• Say no to Assimilation

Talking Disney Geeks in Training.

My daughters are playing Disneyland right now. They set up different lands around the house and they ride the rides in each land. They know what rides belong where and even have the lands in the right places. It's hilarious. They are 6 and 2. Anyone else have Disney geeks in training?
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Disney Geeks in Training.

Talk to twinmom. I think she can relate

One summer, my sister and turned our garage into a dark ride (very much inspired by Disneyland). We would pull the neighbor kids in our little red wagon through the "ride". This was in 1962, so I guess you can rest assured that kids have been "playing Disneyland" for many years.

That is so cute! My son (who's 4) doesn't do that yet. However I hear, "I want Disneyland, please" about five times a day! Anytime we get in the van he thinks we're going to DL and starts singing songs from Pirates and Small World. That's my boy!!!!

• Head Salesman

Yeah, I remember making "rides" when I was a kid. I usually made my sister the guinea pig.

One of the big things was Star Tours. My parents had a minivan that looked kinda like a Starspeeder 3000. It even had an automatic side door. Sometimes, I'd get into one of the seats, push the button that closes the side door, the cabin lights would dim automatically, and I'd imagine I was on the ride.

I also discovered that an opened a-frame ladder layed on one of its sides looks a lot like the nose of an x-wing. Balance it on something small, and you could pivot it.

I used to collect little Disney figurines. You know, the ones that used to be sold at Disneyland in large bins. I'd take my Jenga blocks and "recreate" rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, and general areas of the park. Then I'd use the Disney figurines as characters or park guests.

One summer, I decided to try and create a miniature Jungle cruise. I had an elaborate plan to have real plants and everything. Water currents would run the boats.

Another summer, I decided to try and create a miniature Splash Mountain.

Oh, the fun I had. Yeah, I'm a freak.
    Last edited by Trader Sam; 07-06-2006 at 04:17 PM.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Head Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalCastle
    That is so cute! My son (who's 4) doesn't do that yet. However I hear, "I want Disneyland, please" about five times a day! Anytime we get in the van he thinks we're going to DL and starts singing songs from Pirates and Small World. That's my boy!!!!
    Yeah, I'm getting my 3-year-old Nephew started on that. Just the other day, out of the blue, he told his mom that he wanted to go on Buzz Lightyear. It's enough to make you swell with pride.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Minion

Red Face Re: Disney Geeks in Training.

My bedroom in a very interchangable "land". Some nights it's "Adventureland", other nights "Fantasyland". I would mention some of the rides but I'm sure I'd be censored

• I <3 Clarinet.

I used to play Disneyland all the time. Even trying Splash Mountain in a box down the stairs...although I'm sure OSHA wouldn't have approved of that idea. Mainly because I ended up as a crying heap at the end of the ride.

I've got my younger brothers trained to identify anything from the Musical History of Disneyland set. He probably won't get to the geek-dom of myself...but it's nice to know that he won't be the type to tease me later in life.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Wolfette is fully trained......ask anyone who knows her! Started at 5, she's turning 10 in September. Total Disney Geek and proud of it!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette