Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Neep meep beep

Re: Where are the summer crowds?

Wow -- now that's quite a picture. I'm a little more optimistic than you, Chris, but I suppose time will tell. I'm sure we would all enjoy lighter crowds, and Disney's been on a roll that had to slow down eventually, with the record breaking 2005 numbers.

• Minion

I believe it has to do with the economy, I believe we are heading into a recession, well at least the signs are there for another one.
    Jeff Wayne

• The Dark Ride

Put another notch in the 'too damn hot' column and the 'SoCal Pass blackout' column. If we had Deluxe or Premium, we'd be going, heat be damned...but we'd arrive later, leave earlier, and not come as often, so even -then- it'd impact our personal attendance, compared to cooler climes.
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint
    Since I'm no longer Califanicafornian anymore, what has the weather been like? Hard numbers, not "it's been hot!"

It's been in the high '80s, low '90s with 40 percent humidity according to the O.C. Register (which is oftentimes wrong, but that sounds about right).

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by Schmielsen
    It's been in the high '80s, low '90s with 40 percent humidity according to the O.C. Register (which is oftentimes wrong, but that sounds about right).
    What is average for this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by LlamaLover
    What is average for this time of year?
    You know, I'm not even sure--our weather really is so boring that I rarely pay any attention to what the temps are. I think July is usually pretty comfortable, like high 70s and low 80s. The heat typically kicks in in August, continuing into September and October. In October we get the dry Santa Ana winds that tend to raise the temperatures (but it's a dry heat). Our heat came a little early this year, but I heard on the news that it's supposed to start cooling back to normal next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmielsen
    I had to suppress a huge giggling fit before I responded... :-)

It's 90 degrees at sunrise here in Phoenix. Y'all are spoiled!

(full disclosure: ex-San Diegan here, miss the weather but not willing to live in squalor in a hyper-inflated housing market for barely passable wages, and spend most of the day sitting in mind-crushing traffic before and after work... and weekends... and weeknights... etc., etc., etc.)
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• Back After Missing MC

I had to suppress a huge giggling fit before I responded... :-)

It's 90 degrees at sunrise here in Phoenix. Y'all are spoiled!

(full disclosure: ex-San Diegan here, miss the weather but not willing to live in squalor in a hyper-inflated housing market for barely passable wages, and spend most of the day sitting in mind-crushing traffic before and after work... and weekends... and weeknights... etc., etc., etc.)
    That is too funny because I had to hold in my laughter too since it is already in the 80's here with over 70% humidity! You Californians are so spoiled with your mild climate

I agree with you Flint on the other positive aspects of non-California life. Low cost of living, a $100,000 house that is actually a house and not a rat trap, relaxed drive to work (it is a bad commute day if I get caught at a light and it takes 12 minutes instead of 10 to get home), no smog...On the other hand, no beach, loooooong unbearably cold winters, and worst of all NO DISNEYLAND!

</IMG>

I was there this last weekend up to yesterday. The crowds were light and great on Saturday and Sunday. However, Monday, Tuesday and especially Wedneday that park was throttled again with crowds. Splash Mountain was over a 100 minute wait at times in stand-by. To add to this, both Space Mountain and Spalash went down at least twice each on Wednesday! We still had tons of fun though!

• Professional Chocoholic

I think it IS the economy and gas prices... more and more people I know are having trouble just paying the bills (including me) and have NOTHING left over for anything frivilous like Disneyland.

Also, 3 of my family members work at a NACO/Thousand Trails membership RV park up the road near Yosemite. This past 4th of July week was absolutely DEAD, and a lot of (American) people were complaining about how much gas was costing them for their RVs and toys.

i woudl say gas and stuff, being from arizona, it is getting pretty expensive, my 6 year old and I found a community center where we can get to disneyland for one whole day on a charter bus, sleep there and sleep on the way back! it is going to be crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    I have noticed very light crowds (for Peak Summer season) when I have gone to the DLR since June 30th.

Here are a few shots from my last visit (Sunday, July 9th)

A couple of shots of DCA crowds from the Monorail around 2:30 PM

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/...80614259/Large

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/...80614642/Large

Then the Disneyland wait board

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/...80625990/Large

And then the Parade of Dreams along Main Street (these photos were at 3:25 PM, the Parade had already started at the small world end at 3:15 PM, and should be on Main Street in about 10 minutes)

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/...80674365/Large

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/...80676203/Large

Of course, there are a few more shots in the album...

But that is a very small crowd... I have seen off-season weekdays with more people along Main Street than yesterday.

So where are the guests?

It looks like a bunch of factors.

The weather lately has been hot and more humid than normal, but that really should only effect the locals, as visitors have already invested a lot of money in airfare (or gas and other car expenses) and hotels, plus many have pre-paid tickets as part of their packages.

Reports have hotel rooms being available at many locations, both on-property and off in the next few weeks.

Has the 50th Celebration been overplayed? Attendance was up last summer when Disney was strongly promoting the event. Also, some Disney fans decided to not visit in 2004 and early 2005 due to the combination of the large amount of refurbs and wanting to wait until the 50th started.

Has the 50th help shift the local attendance? Once again, strong promotion had many locals attend in 2005. Some families are just not that much into theme parks, and find an expense of $200 and up for a day (based on tickets, parking, food, drink and merchandise for a family) not worth doing more than once every few years. Plus many SoCal folks were persuaded to convert to a Disneyland AP (using the ticket sellers, plus special handouts that came with the tickets, and other AP advertising). Many of these folks decided to get the SoCal or SoCal Select AP, which are blocked out for all of July and much of August. So locals need to have a Deluxe or Premium AP to visit yesterday, or buy a Blockout Pass for $30, or pay for a new ticket (non AP holders). So did the heat help keep the locals away?

It was a busy day in Sports, heck the reason I was at the DLR was the World Cup, folks started to line up before 9 AM, and the place was full, and folks were turned away before the game even started. Plus you had the Wimbleton Men's Championship, plus NASCAR and the last day of baseball before the All-Star break, but many days have lots of sports, and I have seen Disneyland busier during NFL season, including the playoffs.

Is it the costs of travelling to the DLR? Gas prices are up, which also make airlines fares go up. Last year crowds have allowed hotels to raise their prices, and they are not wanting to go back to the lower rates, even if there have been quite a few new and rebuilt hotel room added in the last few months.

Of course, Disney has raised admission and other prices throughout the resort.

Have many folks just decided to not go (or come back) in general? Is promoting some minor changes to a decades old attraction a good thing as the major marketing push?

So why are the folks not going to Disneyland and DCA?
    I just got back from the park and the park was lighter... I went around 9pm right before the fireworks... when we walked in we were expecting a crowd on mainstreet... I didn't see the crowd until i was closer to the candy store and it still wasnt that crowded..... really freaky to go to the park in the summer and see it wasnt that crowded
    So, as they say at Big Thunder Mountain -- "Hold on to your hats and glasses cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!" i like west better

http://rze51.smugmug.com/

• no flash photography...

Since I'm no longer Califanicafornian anymore, what has the weather been like? Hard numbers, not "it's been hot!"
    about 103 to 110 where I live, but it's not the numbers....it's humdity that bothers me. I live in the desert where we have dry heat. Very low humdity. So, whule 110 is hot it doesn't bother me like 90 in 53% humdidty....so the hot factor is more than just the number.....

Quote Originally Posted by anime_goddess
    Also, 3 of my family members work at a NACO/Thousand Trails membership RV park up the road near Yosemite. This past 4th of July week was absolutely DEAD, and a lot of (American) people were complaining about how much gas was costing them for their RVs and toys.
    Well, part of the problem there is the wasteful nature of those vehicles... One gets no sympathy from me when one complains that it's too expensive to use your RV that gets 7-10 miles to a gallon of gas (and is slow and blocks traffic and is generally driven by imbeciles). As far as the "toys", I have no sympathy at all considering how much those things pollute our lakes and rivers (literally, they dump all their fuel waste straight into the water).
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345