Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

I think it's mostly brought about by the fact that this area has always been a transition land, but with Nemo leading the Biggest Rumor Disney Won't Confirm race, and the MBC being drained for no clear purpose, there's a real sense of wonder about what to do about this particular piece of real estate.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Has Al Lutz ever mentioned the possibility of this happening or is this just MiceChatters daydreaming?
    I had a friend at WDI and he hinted about this to me some years ago. With what's happening in the Sub Lagoon and MBC area we can hope that they might be reserecting the idea. After all, WDI never throws anything away (except good employees).
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

O_O wow this thread takes many ideas that I've been saying for months

of course then it's created while I'm taking a short week off from visiting tons of Disney sites (been watching E3 and rooting for Nintendo)

anywho I've been saying for a while now they might as well give that area a new name

they don't need to add to much more

visualy it's never really matched the traditional tomorrowland

I've always advocated a Discovery/Exploration-land name that matches the general theme that all these attractions share (but I'm not talking about bringing in any sort of victorian themeing or litteral interpitation of Paris's land or some unknown concept just creating a new land out of the general theme the areas always had)

visualy the Matterhorn and Sub Lagoon have always matched each other and both have always had a theme involving exploration of Nature and our world (exploring a mountain exploring the ocean) you could also say that they're about discovering new things in these types of locations (you search these kinds of locations to discover new things)

Autopia matches this area much better then it does Tomorrowland also (children discover what it's like to drive or perhaps you can use the automobile as a form of exploring our world) and then with the addition of Aquatopia (a ride very conducive to what hte Motorboat Cruise has left behind) you would get these themes even stronger (not to mention you'd have to topia's "aqua" and "auto" bringing even more unity to this area)

• The one, the only...

I don't mind the creating of a new land, but just renaming a area that was already there and not adding any real rides seems like just repackaging the same old product.

Remember that the submarines are really not a new ride. It was there before and now it is being restored. Obviously, the Matterhorn and Autotopia are there now. What are we gaining? Just new signs in a few entrances? I say add a real new ride to this area and then renaming it seems to have a purpose.

I am all for more E ticket rides. This area calls for something really spectacular to pull of the change. If they want a discovery theme to this ride, then great. But I really think that just renaming an area is the cheap way to get excitment up at Disneyland. It is like getting excited about Space Mountain opening. IT WAS THERE BEFORE!!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I don't mind the creating of a new land, but just renaming a area that was already there and not adding any real rides seems like just repackaging the same old product.

Remember that the submarines are really not a new ride. It was there before and now it is being restored. Obviously, the Matterhorn and Autotopia are there now. What are we gaining? Just new signs in a few entrances? I say add a real new ride to this area and then renaming it seems to have a purpose.

I am all for more E ticket rides. This area calls for something really spectacular to pull of the change. If they want a discovery theme to this ride, then great. But I really think that just renaming an area is the cheap way to get excitment up at Disneyland. It is like getting excited about Space Mountain opening. IT WAS THERE BEFORE!!
    well Bear Country and Critter Country is an example of a name swap (I believe it was also the indian village)

and lets not forget Critter Country AND New Orleans were both formerly part of Frontierland if I'm not mistaken

there isn't anything wrong with cutting a new land out of existing things

I get the idea that Nemo will be newer then you think, it's an overlay but it's still much more then just refreshed Subs and with newer effects and sets it could easily be new enough to advertise as a new attraction

the combine that with a good complimentary ride Aquatopia a year later and you have plenty of reason to justify bringing in another two attractions to become part of this new land

the Tomorrowland trainstation might also become a good fit for this theme and have a name change

afterall what's so tomorrowish about the grand canyon?

but can you explor it? of course and how about "discovering" the age of the dinosaurs (when I was little I always thought the Primevil world was just you accidently going to far back into the past or something while returning to the present from the future? was this ever narrarated or did I just make it up? o_O)

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: New Land For Subs, Matterhorn, MBC area?

Uhmm somebody is going off on a tangent.

• Basking in birthday love

I'm all for that area getting its own little land. However, I think that Matterhorn works perfectly well with the European look of Fantasyland, so I wouldn't want to mess with it. Someone proposed an aquatic theme for this area, and I'd be all for it. Put a Little Mermaid ride in part of the MBC and bring back something like Chicken of the Sea. For this to really work on its own as a land, it would have to have at least a shop and a restaurant as well as just rides.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

aquatic theme? DisneySea? They have Ariel's Playground, which could work plus a Little Mermaid dark ride might work, the monorail track would have to be shortened to one loop around the Matterhorn to build up though.

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    aquatic theme? DisneySea? They have Ariel's Playground, which could work plus a Little Mermaid dark ride might work, the monorail track would have to be shortened to one loop around the Matterhorn to build up though.
    Plus you've already got Nemo there. (Or will have, anyway.) There's already a pretty strong basis for a water-themed land. (I'm not familiar enough with DisneySea to make any sort of accurate comparison.)

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

It'd be pretty easy to make Nemo/Matterhorn a land. Critter country is a land and it doesnt haven many attraction. Maybe add an attraction that is themed to have a group to shrink and travel inside a human body? Or is there something similar to that in Florida? I think this is a good idea.. but at the same time, the matterhorn fits so well in Fantasyland. Either way, I hope WDI does something more with this area.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Here's my 2 cents again about a land to bridge the toony Fantasyland and the sci-fi Tomorrowland:

A Land Full of Mythological Creatures:

This would immediately incorporate

1) Matterhorn ~ with the Mythological Creature called Abominable

2) KingTriton fountain and Ariel meet and greet ~ Mythological Mermaids

It could also have incorporated

3) Sub ride themed to the Mythological Altlantis, Mythological Sea Serpant

then add

4) A Pegasus suspended indoor ride-thru themed to Hercules
    and Mount Promethius and mythological gods

5) Add a Little mermaid Dark Ride.

6) Make a home for a realistic (mythological) Dragon

7) Add other creatures/attractions around Unicorns, leprechans,

Mythology would bridge Fantasy and Sci Fi perfectly

• Walt Disney Disciple

Maybe I missed it in the scan of this thread, but Baxter's designs for Discovery Bay look to have been used almost exactly in Disneyland Paris' Discoveryland...
    Kevin Crossman
    Disneyland and Disney California Adventure fan
    Disney's Animal Kingdom Fans: http://twitter.com/AnimKingdomFans

While I do think Matterhorn has nothing to do with the future and don't know why it was ever listed as a Tomorrowland attraction, Fantasyland can be more relevant. The Abominable Snowman is a myth and legend; a fantasy. And if you look at most of the buildings in Fantasyland (ie, the Sleeping Beauty Castle Court) has its theme towards old European style. Look at Matterhorn's boarding station and it fits.

Submarine Voyage allows/allowed you to travel through "Liquid Space" and explore the vast reaches and mysteries of the marine world.

Motorboat Cruise is the attraction that doesn't fit at all in either land, except maybe in Adventureland, but they already have an attraction like that, the Jungle Cruise.

• something else...

If you mess with the Autopia Track a little bit, maybe shorten it like it was when there were (i believe) two autopias then you can take the MBC area and make a new ride. There's plenty of room there. OR you can just work it around Autopia depending on what the ride is. Or just having everything weaving in and out of eachother like craziness, that'd be awesome.

Just thinking...
    You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

• Animatronic

The Matterhorn is a great transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland. It fits with the exploration/discovery theme of tomorrowland and it's circled by the monorail. I think Walt got it right and some of what's been done since he died has weakened and confused his remarkably clear vision.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast