Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question 1st Post - 1st Question - How Old?

Hello I am a long time reader of Miceage but this is my first post to Micechat.

So my daughter just turned 1 yesterday and I can't wait to take her to Disneyland!

How old do you think a child should be to enjoy Disneyland?

Hmm, maybe I should rephrase that question . . .

How old do you think a child should be for both her and her parents to enjoy Disneyland?

Something to consider:

Disneyland is a 6 hour drive or 3 hour flight (3 hours include getting to and from airports, security, etc)

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: 1st Post - 1st Question - How Old?

I think she'll have a grand old time. Will she remember it? Maybe, maybe not. Will she have fun in the moment? Of course. Will you remember it? Forever.

However old you want it to be. Take the kid, have fun
    Last edited by Morrigoon; 07-06-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

At one year old, I don't think she will enjoy too much of the park and she definitely won't remember anything. If you are traveling with another adult, then it's fine to bring her along so that you two can have fun by using the kid swap thing, but I think SHE is too little to enjoy it. I would wait til she's at least 2-3 years old for her to enjoy it.

Then when she is older and starts getting into it, your enjoyment radically declines because you're stuck doing kid things all day and can't do adult things as much. That's my experience anyway.

That said, I took my son when he was 5 months old and I was able to eat, shop, and look around all I wanted, but didn't ride too many rides.

I took my daughter when she was 2 months old and son was then 2 years old (alone with no other adult) and we managed to go on some rides and see shows and it was OK, but not the best time for an adult.

Now that my kids are 4 and 6 they can go on almost any ride, plus they can walk and talk and make decisions and it's a lot better.

JMHO!
    JULIE
    This is my signature.

My first post today too.

Technically, they won't remember it any time below three or four.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

My parents started taking me to Disneyland when I was an infant. Of course, I have no recollection of my first few trips, but my parents enjoyed taking us no matter how young we were. My first memory of a Disneyland visit would be around 1960 when I was 3. But remember, just because she might not remember it years later, babies can still enjoy the moment, and she'll have pictures to look back on.

Really, it's whatever you are comfortable doing. Some people think it's a real pain to take a baby, while others wouldn't think of leaving them at home. Personally, I think she'll have a blast. Just take it slow and let her rest when she needs to.

• Monorail Racer

My daughter's first real visit that she enjoyed at all besides just being pushed around in a stroller would have been when she was three years old. She had fun on some of the kiddie rides and the strollers, but she didn't really begin to appreciate most of the rides until she was more like five or six years old.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

•   
    • Minion

I remember talking about this as a family growing up, the prevaling thought was 5, which I must dispute... But I have seen a lot of 2 year olds who have a lot of fun...

Any younger and you have to wonder what the point is, really...
    Check out my other blog:

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay
    My first post today too.

Technically, they won't remember it any time below three or four.
    I don't know.
    Kids are smarter than we think.
    As soon as they start to walk, motor skills are into play and memorization begins (best 2 and later).
    When you ask them later on in life, sure they won't remember, but for a short time span they'll remember what happened.
    Also, if they watch disney shows/movies they will recogonize the characters.
    Just seeing the look on your child face and how happy they are to see the characters is worth the trip (starting around 2--because they are talking)
    Sure, you can do some rides, but the joy is from your child's face.
    All IMO (with some facts due to working around kids under 4 and taking a trip w/ my nephew (who passed in March before turning 2))
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Official Mice Chat person

If she's 1 she most likely won't remember it, but it's still a blast for the parents. My brother brought is 1 year old along last trip, and we had so much fun watching her eyes light up on Pirates of the Caribbean, or Winnie the Pooh... And just seeing her get so happy to meet a character she loved, etc. etc. So the child will have fun in the moment, won't remember much... But you will remember it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71
    I don't know.
    Kids are smarter than we think.
    As soon as they start to walk, motor skills are into play and memorization begins (best 2 and later).
    When you ask them later on in life, sure they won't remember, but for a short time span they'll remember what happened.
    Also, if they watch disney shows/movies they will recogonize the characters.
    Just seeing the look on your child face and how happy they are to see the characters is worth the trip (starting around 2--because they are talking)
    Sure, you can do some rides, but the joy is from your child's face.
    All IMO (with some facts due to working around kids under 4 and taking a trip w/ my nephew (who passed in March before turning 2))
    True.

Whether or not they'll remember it is a pretty cold approach to the question in general. As long as they enjoy it it will probably be worth it.
    In my case, one of my first memories is seeing "Return of the Jedi" when I was three. I've been an avowed Star Wars fan ever since. Similarly, I went to Disneyland, I believe, that same year. I've been at least marginally obsessed with it ever since, even though I don't have concrete memories of the trip.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• insufferable know-it-all

The nice thing about a very young child is that they often don't know that there are things to be afraid of in this world yet. Tons of kids come to DL at 2 and have no problem with the rubberheads, but they come back at 3 and are terrified. Funny how that works.

Take her! Go! Have fun!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• up to no good

Im not an expert but if you do go keep her active with shows and characters they have at Disney. I guess the colors and silly faces will keep her going. As for the adults your never to old to enjoy DISNEY.....

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

my perents said we went every year since i was 1 , and my brother went as a fetus , and even though i dont remember it , i'm sure i was having a blast

My Maleficent tattoo

• Neep meep beep

Disneyland is ideal for those ages 8 to 30 -- and when I say "ideal", I mean old enough to really appreciate and get "into" Disneyland.

However, speaking from personal experience, I only became a passholder (and then a member of this board), after my son turned one in March.

And he really loves Disneyland. Ideally, he would like Disneyland to consist only of the puddle park in DCA, Goofy's House and Mickey's house in Toontown, the parade, It's a Small World, and the Fireworks, but I was suprised to see him light up, clap with applause, and squeal with delight at those things, along with the look in his eyes when he realized that he could actually get behind the wheel of an actual CAR in Autopia.

I think all of you will have a great time, and Disneyland is very baby friendly. Be sure to check out the Baby Care center in both parks.

• Banned User

Hmmm. The age specifically for her to enjoy disneyland and run around taking your hand...3 or 4.

ages 1-2 you will have to carry her or put her in a stroller.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast