Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Grumpy old man

Spanish Warning Spiels

How old are these? Were they part of the safety overhaul that DL seemingly went through (the signs on every car of every ride, etc)? Or just an embrace of the bilingual nature of California?

Back in 95 (I think), when I was last at DL the only rides with more than one language warning spiels was the Matterhorn and it's a small world, as far as I remember.

I was especially struck by the one in the HM which was really creepy because going from Paul Frees deep spooky voice to a whispering Spanish voice is quit the shock.

• no flash photography...

Re: Spanish Warning Spiels

yeah....My daughters BF speaks fluent spanish and he even said the spanish speils sound dumb and are poorly done.....

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad
    How old are these? Were they part of the safety overhaul that DL seemingly went through (the signs on every car of every ride, etc)? Or just an embrace of the bilingual nature of California?
    It happened in late 2002. First ride to undergo the change was Splash, then Mansion, and it slowly crept into every attraction. This is post-safety overhaul. I assume that due to the large number of spanish speaking residents in California.
    -Monorail Man

Some of them are done well enough to fit into their rides, such as Splash and Pirates, but others, such as Mansion, don't fit in at all.

• Circle of Ancients

The worst one is on Grizzly River Run. It's in Spanish but it sounds like a white "Surfer Dude".

Hola Dudes!!!

• Shubisha

alice and wendy seem out of place to me simply because i'm almost certain alice nor wendy speak spanish :P

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Spanish Warning Spiels

There is also marketing in northern Mexico.

Cheers.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Minion

mexican tourist dollars are making a big impression on Disney thats why!

I've said it before, they travel with their whole extended family and spend big bucks in the park. Disney has recognized this and responded in kind.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

How about the Tower of Terror one, they do an all English spiel to warn guests not to stand close to the doors, but then they switch to English and Spanish before boarding. I think they do it, not just of the people who don't speak a word of English, but for the people that pretend not to know English, that when Cast Members tell them not to do something, they act like they don't understand.

While European tourist destinations may have translating earpieces, Europe consists of several different languages in close contact, so it makes sense for them to offer the complete experience in many languages.
    As far as Disney is concerned, for its parks the experience changes based on what the native language the host country is, so they don't offer full show translation.
    However, safety spiels are seen as especially important by Legal up in Burbank, as a safety spiel in multiple languages covers liability bases. That's why you see them in multiple languages rather than full shows.

On a related question, what is the third language in the Fantasmic! announcements? And Remember?

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic
    On a related question, what is the third language in the Fantasmic! announcements? And Remember?
    japanese

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick
    There is also marketing in northern Mexico.

Cheers.
    True, and the marketing is heavy. Even people in Baja California (Ensenada, Rosarito, Tijuana, Otay, etc.) get the "Southern California" Annual Passholder and other discounts.

As I mentioned in regards to the academic study I referenced earlier, it's hispanic families that have saved Disney, and who are their best customers.

• Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    The worst one is on Grizzly River Run. It's in Spanish but it sounds like a white "Surfer Dude".

Hola Dudes!!!
    I always laugh when I hear "un poco de rafting."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    True, and the marketing is heavy. Even people in Baja California (Ensenada, Rosarito, Tijuana, Otay, etc.) get the "Southern California" Annual Passholder and other discounts.

As I mentioned in regards to the academic study I referenced earlier, it's hispanic families that have saved Disney, and who are their best customers.
    I'd like to see that study. If any minority would be responsible for "saving Disney" I'd think it was the Japanese. I see more of them at Disneyland than almost any other non American group.

I wonder what would happen if they sued Disney for being hurt and not having safety spiels in Japanese...

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    Even people in Baja California (Ensenada, Rosarito, Tijuana, Otay, etc.) get the "Southern California" Annual Passholder and other discounts.
    Gee, no wonder they are all illegally crossing the border. Wow, they don't give it to all Californians, but they will to another country. Thanks Disney for promoting illegal aliens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast