View Poll Results: Would the O.C be what it is today without Disneyland??

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck no there would still be orange trees all over the place

23 67.65%
  • OC would be the same as it is today

11 32.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• DisneylandDan

Would the O.C be what it is today if Disneyland wasnt built???

So last week Im waiting in the airport terminal at John Wayne for my ridiculously late flight again (Stupid Alaska). I began talking to this woman about Disneyland and we got on to the subject of the O.C really taking off because of Disneyland and Walt Disney. Im just curious if anyone else thinks that Disneyland had a major impact on the O.C. I do realize Walt wasnt happy with the development around the park but still, would the O.C have sprouted so much?

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

• Defying gravity

Re: Would the O.C be what it is today if Disneyland wasnt built???

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster
    So last week Im waiting in the airport terminal at John Wayne for my ridiculously late flight again (Stupid Alaska). I began talking to this woman about Disneyland and we got on to the subject of the O.C really taking off because of Disneyland and Walt Disney. Im just curious if anyone else thinks that Disneyland had a major impact on the O.C. I do realize Walt wasnt happy with the development around the park but still, would the O.C have sprouted so much?
    NO WAY!!! Without Disneyland, there would be no O.C. Ok, that might be a little bit of a stretch.....Certainly, Anaheim would still be an orange grove if it wasn't for DL. So Cal is all about theme parks. It's a HUGE industry. And it's not just DL - it's Knott's Berry, Universal, Sea World, Magic Mountain, etc. True, L.A. is about more entertainment than theme parks - movies, etc. - but theme parks are a major entertainment source.

Without WDW, there would be no Florida. Seriously - Florida is a giant swamp land. Why else does anyone visit? It's the theme park capital of the world.

• DisneylandDan

Maybe I shoulda made this thread a poll

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

im not sure... cuz if you think about it not every city that is large and vey pretty contains a disneyland, it may not have "made" the o.c. but it certainly boosted it's growth!

Disneyland had a huge impact on Orange County, but I hardly think Anaheim would still be orange groves if it had not moved in. We still have the great weather and beaches which attract a lot of people. Plus, we are so close to Los Angeles, that I don't believe O.C. had a prayer of remaining a sleepy little county. If Disneyland hadn't moved in (I know, perish the thought), I'm sure something else would have. Knott's Berry Farm was already here pre-1955. But Disneyland certainly sped things up.

• Grumpy old man

It wouldn't be exactly the same as it is today, but I don't doubt it'd still have a pretty big place on the map.

• Circle of Ancients

I don't think there would be orange trees everywhere, but it wouldn't be what it is today. It'd be just another LA suberb.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Walt didn't choose Anaheim because he was fond of orange trees. It was chosen based on a study that showed that it had the most growth potential.

So the growth was predicted well before there ever was a Disneyland. Not that the park didn't help spur development.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser
    Walt didn't choose Anaheim because he was fond of orange trees. It was chosen based on a study that showed that it had the most growth potential.

So the growth was predicted well before there ever was a Disneyland. Not that the park didn't help spur development.
    Indeed. There wouldn't be orange trees, but it's likely that you wouldn't have a major convention center, arena (the Pond) and stadium with many major hotels in the same area either.

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 07-12-2006 at 12:12 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

That's a really good question.

Without it, the area probablly would have been developed with track homes like what happened in Thousand Oaks with spare orange groves left over. Without Disneyland, there wouldn't have been a particular tourist and entertainment draw to Anaheim and perhaps into deeper Orange County. I'm sure Disneyland brings a lot of tourists to the OC beaches. There probably wouldn't have been improvements to the 5 and the surrounding area with all the nice lamposts and decorative elements found around the resort. And think about it, that nicer, larger portion of the 5 freeway is basically the start of Orange County and it carries you firther into it. It's visually appealing and sets the tone for a cleaner area(rather than the crammed LA county portion of the 5).

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Indeed. There wouldn't be orange trees, but it's likely that you wouldn't have a major convention center, arena (the Pond) and stadium with many major hotels in the same area either.

--Barry
    Barry said what I was trying to say ... only MUCH better. You ROCK Barry!!!

• Monorail Racer

It wouldn't be an orange grove, but it wouldn't be quite the center of activity that it is now. It would probably be a developed suburb of LA.

As for Florida, there are beaches, warm weather and spring breakers and snowbirds head there all the time without ever stepping foot in a theme park. Orlando would probably be a much smaller city than it is now, but to say that Florida would still be just a giant swamp is pretty ridiculous.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Hmm I think it would still be OC but it would be a much less magical OC!!! We would still have the fabulous beaches and weather that draw people here. Real estate would still be in high demand here. We would (and do) find other fun and frivilous ways to spend our hard earned cash.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

The OC wouldn't be remotely as developed as it is now had it not been for Disneyland. I'm sure the area would have been developed eventually (as all real-estate in southern California is eaten up), but as nice as it is now? Doubt it.

• Banned User

Well yeah. Look at all the ugly motels and businesses that have surrounded Disneyland for years now.

It is getting better now, however. I just wish Disney would buy them out..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast