.

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast