• Luckiest Man Alive!

Anyone Go To The Pirates Event Last Night?

Note: this is NOT a slam on POTC, CM's, Special Events Personel, NOS, POTC DMC, D/L, Dwarves, Pirates, Cannibals....

I just called a friend of mine that went to the POTC DMC event last night - after having been through it all, he was glad that he had not personally paid to go to the event (he & his g/f had been sponsored), saying that the freebies, dinner, discussion panel & entertainment weren't really up to the level he had expected...... I had decided not to go, due to it's high cost & D/L's recent track-record for events. Since my friend & I have been to virtually every other event so far, I trusted his comments & reviews:

Freebie Gifts:
    An exclusive deck of cards (he said that it looks suspiciously like the regular POTC set they sell in the park, but hadn't put both sets side-by-side to compare)
    Special event pin in a pirates chest
    Mickey POTC red bandana/ears thingy (he didn't explain that one real well)

Dinner:
    He said that the dinner was a buffet, was very well laid out, featuring fresh sliced fruit, boneless beef ribs, beans, turkey legs & some very delicious desserts.
    One drawback was that the Panel Discussion was started while everyone was eating, so it made it tough to follow the Discussion with everyone milling around picking-up food & talking to friends. Not good timing on Disney's part.

Entertainment:
    He said that they received scrolls with clues on them, directing everyone around the room to hunt for 'treasure', gold-colored plastic coins. Once everyone collected 2 of them, they stood in line to hand them to the 'captain', who then proceeded to deposit them in a chest (No reward for finding the 'treasure'?). After everyone turned in their 'gold' coins, the captain declared that there must be hold-outs & proceeded to send his men through the room, waving swords, looking for anyone hoarding 'their' coins. My friend didn't go into any more detail about that, other than it seemed hastily contrived.

Ride-Thru Of POTC:
    My friend said that it was nice to have a separate que to get onto the ride, but the timing could have been better - he said that the attraction was a walk-on, but with Fantasmic running & the Fireworks soon after, NOS became quickly grid-locked & made it tough to get to the attraction & to re-ride it again. They did get on it twice though....

Movie:
    I'll leave the reviews for others more qualified, but he did say that Disney did not display any props or costumes from the movie (like they did last time) and people had started lining up for it at 8PM, with the movie not due to start until 12:15AM, that became a long wait.....
    Apparantly, Event personel thought someone had sneaked into the theater, so they asked all of the attendees to check their seat-mates to verify if anyone was there without a lanyard or wrist-band, when that didn't reveal anyone, they asked everyone to raise their lanyard - he didn't say if that worked or not.

OK, enough of my rambling, anyone else have info/comments to share?
    Robert
    B5, Marcus Cole:
    I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair, then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserved them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe........

• Banned User

Re: Anyone Go To The Pirates Event Last Night?

So disney screwed up?

What event was this?

• I <3 Clarinet.

The event details are here: http://link.toolbot.com/register123.com/16186.

It's too bad that the event was so lackluster. I've always been itching to go to a special Disneyland event...but with prices so steep and expectations almost never met, the cost just can't be justified!

• Luckiest Man Alive!

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz
    So disney screwed up?
    No, I wouldn't say they screwed up, ever since the Villains event, they really haven't quite hit the mark dead-on, the TOT event was good, just not the deluxe event Villains was.....
    B5, Marcus Cole:
    I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair, then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserved them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe........

I went to the event and I had a great time. Alot of people dressed up in pirate costumes, some went way over the top.

The photo opportunity backdrop they had setup was really cool and I did like getting the free pirate mouse ears. The pin is nice and the treasure chest that it came in is still a better gift than the gold plate from the 50th event.

The Dinner was great, food was excellent, along with the pirate "Grog" which I think was pineapple rum. they had the group from the golden horseshoe revue up on the stage playing music while we were getting food and eating.
    I was pleasantly suprised by the panelist of pirate attraction imagineers since I had not heard beforehand that that was happening, but it was difficult to hear them, mainly because some of them did not understand how to speak into a microphone.
    The gold coin thing was cheesy, but the decorations around the room were incredible, and I think that activity was to get you to go around the room and look at those things. and I did take 2 coins and only return 1 to the captain, so I guess that makes me a Pirate! ARRRR!
    Dessert was awesome.

then they suprised us with giving everyone free admission to the park (they originally said you needed to provide your own park admission) but the logistics were poorly done because they walked 500 people through downtown disney like a heard over to the newstand gate and dumped us onto mainstreet 10 minutes before the firework show. we then had to go through the crowd control ring all they way around the hub to get over to frontierland, where fantasmic was just ending. so even though we had the special queue from 9-11, noone got there until 9:30

But they did have the right side of the queue for event guests only which was really nice. We went on it three times, and probably could have made it 5 times, but we went back to the theatre.

The only frustrating thing was that the CMs controling the line outside the AMC theatre knew absolutely nothing. they did not know which theatre we were in, and they kept saying things that made it sound like they weren't even sure if someone had made sure that there were enough seats for everyone. but once we got in the theatre it was clear that we were all in the big theatre that had like 600 seats and there was no need to worry.

the funny logistical issue was that they gave everyone a voucher for a free small drink and popcorn at the AMC theatre. so can you imagine 500 people trying to redeem those coupons all at once! it was pretty funny.

The movie was great except it ended in a cliffhanger and I hate it when movies do that. you gotta stay past the credits though, there is a cute hidden scene at the end.

Overall it was a fun evening and that is what I paid for. I think some people have way too high expectations on the freebies. I did not actually put in any RSP because I thought all of the merchandise was overpriced and just not my style.

so Thank You to Martha and Cathy and Timm and the gang for a fabulous evening!
    Last edited by superphred; 07-07-2006 at 12:05 PM.

• Luckiest Man Alive!

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself & filled in some of the stuff I forgot about - my friend mentioned the room decs also - outstanding! He had mentioned the line for the vouchers in the movie theater overwhelming the staff.

Personally, I would have liked to have gone, but my life is just to busy at the moment - I think this is the first post I've done on MiceChat in like 3 - 4 months....
    Robert
    B5, Marcus Cole:

• insufferable know-it-all

I didn't attend the event, but a kind soul allowed me to get a pic of their lanyard passes:

And of course, I stood in the super-crowded regular line for Pirates next to this sign:

Now, of course I love the idea that they do something for the people who attend the events, but I don't think that doing the ride as a mix-in is appropriate, as it tends to make regular park guests (especially non-regulars who don't know about merchandise events) upset and feel like 2nd class citizens. I'd rather they waited till the park officially closed, then let the event attendees have the attraction to themselves for an hour.

The ears looked like the regular pirate ears but with the date embroidered in (like they did for the 50th)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by superphred

The movie was great except it ended in a cliffhanger and I hate it when movies do that. you gotta stay past the credits though, there is a cute hidden scene at the end.
    Ok, I saw the movie here in Phoenix last night and saw NO scene at the end, after the credits!!! PM me, tell me what it was!!! Please!!!
    o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

• He's a Beautiful Pirate..

Not Close Enough to the House of the Mouse

My group had a ton of fun! We arrived early to sign in and check out the place. The line to get our gifts, etc was quick. My group stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, so our extra gift was a really nice stein with the logo of the event. (If you stayed at the Grand, what was your extra gift?) We liked the decorations, the place for our photo and the purchasing. We picked up our RSP items and it went very smooth. The guys were awesome who showed us our items out of the boxes. We decided to pass on the artist signings for an afternoon at the park. In the evening we arrived for dinner in a amazing room for 450-500 people. The food was outstanding. For our special drink, we received a glass where the stem lit up. And it was good! The room was dark, with ambiance lighting and a stage. The tables were beautiful in black, red napkins and a large candle centerpiece with more candles. They had mickey donuts and wonderful breads. For the entertainment, Billy and the Hillbillies were the "Mauraders" and did their usual outstanding job. The panel was made up of Joel Harlow, Blaine (oh-my-mind-just shut down), Mary Davis, a few other Imagineers and X Antencio (spelling). (I can't remember names right now...I'm still SO tired!) Oh-my-gosh, that was neat! They all came in looking like the pirates had tied them up, so it was kind of funny. They all had great stories. In the end, Jack Sparrow showed up to join in the fun. This is a short version of what happened, but the entertainment was terrific. The desert was what they serve in the sugar treasure chest at the Blue Bayou (beautiful presentation). My entire group loved our food. WE HAD A BALL!!! And can't say enough good things about it. We are still talking about it. Yes, walking thru Downtown Disney and through Main Street with a ton of people and everyone waiting for the Fireworks, was challenging. By the time we got to the ride, Fantasmic was just ending. So, you can imagine. We had our own line and that was a great treat! We had to go out the exit and they made us go over the bridge, turn left at the tree and work our way around. Oh...this was painful knowing your in a group and trying to get through Fantasmic crowds. (We found out later we could have stayed on the ride and they would have put us through again.) We went a few more times and it was fine. The ride is amazing! They did a terrific job. The Davy Jones effect is fabulous! The Jack Sparrow AA's are subtle. We arrived at the theater around 10:45 and found our place in line. The CastMembers showed us exactly where to stand, and all was well. We had perfect seats in the theater. And, the movie is terrific! Love Jack's "entrance"!!! Love Jack Sparrow! And, that Davy Jones...WOW! What a character! We enjoyed the movie and can't wait for #3. We had a great time. We knew we were in for Fantasmic and fireworks and it just added to the "event". We tried to laugh through it. We made it through, knew what we needed to do, and had a great time doing it. If any of you castmembers who were involved with the event, THANK YOU for making our time a memorable one!!!