Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Splash Mountain..?

Erm, I was just taking a look at a thread on the injuries/deaths that have occured on Disneyland rides, and I noticed one that read

August 2000
    August 8, 2000--An operator dispatches a log on Splash Mountain before Yvonne Traina, 67, was strapped in, causing her to be thrown "rapidly backward" in her seat. When she screamed and he stopped the ride, she was thrown forward. After the ride, Traina said she complained of back pain, and a theme park nurse gave her an ice pack and an Advil. Her doctor later diagnosed her with a bulging disk, and she says she was left with consistent pain in her lower back and legs.

On my recent trip to Disneyland, I noticed that there weren't any sort of seatbelts.. have they been removed, were there any in the first place, or did I just not do my restraint up? o_o

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Re: Splash Mountain..?

No there were NEVER any seatbelts in DL's Splash Mountain. They do have them in WDW's version though
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Sock Puppet

Thanks. =) I've been wondering for a few weeks.
    That's kind of silly, to have them in one park, but not another?

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Well here's the thing. Disneylands SM was built in a less litigious time and with a more traditional log ride seating configuration. By the time Walt Disney World was to receive their own Splash Mountain they had time to work out the kinks of the design and story telling in the ride and make it a more grand version of the already popular ride. The new log seating configuration with side-by-side seating. along with a more "lawsuit weary" Disney, allowed for seastbelts to be included in the logs.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Splash Mountain..?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb
    They do have them in WDW's version though
    I don't think that's correct. Maybe I'm forgetting, but I think I'd remember having to wear a wet seatbelt. It certainly can't be too effective since someone got killed a few years back after leaving their log and getting crushed. In fact, the only water ride that goes down a flume that I can think of in my experience that even has seatbelts is Perilous Plunge at KBF. I can't recall any logride anywhere having seatbelts, including SM at WDW.

Cheers.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Yeah, and I believe a lady was killed on Perilous Plunge several years ago, but the accident didn't happen the same as the above posting. It was more like she didn't fit in the seat restraint properly and fell out coming down the hill.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

No there were NEVER any seatbelts in DL's Splash Mountain. They do have them in WDW's version though
    No they don't. I ride Splash every time I go to WDW and I can tell you they do not have seatbelts.

• Defying gravity

Ummm, I was just in WDW last month and I went on Splash Mountain - there were no seatbelts.....

• I <3 Clarinet.

^^ The Perilous Plunge death was pointed to a combination of the rider's size and a lack of a careful check on the different restraints used on the boats. I believe Knott's is now using OTSR in the new Perilous Plunge boats to replace the 5 point harnesses they were using after OSHA's recommendations after the initial incident.

Disney is the only people I know that do log flumes with restraints. The traditional inline seating used at Disneyland never really necessitated restraints because of the narrowness of the vehicles. The double wide logs at WDW made those lap bars necessary. At least we don't have the rumored OTSRs for Splash!

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

so in WDW, theres a lap bar...but no seatbelts? Its been a long time since i was in WDW so i dont really remember

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Dreaming of Disneyland...

when i went to wdw i dont recall a lap bar or seatbelts.
    SUPPORT THE CM's!

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

On a side-note, I found that to be one of the major drawbacks to the ride. One reason that my girlfriend couldn't enjoy the ride - apart from the anticipation of the big drop - was the lack of anything decent strapping you in. It wouldn't take much really...

I found this a problem on the Sun Wheel too, but that's a whole other thread to get into. Tears will be shed.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Minion

I went to WDW last October and I don't remember there being lap bars or seatbelts on WDW's Splash Mountain.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2DL
    I went to WDW last October and I don't remember there being lap bars or seatbelts on WDW's Splash Mountain.
    Same here. There are lap bars in Tokyo Disneyland's Splash Mountain though.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    On a side-note, I found that to be one of the major drawbacks to the ride. One reason that my girlfriend couldn't enjoy the ride - apart from the anticipation of the big drop - was the lack of anything decent strapping you in. It wouldn't take much really...
    Actually, there's no danger at all without restraints during the drop. During the drop gravity is pulling you *down*, not forward. Even at 45 degrees, there's still plenty of g forces pulling you down into your seat.

But the main thing is that as long as your seat remains below you, there's absolutely no danger of falling out because gravity will be pulling you into it. The sense of weightlessness is simply a *reduction* in g forces, not complete 0 g. For some reason we are much more sensitive to losing g forces than gaining them. Also keep in mind that your center of gravity is inside the boat while you're sitting. There is no physical way that the ride could force you to leave the boat while sitting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast