Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    Dont forget, adults aren't the only ones who go to this park... The ride has to also be kid friendly for the most part, kids loved nemo, and I think the ride is now being aimed towards that group...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    Aaaaaaaaaaaah. Why must all new rides be based on Pixar cartoons? Nemo is a cartoon fish. He's Fantasy, not the future. There was no sub in the movie. It makes no sense. I say make it the best dang sub ride you can. Have giant sharks attack. Have a motion base on part of the track or on the sub to bounce things around. There's a lot of ways it could be a modern E-Ticket ride. A cartoon clown fish isn't one of them.
    The sharks hung out in a sub! Major plot point anyone?

• Minion

I wont say anything negative till I ride the ride. I'm just glad I will get to ride the subs again.

I have always loved how Disney presents atmosphere and illusion in such a convincing fashion (well at least when they do it without $$$ constraints!) That said, I am all for AA & other technologies presented in NEMO as long as they are cutting edge & present the kind of WOW! factor that we have come to expect.

With an animated tie in such as Nemo, I don't think real live animals are that appropriate personally and feel the more plastic approach will fit the cartoony look.

As far as Nemo fitting into Tomorrow's theme, I would say that if the ride was solely based on the film then it really has no place in Tomorrow. The great thing is the ride will be introduced as a focus on ecology and the future of our seas. That will give it the perfect tie from fact to Fantasy and help it fit Tomorrow. Nemo was an immensely popular Disney /PIXAR production. It only makes sense to capitalise on it. After all, thatís what the business of fun is all about!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Dont forget, adults aren't the only ones who go to this park... The ride has to also be kid friendly for the most part, kids loved nemo, and I think the ride is now being aimed towards that group...
    Kids are only kids for so long.

How long were Masters of the Universe popular? A couple years. Then, fifteen years later, they came back. And now they're gone again...

The problem with turning Disneyland into Kiddieland is that that's a very narrow demographic. And as the Disney company admits, it went through a period where kids weren't interested because Disney was "for kids," and kids tend to want the things teens and adults have. Kids try to stay up late, beg to see a PG-13 movie, and wear thick-soled shoes so they can ride grown-up rides. On the other hand, it's very rare that adults want to ride kiddie rides.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Old Timer

Thats a very good comment about how adults percieve a ride vs. a childs perspective, I wonder if its possible to actually split the difference? have both a fantasy theme of Nemo and a more adventure of surprises of a sorts as well?
    I forget the actual route involve but could it be theoretically possible to have in effect two submarine rides? One that has show elements only of Nemo that may have a different sub design from other subs? Perhaps when those specific subs enter the show building Nemo scenes pop up instead of another theme, its been so many years since I rode the subs. Could another loading area be built more in Fantasyland for the Nemo theme?
    If I had an open checkbook I would design a sub ride that had similar aspects of Stormchaser at TDS but instead of atmospheric visuals its underwater and our mission is to prevent a cataclysmic tsunami. Or visit an underwater city that is a center for mineral and medicine research, but during the "cruise" we meet a Draken a legendary superbeast or a megalodon a prehistoric shark that is over 200 ft. loong and we help protect the underwater city, something like that. Or follow an Abyss theme of friendly underwater aliens that "suggest" we "all get along".
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• U. B. Bold

A Whole New Land?

Has anyone else heard the rumor floating about the the new Subs may not even be in Tomorrowland at all? No, they're not going to move the lagoon, but the loose talk I heard was that there is a concept out there for combining the Matterhorn (which never really fit in Fantasyland or Tomorrowland), the Subs and something new in the old Moterboat Cruise area into an entire new land with an exploration or discovery theme. That would certainly answer the Nemo/future problem and would make more sense for the Matterhorn as well. I don't know how reliable this info is but it does seem plausible.
    The only problem I can see is that the Sub loading area is technically in Tomarrowland.
    Well, those imagineers can be pretty clever folks when the purse strings are untied and I'm sure they could find a way around that. In fact, the queue could begin over near the base of the Matterhorn and snake its way around the lagoon to end up at the current loading area, effectively moving the ride "entrance" to the other side.
    Have a look at some of the satelite images out there and you'll see that there is plenty of room for this new land. Its about twice the size of Critter Country.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Banned User

remember.... the Materhorn used to be classified as TL for a while.....

• U. B. Bold

Yes. When it opened in '59 the Matterhorn was in Tomorrowland. Don't remember the exact year, but sometime in the '60s it was "moved" on park maps into FL.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder
    Yes. When it opened in '59 the Matterhorn was in Tomorrowland. Don't remember the exact year, but sometime in the '60s it was "moved" on park maps into FL.
    Yeah, depending on where you get your info, it seems to have happened in the 1972 guidemaps, though a couple sources say it happened with the World on the Move Tomorrowland makeover.

Of course, with Autopia officially in Tomorrowland, it's going to be awkward calling the Sub Lagoon Fantasyland, especially as the Monorail loads right there, and hopefully the PeopleMover will once again ride over it.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

First off I don't think a ride through an aquarium is quite what I'd look for at a Disney theme park, I dunno I think I'd expect something a little more "magical"

then again I'd probably accept and love a submarine aquarium ride in SeaWorld but that's SeaWorlds thing (Shark Encounter is awsome and yet if it were at Disneyland I probably wouldn't make a point to see it, just different mindests when I go to different parks I suppose)

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    I have to say, the whole Nemo thing is trouble, no matter how you slice it. If the whole ride was devoted to Nemo, it would be a dull ride. If people thought octopi eating sharks was boring, send them into the water to watch a clown fish... If they just put in a few show scenes, it'll be too Gummi Glen. Combining the original Sub Voyage and Nemo will be like combining oil and vinegar. Imagine being the poor guest who pays $200 for his family of four to get into the park, and realize this isn't a brand new ride at all. Nor is it the classic attraction we've all been waiting seven years to ride again. I'd hate to be in City Hall when that happens...

About the only real solution involving Nemo is just to have Ellen create a Dory narration and leave the show itself alone. It may not be as marketable, but just don't market it. Or build a clever local campaign and rely on that crazy new invention called the Internet to create a positive buzz. The fact is, Matt has proven through other programs that reductions in crowding leads to a better guest experience which leads to more guest spending. Bringing back the Subs doesn't have to be all about attracting new guests. It should be about providing a better experience to the guests who are already there.
    I don't see quite how adding the Nemo character completly destroys the Sub ride, if I'm recalling right you see Mermaids and other "goofy" fantasyish stuff durring the ride (oooh the final sea monster was goofy)

if you ask me the subs were never very futuristic feeling, it's always felt like it's been apart of the same area as the Matterhorn and that they're almost their own land of sorts (maybe this is because Walt built them together and they compliment each other visualy) which is probably while I'm always saying Dinsey should just combine them with a few other rides that don't fit and give the area a general theme that does (since it can so easily be sewn together)

admittedly the area has a science like overtones but it's never been futuristic in the way that the the rest of Tomorrowland has, it seems more about exploration (Exploring mountains and exploring the sea, Autopia can be combined into this easily and so can the train station with the grand canyon scene)

beyond that even the Nemo overlay really won't hurt the Subs basic premise which is simply a journey under the ocean. The new effects could be great and some of the scenes may be kept and altered while others will probably be changed drasticaly.

I don't see it being too boring thought he nemo movie was a bit boring, what we'll likly see is an origional plot of some sort filled with a bunch of origional scenes (the ship graveyard might be spared and we'll meet Bruce and his gang there) we'll probably have a Jellyfish scene inplace of the mermaids I'd assume

I doubt they'd leave much of the old ride in tact it's not worth it anyways. alot of people were unimpressed and nobody's going to buy itno it of to much of the old ride is still there

Nemo and subs isn't like oil and vinager it's more like water and packaged oatmeal o_O (feel free to interpet that as you may)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I don't see quite how adding the Nemo character completly destroys the Sub ride, if I'm recalling right you see Mermaids and other "goofy" fantasyish stuff durring the ride (oooh the final sea monster was goofy)
    Okay, lemme simplify...

Imagine if Haunted Mansion Holiday wasn't a complete overlay, but rather just four random scenes thrown into the existing story. To add to the randomness, let's put, oh I dunno, Monsters Inc characters inside this New Orleans Square attraction because, wellllll, they're monsters, and a Haunted Mansion should be scary. Now, you're gonna tick off people who wanted a Monsters ride, because this really wouldn't be a Monsters ride. And you're going to honk off a lot of purists who don't want classic rides used to sell more DVDs and plushes.

Similarly, turning the whole New Orleans Haunted Mansion into a Monsters ride, but using the same old omnimovers and the same exact exterior and structural interior... Let's face it, as cool as HMH is, there's a reason why it's done as a seasonal presentation.

Now, if the Sub budget included enough money to make it viable to do a seasonal overlay, fine. Have the official Tomorrowland holiday be Earth Day, and have Nemo... oh, I dunno, guide us through an example of a civilization destroyed because of its poor relationship to the environment, melting polar icecaps, creatures that have mutated as a result of pollution, yadda yadda yadda. But as a permanent attraction, Adding Nemo just doesn't have the chops.

-- Walt Disney

• the subs were cool maan

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    First off I don't think a ride through an aquarium is quite what I'd look for at a Disney theme park, I dunno I think I'd expect something a little more "magical"
    so your saying its better to see fake fish then real fish? It will add more realism to the ride....which is imfamous for having obsolete show effects. so with REAL fish, well anything that is REAL never really turns Obsolete

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy
    so your saying its better to see fake fish then real fish? It will add more realism to the ride....which is imfamous for having obsolete show effects. so with REAL fish, well anything that is REAL never really turns Obsolete
    Death makes real fish pretty obsolete.

-- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Okay, lemme simplify...

Imagine if Haunted Mansion Holiday wasn't a complete overlay, but rather just four random scenes thrown into the existing story. To add to the randomness, let's put, oh I dunno, Monsters Inc characters inside this New Orleans Square attraction because, wellllll, they're monsters, and a Haunted Mansion should be scary. Now, you're gonna tick off people who wanted a Monsters ride, because this really wouldn't be a Monsters ride. And you're going to honk off a lot of purists who don't want classic rides used to sell more DVDs and plushes.

Similarly, turning the whole New Orleans Haunted Mansion into a Monsters ride, but using the same old omnimovers and the same exact exterior and structural interior... Let's face it, as cool as HMH is, there's a reason why it's done as a seasonal presentation.

Now, if the Sub budget included enough money to make it viable to do a seasonal overlay, fine. Have the official Tomorrowland holiday be Earth Day, and have Nemo... oh, I dunno, guide us through an example of a civilization destroyed because of its poor relationship to the environment, melting polar icecaps, creatures that have mutated as a result of pollution, yadda yadda yadda. But as a permanent attraction, Adding Nemo just doesn't have the chops.
    yeah I think we're imagining two different overlays here

I'm imagining a very optimistic what I'd do type overlay so yeah I know I might end up being dissapointed or I might end up just being like "wow that's totaly different then I thought" in my mind I can see them keeping and reworking a few scenes totaly scrapping others and then supplimenting the AA's with fantasmic like effects (aka you see a projected fish but then at some point it syncs with the animatronic and the switch is made)

I'm hoping they do a wise overlay, overall I'd say that Nemo isn't hte most exciting character but then I look at what good writing and ideas did for Pooh over at TDL. I'm hoping it's an origional attraction and not just a ride through the movie though I won't mind revisiting some of the sequences

overall it's just a wait and see for me, and like I've said in my mind the theming doesn't bug me as much since the ride is still basicaly about exploring the ocean

my only fear is that the ride will be all about the character, and what I mean by that is that generaly in Disneyland rides focas on YOU (I believe Walt said ultimatly guests are the stars) the thing that annoys me with character attractions is that in the poor ones they seem to forget that and focas on the character as the star instead and that destroys the rides timelessness (Pooh in TDL has alot of things happening to the guest, Pooh in DL/WDW have you driving past scenes of things happening to Pooh) a good example would be stitch escape were the ride totaly focases on him and we're treated as supporting actors that he gets to abuse via burping in our faces and whatever else he pleases (as opposed to Roger Rabbit and Indy were WE get to have the adventure and the main characters only appear when/if the action gets too much for us to handle or to provide an easy escape/ending)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast