Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Best Buds

Indoor Veggie-Friendly Restaurant Suggestions

Okay, with under 40 day to go, I'm getting down to the finer details of this trip's touring plan. The plan is more complicated than usual, since we will be traveling with my sister-in-law, who has never been to a Disney park.

What I am trying to figure out at the moment are possible restaurants. Normally I "grab and go" for most meals (too much to do to sit around just eating!), but I think this trip may require a quite time for everyone to sit and take a break. I'm looking for restaurants within the resort (DLR, DCA and DTD) that meet the following criteria:

Indoors (air conditioned)
    Reasonable vegetarian options (fish is an option)
    And it would be nice if the restaurant gave a discount for a Deluxe Annual Pass and accepted reservations

We will be having one meal at the Blue Bayou (always at the top of my list), but I still need about 4 or 5 more options for other meals.

Suggestions, anyone? And thanks.
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• Neep meep beep

Re: Indoor Veggie-Friendly Restaurant Suggestions

Well, the "air conditioning" leaves out a lot of places in the park. However, considering most Disney Resort restaurants have vegetarian options, and especially since you've included fish as an option, you have many options available.

In Downtown Disney, the following restaurants accept reservations, have vegetarian options, and air conditioning, as well as a deluxe annual pass discount:

1. Espn zone. They have many great salads, and pasta and fish options.
    2. Catal.
    3. Tortilla Jos.
    4. Napoli.
    5. Vineyard room in DCA.
    6. Yamabuki in the Paradise Pier Hotel.
    7. Napa Rose.
    8. Granville's Steak House (yes, it's a steak house, but they also have a great salmon dish, and a few pasta dish options, as well as several vegetarian sides and salads that make a great meal);
    9. Storyteller's Cafe; and
    10. Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen.

You may get suggestions for House of Blues, and Rainforest Cafe, but in my experience, the vegetarian selections are limited. Same goes for Ralph Brennan's, unless you include fish - they do have some seafood selections each night.

Have a wonderful time!

• xmanmom

Wow, my next trip to DL and yours have a TON in common. Check this out...I will be there the same day as you August 17th and I am going with my FUTURE sister-in-law who has never been to DL before AND she is a vegitarian! Odd, huh?

We are going to Cafe Orleans so she can try the vegitarian Monte Cristo (three cheese). You might also want to check out the menu at Hook's Pointe at the DL Hotel. The food was great when we went last fall and it is very peaceful. I am just not sure of the veggie options. I do, however, know that they have some great fish options.

I am not sure if either of these restaurants offer AP discounts, but I would imagine they would.

• Mortality's Muse

Rancho Del Zocalo and The Plaza Inn are veggie friendly and Red Rockets Pizza Port has pasta and salads =)

• Neep meep beep

Yes, but the original post specified that the restaurants selected must have the ability to make reservations, and be indoors. Most of the seating at Cafe Orleans, Plaza Inn, and Rancho del Zocalo is outdoors, or is open air.

Neither Rancho del Zocalo, or Red Rockets Pizza Port, accept reservations.

• Food & Whine Aficianado

You could create a fantastic all-vegetarian meal at Napa Rose with appetizers, salads and sides. And since seafood is also an option for you, you'll have even more to choose from. Napa Rose blows away any other place in the resort (and almost every other high-end restaurant in Orange County, for that matter). Sometimes I don't even eat an entree...I had a 4-course meal there recently comprised of three appetizers and dessert and it was outstanding. Another time I did 2 apps and a cheese course and it was just right. If you're into cooking (or watching the Food Network), try to reserve a space at the chef's counter--it's fun watching the action and you can interact with the chefs a bit.

Yamabuki (Paradise Pier Hotel) would also be a good choice, too, unless you don't like Japanese food. They have a really lengthy selection of small and very authentic dishes in addition to the "usual suspects" (tempura, sushi, etc.).

Granville's is a lovely restaurant, but it's just typical steakhouse fare--the same kinds of starters, salads and simple seafood that you'd find a a chain like Morton's or Ruth's Chris. If you like very simple food that's well-prepared, Granville's is a good choice. But desserts were a big letdown after Napa Rose's, FWIW. If youre more of a "foodie" you'd be better off with 2 meals at Napa Rose instead of 1 here and 1 there. But Granville's is still very good.

I'm a stickler for good service and comfortable surroundings and the three places above have never let me down. I can't say that for almost any of the other places I've tried in DLR. The places in DTD just seem to be high-volume, turn-the-tables kind of places (with Catal probably being the best of the bunch).

If you like cheese, don't miss out on the cheese plate at Napa Rose, even if you don't go for a full meal (you can have it at the bar). Eight cheeses (from mild to potent) and great accompaniments...yum!
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Best Buds

Thank you all for the great responses! I realize that not every restaurant will fit all the criteria. I can only hope to have as many options as possible. If anyone has any additional suggestions, I welcome those as well! Again, thank you!
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• the F.O.D. solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Fm
    Rancho Del Zocalo and The Plaza Inn are veggie friendly and Red Rockets Pizza Port has pasta and salads =)
    Be careful at the Rancho... their beans seem to randomly contain lard. If this is an issue, ask a cm, preferably a Lead.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

i enjoy the pasta at the plaza inn

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Firstly, I just wanted to chip in and say that it is great to see that other people are as interested in veggie options at Disneyland as I am. I must admit, I didn't have much trouble finding anything to eat, although some restaurants seem to be non-condusive to herbivores and their lifestyles. Blue Bayou and the Jazz Kitchen didn't have much on their menu, but I've since been reliably informed that they make veggie stuff if you request it.

It is obvious that I am not as cluey as some of the people here about the parks, but I can speak from personal experience.

I can't say enough nice things about Tortilla Jo's (in Downtown). Lots of veggie delights - as is the case with most Mexican restaurants, as you can substitute beans for most beef dishes - lovely atmosphere (with a mariachi band going from table to table); a phenomenal selection of tequilas (I recommend Tarantula) and terrific service. My girlfriend loved the compliment of being told she didn't look anywhere near as old as her age on her passport, when we had to show them at the bar.

Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria (in Downtown) was another favourite. We ate there at least twice. At least a couple of vegetarian pizza options, not to mention pasta, their desserts are also lovely.

The Rainforest Cafe (in Downtown) also makes a pretty nice veggie meals from memory, and there are plenty of vegetarian appetizers. However, as was suggested above, they don't have HUGE amounts of veggie meals. If fish is an option, you may be OK though. Try the Chocolate Diablo Cake while you are there!

In the park, there is always the Royal Street Veranda (in NOS). Now, this isn't an indoor table-service restaurant, but their vegetarian gumbo in a bread-bowl was most satisfying at the right time of day.

As I said, I am but a humble vegetarian who found some nice places to eat while spending a week-and-a-half in sunny California. The fact that I put on a little weight after the holiday was an indication that I ate pretty well. I'm having the opposite problem now - I've lost over 27kg pounds (nearly 60 pounds) this year as part of a diet. Now I'm a lean 71kg (156 pounds) and keen to get back to Main Street and have a big bowl of ice cream!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Neep meep beep

Great tips - and I should also note that the Royal Street Veranda doesn't take reservations also.

You might be interested in the following site: (Click here). It lists menu items, with prices, and although the Napa Rose information is out of date, (because they have menus that change almost daily), it should give you a good idea of what options are available at the Disneyland Resort.

Good eating!

• The Duck Rules

Go here for the menus

http://www.dlresortinfo.com
    judimouse

Mousefest 2008 here we come

http://www.tinkstravel.com

http://www.dlresortinfo.com

• DLR OPE

I'm vegetarian and won't eat fish, either. Some of my experiences:
    - My absolute favorite is Naples/Napolini in DTD. They share the same kitchen and much of the same menu, but Naples is sit-down and Napolini is take-out. The mozzarella and tomato sandwich is especially good.
    - The three-cheese Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans is very tasty, if a bit greasy.
    - The veggie burrito at Rancho del Zocalo is good. (I hadn't heard about the lard; I may have to be more careful in future.)
    - Tortilla Jo's has a great chile relleno platter in the table service area, and some veggie burritos at the take-out window, but you need to make sure you ask for the vegetarian beans.
    - Brennan's has nothing veggie on the menu. If you ask the waiter, they'll "whip something up" for you, but I wasn't impressed with the result. I wouldn't go back, especially at the prices they charge.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    You might be interested in the following site: (Click here).
    Bless your cotton socks, Frogberto! Been looking for something like that! Cheers.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    Bless your cotton socks, Frogberto! Been looking for something like that! Cheers.
    Wow! How did you know about my socks!?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast