Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Where are the summer crowds?

My guess of what's contributing to the light crowds:

1. Gas prices and uncertainty of the price going forward.
    2. Underwelming re-vamp of Pirates. Let's face it there's nothing must see about the revamp of Pirates. It's a good revamp, but it's not good enough to draw in large crowds.
    3. Thus, there's no must see thing this year. Last year, there was Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Astro Blasters, etc.

• Just this guy......

> Where are the summer crowds?

My joke answer is.... Watching the world cup?

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    I do not have an explanation for why the crowds were light around July 4th, but to the "regulars" I am confused as to why YOU'RE confused about light crowds last weekend.

The weekend after July 4th is ALWAYS lighter on crowds. ...
    I don't have the large amount of data, or knowledge, that you have. I speculated that July was busy, based upon the blackout dates, and based upon published reports, the July 4th holiday brings a lot of people to Disneyland, and invites people to make a three, four, or five day week out of it, by stretching time off through the weekend (because Tuesday is a holiday, you get five days for the "price" of three, if you will).

Sorry if our ignorance "bugs" you.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

We were there last week Wed - Fri. The crowds were very light but seemed to be a lot busier Friday when we left. I do not think we will be coming back until mid September mainly because of the heat and humidity. We zonies do not do well in humidity.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

But reports had the 4th (I was there in the morning and evening), plus the 5th thru the 8th also being very light for peak summer crowds, more similar to an off-season day, and nothing like the 6 weeks of Easter Break.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    Sorry if our ignorance "bugs" you.
    LOL I meant it in a "maybe y'all are forgetting that crowds are always lighter the weekend after July 4th" way. I never said I was "bugged" by anyone's "ignorance" (??).

Strange that July 4th itself wasn't packed. That's usually up there crowd-wise with New Year's Eve.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

I think the weather is a major factor in the low crowds.

Non of my family members thathave passes have gone to the park recently because of the heat. On 4th of July the park was not as busy as usual. Not until the late evening did the crowds start appearing.

Californians are way to spoiled when it comes to the weather. Look at how busy the beaches have been recently. We do anything to stay away from weather that is way too hot and humid. Its been more humid than usual.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    LOL I meant it in a "maybe y'all are forgetting that crowds are always lighter the weekend after July 4th" way. I never said I was "bugged" by anyone's "ignorance" (??).

Strange that July 4th itself wasn't packed. That's usually up there crowd-wise with New Year's Eve.

Lighter meaning "only" 40,000 in DL rather than 70,000? Darkbeer and company are making it sound like we're under 20,000. Isn't that unusual for ANY time of the Summer?

I vote for:

1) 50th hype that has run it's course.

2) So Cal AP's who don't mind being blocked out during July because of the heat and what USED to be CROWDS.

Darkbeer...you're the man with the figures. What's the average attendance supposed to be during July? Frogberto just posted a chart in another thread that showed attendance is expected to be somewhere around 50,000 for July. Is this correct?

• With my wife....

Lack of crowds obviously means the park is an utter failure. Let's bulldoze it and start over.

Oh wait, this isn't the DCA thread. My bad.
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Let's take the Amusement Business/ERA estimated attendance of 14.5 million in 2005. Take that number and divide by 365 gives you an average of about 40,000 a day (39,726). That is an average day, but you need to take into consideration all the slow off-season weekdays that are closer to 20,000, and you need about 60,000 a day during summer peak (maybe even a bit more) to get to the average 40,000 a day.

But it seems like this last week the crowds were between 30 and 40 thousand a day. A dramatic drop-off as compared to the 2005 numbers, which were larger than 2004 (8.5% increase per AB/ERA).
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

I can remember the crowds being heavy in July. I went to the park last Sat. and it was not anything like it was in June or May. My girl who works for Disney Travel said there were rooms aval at all 3 hotels at DLR. In May or June they were usually booked up. Maybe it is the weather or the blocked out dates.
    Jason

• Space Mountain Fanboy

Yeah, I was there Saturday (7/8) and when the park first opened I was able to go on Space Mountain 3 times in 20 minutes. And after the last ride-through, the wait was still only 10 minutes. I would've kept going on it over and over again except the friend I was with wanted to go on Pirates before the lines got too long.

of course, the line for Pirates never got very long after all.

EDIT: And I love that picture of the wait times. Everything is 30 minutes waits except for Splash and Indy.

• insufferable know-it-all

It was more crowded on a weekday in June than it was this last Sunday (or perhaps the presence of POTC grandstand buildind made it feel more crowded).

July 4th should see 75,000 or more, often into the 80-85K numbers. If the park is doing any less than 60K on weekends, it's noteworthy.

I think gas prices are doing all kinds of things to people's finances - cutting into vacation plans as far as how far to drive/fly, and also cutting money available week-to-week, which cuts into how much people save FOR their vacations as well. The effect, therefore, is a multiplying one.

I mean, let's face it. Gas prices, gas prices, gas prices! It's affecting everything!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I mean, let's face it. Gas prices, gas prices, gas prices! It's affecting everything!
    Oddly enough, there are conflicting reports on whether or not gas prices are affecting people's travels:

Two examples:

http://http://archives.cnn.com/2000/...23/gas.travel/

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/14937508.htm

I wonder why similar reports are so divergent? Maybe the gas prices/travel plans are just affecting the student crowd?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

I think there are many factors for the reduction in crowds:
    • High Ticket Prices$$ (I know it's hard to believe but most people don't have the luxury of owning an annual pass. Family of 4 will spend at least $1,000 for a weekend at Disney.)
    • World Cup Soccer Championships (huge internationally)
    • POTC 2 (at least this past weekend :o)
    • High Gas Prices - with gas prices between $3 and $3.24 twenty-six percent of travelers say the would seriously consider cancelling their trip.
    • High Temperatures / Humidity
    • Kids attending Summer School and/or Summer Camps -families tend to travel in late July and August just before back to school -- I know this because I plan events.
    • Families are visiting state parks or monuments to feel more patriotic

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast