Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• "Always On The Move..."

What Some CM's Are Telling People About Capt Jack

This happened at El Capitan earlier today, but since it has to do with the Walk-About-Captain Jack I thought I would post it here.

This woman is at the theater, VERY excited and showing people pics on her digital camera and telling everyone that "Johnny Depp" was at Disneyland yesterday and I've got a picture of him. Well, I was at the park yesterday and saw someone who remotely could have been him, and thought ,"ok..might have been." and expected to see this picture of the same person. Well the picture was of the walk about Capt. Jack (who I finally saw..and except for the eyemake up was doing a remarkable performance..very very impressed)..but, it was NOT Johnny. Someone else who was also there told her, "Um, Ma'am, that's an character actor ..but that's NOT Depp." She got very upset and told everyone around that the Cast Member's TOLD her it was Johnny Depp and that she and everyone else were only allowed ONE picture apiece, as he just got in the outfit for fun and this was a one time deal.

Then someone else (another woman) who overheard also pulled out her camera and said, "THESE aren't Johnny?" showing more pictures of the walk-about Captain. She then told the same story, only it happened a few days earlier. (And she was in tears). Someone else came forward and said that they heard that the cast members were telling people that Johnny is coming into the park often, and when he does he dresses up in the outfit and plays Captain Jack for the crowd. That they had been looking for him but hadn't found him. (ANOTHER women was almost in tears because this had also happened to her. The first woman started to become so angry and upset that everyone around went.. "yup, that's Johnny," just to calm her down).

Now, from what I could gather (this was looking like it was going to start going on an emotional path and I just wanted to see the rest of the exhibit)...the statements that this was Johnny Depp was NOT COMING FROM EITHER THE ACTOR OR THE HANDLER..BUT OTHER CM'S AROUND THE AREA. I don't know who or which ones. But there were some pretty upset people. And since they weren't together and had been told the same thing.. well, to me it seems like a pretty mean joke to play. Anyone hear anything else about this?

I was at the park for about 3 days and did see the Captain (AND got MULTIPLE pics.. like I said.. he was very very good) and never heard anything like this...

Just curious...
    Last edited by AlohaStitch; 07-09-2006 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: What Some CM's Are Telling People About Capt Jack

Hmm...I mean, it sounds like something Johnny would do, but...goodness.

That's quite nasty, getting someone's hopes up like that.

Can you upload some of the pictures for good measure?

Oh good grief...someone (CMs and/or guests) really think Johnny Depp has nothing else to do but dress up as Captain Jack Sparrow and drop in on Disneyland whenever he feels like it to play his part? They really think this? I hope the CMs are just grossly misinformed and not intentionally misleading guests.

I don't understand the tears, I really don't. Then again, I don't give a flip about meeting stars...even the scrumptious Mr. Depp. I've seen celebs in WDW, and every time they seem to enjoying themselves as private citizens...unless of course they were part of some media event.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

The walk-about Jack is quite good. I also don't understand the tears about it not "really" being Johnny. I don't understand the pull of stars. You'd think he had a life to live. Doesn't he live in France, anyway?
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• LoisAlene

Good grief, if it were Really Johnny Depp he'd be so protected you couldn't get within 50 yards of him! I wonder if the CM's are making bets on how gullible people are?

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Minion

I'd love to se the pics too

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

I know Darkbeer had some pics of him. (It was the same actor). I'll have to get them off of my sister's camera. I'm learning how to do that.. so if anyone has any pics before I can decipher this thing..feel free to post them) He's good, but not a dead-on look-alike (the actor at the El Capitan is MUCH closer to looking like Depp's portrayal). When I mean a remarkable performance.. it is that.. very very good vocals and mannerisms and played the crowd very well.

I've been in the film industry..and people do get really strange around actors..tears are common as well as fainting. But, my concern was if someone was telling people this for a laugh.. it wasn't a very nice one! And that I personally, hadn't heard anything like that from any of the CM's that were around. In fact they were really into "It's Captain Jack" and just having fun with the character.

Like I said..curious...
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch
    And that I personally, hadn't heard anything like that from any of the CM's that were around. In fact they were really into "It's Captain Jack" and just having fun with the character.

Like I said..curious...
    There's got to be more to this story. I think the key thing here is CM's making statements like "It's Captain Jack!", which I have also heard in the last week. The area NOS CM's really are trying to get in to the spirit of the pirate stuff that has overtaken their land in the last two weeks.

Perhaps these mega-fans were so desperate to feel as though they had seen Johnny Depp that the innocent statements of CM's talking about "Captain Jack" as if the real captain was there in New Orleans has played mind games on these women. I mean, if they are able to break down in tears over this guy, then there is some real emotion behind their "sighting" of a character at an amusement park. There are two sides to this story, and we've only heard the side from adult women who cry about seeing an actor at an amusement park.

Personally, I don't get in to the personality cult that surrounds celebs these days. And when I think of Johnny Depp, my first thought runs to old 21 Jump Street episodes and Depp's really bad 80's hair he had 20 years ago.

I found this pic of the same face character that I saw... (at least the waist wrap was finally accurate when I saw him)..

One of the best things I saw, is when he first walked by he had about 7 little girls just trailing one after another behind him LOL

dlfreak, I'm giving you credit for the pic found..it was in your post!

I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

^ Yeah, no way is that Johnny Depp...I guess people get so star-struck that they'll believe anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000
    There's got to be more to this story.
    That's EXACTLY what I thought and why I asked...
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I don't know how anyone could mistake the "look-alikes" for Johnny Depp. The costume is the same, but jeez, they don't REALLY look like him. I don't think it's right for CM's to tell people it is him, though, if that is indeed what's really happening.
    <o>

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch
    This happened at El Capitan earlier today, but since it has to do with the Walk-About-Captain Jack I thought I would post it here.

This woman is at the theater, VERY excited and showing people pics on her digital camera and telling everyone that "Johnny Depp" was at Disneyland yesterday and I've got a picture of him. Well, I was at the park yesterday and saw someone who remotely could have been him, and thought ,"ok..might have been." and expected to see this picture of the same person. Well the picture was of the walk about Capt. Jack (who I finally saw..and except for the eyemake up was doing a remarkable performance..very very impressed)..but, it was NOT Johnny. Someone else who was also there told her, "Um, Ma'am, that's an character actor ..but that's NOT Depp." She got very upset and told everyone around that the Cast Member's TOLD her it was Johnny Depp and that she and everyone else were only allowed ONE picture apiece, as he just got in the outfit for fun and this was a one time deal.
    This has to be one of the most pathetic things I've yet read about here.

For those interested, here's some real photos of Johnny Depp and cast arriving not in NOS "for fun" but in Japan today to continue the worldwide promotion for POTC: DMC
    http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryList...=198812&nbc1=1
    Last edited by ALIASd; 07-09-2006 at 10:18 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• insufferable know-it-all

People are so stupid.

The CMs, naturally, were trying to maintain the magic, but for this woman to get SO worked up... just silly.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Next you are going to tell me that Mickey Mouse isn't really Mickey Mouse either.....

You know, I may be a jerk, but I find this thread very funny.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast