Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Monorails: New or Used?

Uzmati, the rumor about why Monorail Orange got scrapped is kind of funny. The rumor goes that a veteran monorail pilot was retiring/being fired, and he wanted to go out with a bang. Suppsoedly on his last trip, he told all of his pasengers this and told them to hold on for "[CM's name, I don't know what it was]'s Wild Ride!" And he took off at full speed, and never slowed down, even during all the curvy bits over Tomorrowland, except for a screeching halt at the station. Rumor goes that this joyride mortally wounded Monorail Orange, and it was taken out of service. Later, it was decided it would be cheaper to scrap it opposed to fixing it.

That's the rumor as to why Monorail Orange had to be taken out of service. How much of that is true or not is up to debate. I haven't seen any evidence to prove or disprove this.

• Monorail Racer

I would assume that the Mark Vs had a governor on the throttle like the Mark IVs and IVs I drove at WDW. The IVs had a max limited speed, but could be driven at the max governed speed over sections designated as slow speed areas if the driver wanted to blaze around the beam (like the Contemporary Hotel at WDW). The Mark VI trains had the speed limited to each section of the beam. Thus, you couldn't exceed 30 in a 30mph section of beamway for more than a few seconds without braking to slow down or more than 4-5 mph over without the monorail coming to a stop before you could start up again.

I don't know if the Mark Vs had this feature or were upgraded to the feature later on when they received the updates. In any case, even with the governor in place, it can be overridden in Maintenance Mode and every so often at WDW, a maintenance guy would forget to reset the governor and the drivers bumping each other out in the monorail would figure out that you could "put the pedal to the metal" in that train that day.

So it's plausible that a driver could have done it, but I doubt it would have mortally wounded Orange permanently. Seems like a legend loosely based on a partially true story.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Banned User

Monorail Orange was not chopped up, the front nose cones come off the body, if you look at the photo, you will see the frame is intact. The nose sections are not part of the frame. The following page has some details of how the monorails work. The undercarriage does not continue to the front nose cones. If W.D.I. kept the frame but rebuilt all the parts from scratch, it would be no problem to keep the monorails running.

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/TPDispr.html

To see the blue print of the monorail wheel system, this is the part of the undercarriage that needs to be rebuilt the most:
    http://www.delphion.com/cgi-bin/view...OUT_FORMAT=pdf
    Last edited by Austinnightwolf; 07-11-2006 at 09:10 PM.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoaster
    I would assume that the Mark Vs had a governor on the throttle like the Mark IVs and IVs I drove at WDW. The IVs had a max limited speed, but could be driven at the max governed speed over sections designated as slow speed areas if the driver wanted to blaze around the beam (like the Contemporary Hotel at WDW). The Mark VI trains had the speed limited to each section of the beam. Thus, you couldn't exceed 30 in a 30mph section of beamway for more than a few seconds without braking to slow down or more than 4-5 mph over without the monorail coming to a stop before you could start up again.

I don't know if the Mark Vs had this feature or were upgraded to the feature later on when they received the updates. In any case, even with the governor in place, it can be overridden in Maintenance Mode and every so often at WDW, a maintenance guy would forget to reset the governor and the drivers bumping each other out in the monorail would figure out that you could "put the pedal to the metal" in that train that day.

So it's plausible that a driver could have done it, but I doubt it would have mortally wounded Orange permanently. Seems like a legend loosely based on a partially true story.
    That's very interesting about the speed governor, I had no idea about that. What's neat is that these monorails run on standard rubber tires (I think) so in theory it should be possible to chirp the tires in maintenance mode. But I think there's so many tires and the train is so heavy, you'd probably just get a sudden burst of acceleration without any audible sound. Being a huge car fanatic, part of me wants to really see what a Mark V can really do, lol. I mean it's no Chevy, but it goes relatively fast and runs on tires so it is of partial interest to me how fast it can blast off. I think its weight would limit any kind of tire chirping or peeling out though...not to mention its electric motors probably wouldn't have the torque to pull something like that off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AEGuy42
    Uzmati, the rumor about why Monorail Orange got scrapped is kind of funny. The rumor goes that a veteran monorail pilot was retiring/being fired, and he wanted to go out with a bang. Suppsoedly on his last trip, he told all of his pasengers this and told them to hold on for "[CM's name, I don't know what it was]'s Wild Ride!" And he took off at full speed, and never slowed down, even during all the curvy bits over Tomorrowland, except for a screeching halt at the station. Rumor goes that this joyride mortally wounded Monorail Orange, and it was taken out of service. Later, it was decided it would be cheaper to scrap it opposed to fixing it.

That's the rumor as to why Monorail Orange had to be taken out of service. How much of that is true or not is up to debate. I haven't seen any evidence to prove or disprove this.
    It was Carlton's wild ride and no, in the early 90's, the monorails had no limits on speed.

Now they do, but way back then, the monorail pilot actually paid had to pay attention to how fast they were going in various parts of the park.

Inside the park (the twisty part) was supposed to be 15 miles per hour or less. Carlton managed to do 35 around the Matterhorn in Monorail Orange during his last day at the park.

He blew tires out and stressed the frame.

Monorail Blue was the one that actually fell off the beam. Remind me to tell you about that one sometime.

• Clear for Dispatch

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz
    It was Carlton's wild ride and no, in the early 90's, the monorails had no limits on speed.

Now they do, but way back then, the monorail pilot actually paid had to pay attention to how fast they were going in various parts of the park.

Inside the park (the twisty part) was supposed to be 15 miles per hour or less. Carlton managed to do 35 around the Matterhorn in Monorail Orange during his last day at the park.

He blew tires out and stressed the frame.

Monorail Blue was the one that actually fell off the beam. Remind me to tell you about that one sometime.
    Allow me!

Although I did not work there at the time, the Monorail shop guys showed me some pretty cool pictures of that little incident.

Like all mornings, the Monorails were being pulled out of the shop. Since the trains pull into the shop Forwards at the end of each normal operating day, the trains pull out of the shop Backwards. Now, the monorail beam has a track switch right by the parade gate at It's a Small World. This switch allows the train to pull into the shop as opposed to continuing on the main loop. Well on this particular morning, Monorail Blue was powered up and the the systems were checked. She was good to go. The only problem was that the track was never switched to connect to the main beam. In other words, THE BEAM ENDED AT A DROP! Needless to say, the driver did not realize what had happened until it was too late. The entire rear cabin fell off the beam. The cabin was at an angle with the nose cone touching the ground. Luckily, no one was injured but they did have to bring cranes in to take Blue off the beam.

Again I would not have believed it unless I saw the pictures! Priceless!

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz
    ...Monorail Blue was the one that actually fell off the beam. Remind me to tell you about that one sometime.
    Now is a GREAT time! I'd love to hear about that!

• Minion

From what I know, each cab has 2 tires. One forward, one back. 8 tires it total for the 4 cabs. Each tire has a 100HP motor. Thats 800HP on a 8WD vehicle. Thats a good ammount of power! I doubt you can burn rubber with that much rubber on the road, no matter how much HP.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Thanks AEGuy for the story.
    Last edited by Uzmati; 07-18-2006 at 07:23 PM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Monorail Racer

Interesting story with Monorail Blue. Nothing's impossible, but it's highly unlikely it would ever happen at WDW - not only are there two operating cabs, but even with backwards operation through some of the switches, Monorail Central won't clear you through any section it's not showing a lockdown of the beamway. Sounds like they didn't have as many precautions and procedures in place to prevent such a thing at DL. I'll bet they do now.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Banned User

I don't believe the story about monorail orange, it was used regularly until just a few years ago. From posts I found dating back to 2001, monorail Red was the real messed up one that people thought would never return back on the track. Monorail Orange was used so extensively that he motors literally fell apart, because it was the most reliable train in the late 90's and early 2000's. I still think monorail orange will be reincarnated in late 2007 as the new monorail orange. Check out this video from 1987, it shows the old and new monorails on the track: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...yland+monorail
    Last edited by Austinnightwolf; 07-12-2006 at 07:28 AM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoaster
    Interesting story with Monorail Blue. Nothing's impossible, but it's highly unlikely it would ever happen at WDW - not only are there two operating cabs, but even with backwards operation through some of the switches, Monorail Central won't clear you through any section it's not showing a lockdown of the beamway. Sounds like they didn't have as many precautions and procedures in place to prevent such a thing at DL. I'll bet they do now.
    I think all of the differences stem from the fundamental original function of each system. Disneyland's monorail is not, nor was it built to be, a full scale transportation system.

I don't believe the story about monorail orange, it was used regularly until just a few years ago. From posts I found dating back to 2001, monorail Red was the real messed up one that people thought would never return back on the track. Monorail Orange was used so extensively that he motors literally fell apart, because it was the most reliable train in the late 90's and early 2000's. I still think monorail orange will be reincarnated in late 2007 as the new monorail orange.
    It's these horror stories though that are why I really hope none of the current monorails are reincarnated, but all new

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP.
    I say buy used if you can get a good deal. That's the thing with the new monorails, they start depreciating in value as soon as you drive them off the lot.
    Yeah, but you just can't beat that "new Monorail smell."

Quote Originally Posted by monorail1
    Allow me!

Although I did not work there at the time, the Monorail shop guys showed me some pretty cool pictures of that little incident.

Like all mornings, the Monorails were being pulled out of the shop. Since the trains pull into the shop Forwards at the end of each normal operating day, the trains pull out of the shop Backwards. Now, the monorail beam has a track switch right by the parade gate at It's a Small World. This switch allows the train to pull into the shop as opposed to continuing on the main loop. Well on this particular morning, Monorail Blue was powered up and the the systems were checked. She was good to go. The only problem was that the track was never switched to connect to the main beam. In other words, THE BEAM ENDED AT A DROP! Needless to say, the driver did not realize what had happened until it was too late. The entire rear cabin fell off the beam. The cabin was at an angle with the nose cone touching the ground. Luckily, no one was injured but they did have to bring cranes in to take Blue off the beam.

Again I would not have believed it unless I saw the pictures! Priceless!
    Well, not quite.

Actually, I did work there at the time and I knew the girl driving Blue. I was also on Autopia so I had a pretty good view.

Blue was pulled off the main line to have some brake problems fixed.

Around 3PM the shop called to tell the operators that Blue was fixed and could resume service.

The driver (and her trainer) had just finished her 3 day training and signed her off. Since they were extra on the attraction, they offered to walk back and bring Blue on line.

SOP at the time was to back the train up to a few feet before the open switch and wait for the all clear to pull onto the main line. This was done to reduce down time since the other 2 trains had to hold at the stations while the 3rd train came on.

The spur line is on an incline.

Blue was powered up, backed out and somewhere around the incline leading to the open switch, the driver realized that the air brakes (the ones that stop you and slow speeds) had no pressure.

It wasn't her fault. The shop should have checked the train before releasing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Austinnightwolf
    I don't believe the story about monorail orange, it was used regularly until just a few years ago. From posts I found dating back to 2001, monorail Red was the real messed up one that people thought would never return back on the track. Monorail Orange was used so extensively that he motors literally fell apart, because it was the most reliable train in the late 90's and early 2000's. I still think monorail orange will be reincarnated in late 2007 as the new monorail orange. Check out this video from 1987, it shows the old and new monorails on the track: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...yland+monorail
    Well whether or not you believe the Orange story, it happened.

I knew the parties involved and was there at the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast