• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Very Special Charity Event At The ESPN Zone Wed 7/12

This is just to give you a heads up...that if you're going to be around the DLR on Wednesday 7/12, you might want to stop by the ESPN Zone for a very special event.

The Zone will be taking part in ESPN's overall fund-raising drive to benefit the Jimmy V Foundation for Cancer Research.

Both the local ESPN Radio affiliate KSPN AM 710, and KLOS's Mark and Brian will be broadcasting from the Zone...and according to 710espn.com, a number of sports items and "experiences" will be up for auction, as will a number of national items as part of ESPN's overall effort.

Jim Valvano was the flamboyant and always optimistic coach of the 1983 "Cinderella" college basketball champion North Carolina State Wolfpack. He later worked as an ESPN analyst and motivational speaker until cancer silenced him in 1993.

If you've never heard Valvano's classic speech a few weeks before his death at the 1993 ESPY awards...check it out on the website, or, I am sure, during one of the times it's sure to be re-shown on ESPN tomorrow.
    It's one of the great speeches, from one of the great gentlemen in all of sports. An excerpt...my favorite...aside from the part when he gives the floor manager a good-natured Italian "what-for" when he gets his "30-seconds" cue...

To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.
    Indeed.

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 07-12-2006 at 03:04 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Neep meep beep

Re: Very Special Charity Event At The ESPN Zone Wed 7/12

That is great to know, and thank you for the information!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Just thought I'd give this a quick bump so that others might have a chance to see it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Barry, thanks for posting this. Cancer research in general is something near and dear to me. I remember watching Jimmy V's speech the night he gave it, it is an absolutely amazing speech. If I have nothing else going on, I may have to head back up to DLR to stop by ESPN Zone.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Barry, thanks for posting this. Cancer research in general is something near and dear to me. I remember watching Jimmy V's speech the night he gave it, it is an absolutely amazing speech. If I have nothing else going on, I may have to head back up to DLR to stop by ESPN Zone.
    Jimmy V was a good coach, and an excellent college basketball TV analyst and speaker. Again, for anyone who hasn't heard that 1993 speech, they should listen to it...it's on the web.

--Barry