Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• I like Cheese...

A funhouse themed darkride would be a really cool addition to the area, along with all of TigerTails's suggestions... They could replace some of the boardwalk gmes with a darkride maybe.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Oh, there's SO MUCH wrong with PP!

If your going to theme part of it to Little Mermaid, (Restaurant, Carousel, Jumpin Jellys) keep them together.

As pointed out already, the period theme for the boardwalk area isn't carried throughout the area with costumes, etc. This should be carried through to California Screamin's Music ~ the electric guitar music throws the whole theme out, and the queue for California sucks too.

The Route 66 theme is a poor excuse for a theme, almost a worse theme than the carney theme . That pink dinosaur doesnt theme nostalgic when there are a couple better ones just outside of Banning off of I-10.

A rollercoaster themed as a rollercoaster is showing that NO imagination is left in the Disney Company.

A Ferris Wheel? same thing!

Orange Stinger? Well, when the bee seats were in it was almost funny. Now were just laughing AT them, not with them. Again, Imagineering with a twist in the wrong direction.

The whole Paradise Puddle: This huge area wasn't designed with any attraction or show in mind, and no infastucture to support any additions. Then when a show was added, it was discovered that viewing areas were not planned for either.

The only way to improve this poorly planned area is to rip it out altogether.

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by DznyVan
    I take it for what it is worth (to us).

When Disneyland gets too crowded for our tastes, we venture over to DCA. We by-pass the cheesy rides, shops and the rip-off carnival type games. We take the kids on the rides that they want to go on, spend some time walking around enjoying the sights and grab a bite to eat before we head back over to DL.

As much as we are Disney fans, we would never pay separately to go to DCA. As long as we have AP's which include both parks we will "use" DCA to our advantage. I say "use" because that is the way that we feel as we hit the exit gate. DCA is right there, so rather than go somewhere else for a few hours, we go in. We get what we want out of it and then leave. Is that the definition of "used" as it relates to the way that we are using it??? Kind of like eating the icing off of the cake.
    Yeah, I can't imagine paying full price for DCA either. We just view it as a DLs new land across the big concrete slab...

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigertail777
    sigh ... well you asked for it...
    Fantastic! I read a lot of people's ideas for rides, fixes and entertainment but yours are pretty close to being right on the money

I am in full agreement with adding classic boardwalk thrills. I can never figure out why they put a wild mouse coaster in when they could have gone really classic. For the love of Mike, a Tilt'OWhirl would have been more appropriate than Mullholland Maddness is to the serviceable theme.

As are most other people, I am bothered by the powerlines, the convention center and Coco's that can be seen from inside the park. The PP Hotel doesn't bother me all that much (in fact it kinda works for me).

What really irks me is TOT. You can see it from EVERYWHERE! I mean, I like the ride but it's such a blemish. If you stand North East of the Matterhorn you can see TOT from inside Disneyland. Such poor planning... :confused:
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    SoCalDude needs to come up to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk if he thinks there's no place in CA that resembles Paradise Pier.
    I present to you the next sentence in my post that you skipped over:

"Sure, there may have been some CA area that looked like that, but where did that sort of area originate in? Thats right - the East coast."

You can not deny this type of area originated in the East coast. It is NOT an original, or even close to original California attraction. And I know when I see it the first and only thing I think of is pure East coast.

These are my thoughts, and thats what this thread is about - giving your thoughts about the PP area of DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude
    I present to you the next sentence in my post that you skipped over:

"Sure, there may have been some CA area that looked like that, but where did that sort of area originate in? Thats right - the East coast."

You can not deny this type of area originated in the East coast. It is NOT an original, or even close to original California attraction. And I know when I see it the first and only thing I think of is pure East coast.

These are my thoughts, and thats what this thread is about - giving your thoughts about the PP area of DCA.
    I am just playing Devil's :devil: advocate here... but just because it's from another part of the world doesn't make it un-Californian. Heck that's what makes California so special. Haven't you seen Golden Dreams (har,har), we're all transplants here!

Think about it, wine country is a huge part of California culture and it certainly orginated somewhere else. If DCA discounted everything as being from somewhere else there'd be literally nothing in the park... which is reduntant I know.

Now if you want to talk about a land that's a fish out of water, let's talk about A Bug's Land.

Hand in hand, heart to heart, we can finish anything we start...

Quote Originally Posted by fearsnda
    Now if you want to talk about a land that's a fish out of water, let's talk about A Bug's Land.

Hand in hand, heart to heart, we can finish anything we start...
    but there's already a fix for that in my saving the farm thread

• Vehicle rotating backward

Now hold on a second here, Merlin. There's a lot here I agree with, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    * Power lines ring the area.
    Those power lines were formerly in The Great Parking Lot Ride and rang around Disneyland instead. Isn't that a little unfair?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDude
    California is known for it's beaches, but beaches did not originate in California.

If you want to make a park based only on California culture, you're going to have lands based on nothing interesting. Maybe we could add a Dot-Com land ("Mommy, I want to ride the cubicles again"), a freeway land, a plastic surgery land, and "The Border."

Lastly, once a day the entire park shuts down and blacks out all at once as part of a manufactured energy crisis, keeping with the whole theme.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 02-20-2005 at 03:05 PM.

My Thoughts...

I actually like PP, but I do think it needs to be tweaked in certain areas. The one thing I have never liked since it's opening are all the *games* and cheap looking facades in front. I think replacing the *games* and adding a real cool dark ride would be a smart idea. Why not a Little Mermaid dark ride?

And perhaps they could add some nifty *street shows* like they do in Hollywood. Something centered around that time era. And once they get a really awesome show permanently stationed in that lagoon, it will make the area so much better...especially at night!

And finally, get rid of that stupid looking pink dinosaur with the sunglasses. To this day I don't understand why they even added that!!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Red
    My brother calls it Disneylands version of Lagoon. Laggon is amusment park in Utah that is full of travalling carnival rides and other such things. Every ride in Lagoon is on Paradise Peir - they are just newer.

EEEW!!! LAGOON!!! I hated Lagoon! It was terrible. I mean, some of it was good, but it was like a fairpark!!! Ugh. PLEASE do NOT get me started on Lagoon!!! And what's with the location? FARMINGTON???

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEars
    Why not a Little Mermaid dark ride?
    Um... see... well... basically, I don't think DCA is Disney Character friendly. While I liked a lot of what you had to say, the thought of adding a Little Mermaid dark ride makes me cringe. I am mean enough to A Bug's Land about not fitting with the Cali theme and The Little Mermaid seems like an even more desperate attempt at pandering to... well to someone... I am just not sure who!

I like the little mermaid and I'd love to see the Red Head get a nice ride in place of the old Motor Boat cruise in DL. In my opinion (such as it is) PP needs something not based on preexisting Disney-lore. Ie: A Fun House, a tunnel of love, the tilt o whirl, a bulldozer... well you get the idea.

Um... see... well... basically, I don't think DCA is Disney Character friendly. While I liked a lot of what you had to say, the thought of adding a Little Mermaid dark ride makes me cringe. I am mean enough to A Bug's Land about not fitting with the Cali theme and The Little Mermaid seems like an even more desperate attempt at pandering to... well to someone... I am just not sure who!

I like the little mermaid and I'd love to see the Red Head get a nice ride in place of the old Motor Boat cruise in DL. In my opinion (such as it is) PP needs something not based on preexisting Disney-lore. Ie: A Fun House, a tunnel of love, the tilt o whirl, a bulldozer... well you get the idea.

I dissagree in that I think that both California themed attractions and a few character themed ones can coexist together in the same park if the transferance is done correctly

like I talked about in my saving the farm post Bugs Land would've been better suited as a transition of walking underground into the world of the bugs that happens to exist under a farm in california

thus my mermaid ride starts out on a california pier or fishermens shack and you are slowly pulled into the world of the little mermaid and exit it back into the pier once the ride is completed (or once you've left the gift shop)

I think characters can have thier place as long as they #1 don't overwhelm or take over the land #2 don't rehash the plot from their movies (sequals and prequals may be exceptable) #3 have a connection to the land's theme (why is this character in this land or why is this character in California?) #4 the ride must focas it's attention onto the rider not the characters themselves

and of course I think they need to be counterbalanced by the majority of the rides being non character based

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

and exit it back into the pier once the ride is completed (or once you've left the gift shop)

I am just playing Devil's :devil: advocate here... but just because it's from another part of the world doesn't make it un-Californian. Heck that's what makes California so special. Haven't you seen Golden Dreams (har,har), we're all transplants here!
    lol, ya - I know what you mean. But at least for me when I see all those stupid pier/carnaval/pay $5 for one throw type of "attractions" I think of coney Island and other East coast areas. And that is my point - those types of things may very well be here in CA, but at least in my eyes are associated with the East and not the West. But I totally get what you are saying, its just not what I see when I see that area.

BAH! You really do not have to limit it to Bug's Land ya know, you can apply it to the entire DCA park :devil:

• e komo mai

My gripe about PP is that it lacks creativity and thought. It looks slapped together w/ a very small budget attached to it. I expected more from the company that brought us the park next door.

They should just buy out the parking lot across the street and do a World Showcase like Epcot. Or something, anything else.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast