Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Sock Puppet

Re: Ever go backstage...

Quote Originally Posted by chadb14
    I don't know if this really counts as backstage, but one when I was leaving the park after fireworks they opened a gate and allowed the crowd to walk behind Main Street on the Adventure Land side. It was kind of cool. You could see all of the Jungle Cruise boats parked off to the side, but mostly it was just dumpsters and break areas and what not. We walked all the way down and came out near the Fire Station (I think).
    You are correct, you pop out right by the station. Occasionaly, when things get really crowded, they let people walk down the sides of the street to make things keep moving while MS is filled with onlookers of fireworks.

I got to go backstage 2 weeks ago, the dumpsters behind Indy really smell bad, I guess all the rotten food goes there. I got to see the fuel being pumped into Ind, to fuel the fire inside of the ride. I got to see boxes and boxes of Club 33 dishes stacked in the hallway. I also got to watch the Disney Cast TV channel for awhile, oh boy. The club 33 dishes did look nice and expensive though.

• DisneylandDan

A friend of mine worked at DisneyWorld for a summer under their college intern program. She said it ruined the magic of that park. Esspecially seeing the characters backstage or in the utilidoors. Still loves Disneyland though.

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

• Boat shoes all day long

One time I accidently went backstage while looking for a restroom, you know, the area between fantasyland and frontierland? Well once I got back there the only thing I saw was a man in dirty jeans and a black mesh tank-top eating a fish sandwhich. I was confused and wanted to ask questions, but his body odor was just too much. So I passed him without so much as a peep, still thinking I would find a restroom somewhere back there.
    That's when they showed up. Those Apes from the jungle book portion of Fantasmic! But they weren't as happy-go-lucky as they appear in the show; in fact, they seemed to have some type of hidden agenda.
    The ring leader, calling him self King Eisner (Eisner, of course in place of Louie) led the Apes down a man hole in the ground chanting "We're off to see Bob Iger, the Wonderful King of D-Land...we hear he is, he is, he is, he is..." And that's all I couple make out, as they disappeared down the hole.
    This was weird, but the strangest is yet to come. I mean come on, that song was a rip-off from the Wizard of Oz, an MCA/Universal production, at least sing a disney song!

Anyhow...I now realized I was backstage and must have passed the men's room a while back, but figured I must be close to another park entrance. That is when I heard some strange raspy voices coming from a box. I peered in, only to find that those Vultures that sit atop the final hill on Splash Mountain are purchased in bulk from Wal*Mart stores inc. And boy, do they have an attitude! Hence the reason I have to type so slow due to a missing finger now in the belly of an AA bird. I proceeded to ring the little guys neck until he pointed to the door.

whew! Back in the guest area of the Park. Backstage is not a place you want to be hanging around.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• decorating

Went to Disneyland on a band trip in high school... the band director's 4 year old daughter was with us.

Goofy was showing off his tattoo
    That was quite entertaining.
    I think my favorite part though, while practicing for the tomorrowland gig, was watchig the lady that would be performing as Mickey do her routine sans costume.
    SOOO much energy into it. It was entertaining, you'd never thing of how exagerated the movements need to be to be Mickey.

I'm in agreement that backstage in rides is a lot cooler than backstage in general. A very well-kept string of warehouses just pales compared to familiar AA's up close with work lights on when it comes to exciting my inner geek. Still, it's pretty neat to see the incredible effort and manpower behind running a theme park, and how surprisingly large the horse stables area is.

DCA backstage is about as interesting as a blank wall, since unlike DL's smattering of historical changes and shoehorned show buildings (and pyro setup), it's all planned, efficient, and new.

• Circle of Ancients

Never on accident but I have seen backstage.

I performed at DL 3 times when I was in HS. The best time was when they were building ToonTown, we got a tour of it before it was open. Pretty cool.

I used to go backstage all the time (never was a CM). My late parter worked in East-Side Attractions and I would go to the park on my days off and spend his break and lunch with him backstage, eating at the In-Between and just chilling. Since I looked like a CM no one ever said anything. The fact I was with a long-time CM didn't hurt.

He also took me inside the Matterhorn to see the basketball court, and inside small world and other rides. He could have been fired for it, but no one ever stopped us.

I concur with the people who said backstage on the rides is a LOT more interesting than backstage in general. It's a bunch of offices and warehouses and the like.

Still, it was cool to go there

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    Me too! Why risk getting thrown out of the park?

I've gone backstage at WDW though when I was on a tour. Trust me, backstage is nothing special. Roy Disney once said "Keep the money in the show." That means that you shouldn't waste money on areas that guests can't see - and Disney doesn't.

Now, going backstage at an attraction - that's cool. I got to see the AAs up close at the American Adventure in Epcot's World Showcase. But, going backstage and seeing dumpsters, backsides of buildings, cast parking lots...or even the much-talked-about Utilidors - nothing special!

Take my advice: If you want to go backstage, do it the legal way - TAKE A TOUR!!!!!! The Walt in Walt's Footsteps is a great tour to take at DL. We got to go into the lobby of Club 33...and step into the glass elevator. We didn't get to go upstairs though *mutters* Also, we went backstage at the Disney Gallery. It was originally going to be an aparment for Walt. Now, it's just office space, but you can see how it was originally designed for bedrooms, etc.

Have fun at Disneyland - ONSTAGE!!!

off topic:

I just love that I'm now someone's quote

On topic... we got to go up the stairs and to the outside when the HM broke down...that's as close to 'backstage' as I got.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12