Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• U. B. Bold

New Land For Subs, Matterhorn, MBC area?

Originally posted this in another thread, but thought the subject deserved a new thread of its own:

Has anyone else heard the rumor floating about the the new Subs may not even be in Tomorrowland at all? No, they're not going to move the lagoon, but the loose talk I heard was that there is a concept out there for combining the Matterhorn (which never really fit in Fantasyland or Tomorrowland), the Subs and something new in the old Moterboat Cruise area into an entire new land with an exploration or discovery theme. That would certainly answer the Nemo/future problem and would make more sense for the Matterhorn as well. I don't know how reliable this info is but it does seem plausible.
    The only problem I can see is that the Sub loading area is technically in Tomorrowland.
    Well, those imagineers can be pretty clever folks when the purse strings are untied and I'm sure they could find a way around that. In fact, the queue could begin over near the base of the Matterhorn and snake its way around the lagoon to end up at the current loading area, effectively moving the ride "entrance" to the other side.
    Have a look at some of the satelite images out there and you'll see that there is plenty of room for this new land. Its about twice the size of Critter Country.

Your thoughts?
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Official Mice Chat person

I think this would be cool, it's like a jules verne discovery land type thing. The area around the sub lagoon/motor boat cruise/east side of the matterhorn has always had no theme at all. It's just kind of a path that's "there". A discovery theme would be cool, and it would make a good transition from Tomorrowland to a Discovery land, then to a Fantasyland. (and vise versa) Maybe it could have a Jules Verne theme?

I've also heard a rumor about a Discover Bay. It would be placed around the rivers of america, near Thunder Mountain ranch. But that never happend... Maybe they are planning on using the same concept of Discover Bay and moving it over to The sub Lagoon area? Who knows.

• Just this guy......

Here is the information about "Discovery Bay"

Where is the information to Discovery bay? :confused:

• U. B. Bold

It should be noted that the Matterhorn was originally in Tomorrowland when it first opened in 1959. It was later "moved" to Fantasyland in the '60s. IMOP it has never fit in well in either place and would make an ideal E-ticket "anchor" for a new Exploration themed area. Yes, it is an old ride, but is there anyone who doesn't love it?

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    Here is the information about "Discovery Bay"

http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/discoverybay/

I pushed the button to quickly

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    Yup. I've seen this stuff before. Really cool. But I think they have something different in mind here. Think Stormchasers at TDS.

Wow! Thanks for that link! WHY Didn't they ever build it?? Why Why Why? Now they are talking about putting a Woodie and friends thing in the exact location! I hope they make the right choice.

But anyways, that's way off subject. Could this same theme of Discovery Bay be built around the sub lagoon? Autopia and the monorail tracks, and the peoplemover tracks are all there... So that might 'ruin' it. Maybe they could use the same name "Discovery Lagoon". It would work well with the sub Lagoon. They could even build a bunch of rides they talked about in that link.

• No bacon; sausage.

Autopia would be a good fit there too. More-so than tomorrowland, unless they dump Chevron and move to electric (or another alternative fuel) vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    Autopia would be a good fit there too. More-so than tomorrowland, unless they dump Chevron and move to electric (or another alternative fuel) vehicles.
    Hey, now ther's a good idea. Make autopia a part of this! I just hope that if they ever do this, they will put up a big sign that has the name of the land in all 3 of the entrance areas... This way people will be able to tell the difference between Tommorowland and "Discovery Lagoon, or what ever they decide to call it".

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

While I think this is a good idea, I have to argue with the poster who said the Matterhorn never fit in FL. With its 1983 makeover, the old world European theme of the Matterhorn makes it fit just fine.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Minion

Now, considering that Discovery Bay was distinctly Barbary Coast, isn't this land better suited to an expansion over at California Adventure? I've always thought that the current SF approach is demolish-able, and that this would be a great land for the Timon lot expansion, setting a new tone for the whole park.

As for the Discoveryland approach... I think it's an overly-European approach that wouldn't appeal to the huge portion of America that renamed their food Freedom Fries. Besides, it seems too much like a repeat of the Main St. theming.

I think a better way to update the MBC/Autopia/Subs area is to revisit the World on the Move concept there. Land, Sea, and Air. Turn MBC into Aquatopia, redo Autopia to go around a new showbuilding, and give it some scale City of Tomorrow buildings to drive through. And inside the showbuilding, use the Hunny Hunt technology to create a Jetsons-style flying pod on an elevated track, then entering a choreographed "traffic jam" where your vehicle weaves in and out of the other vehicles.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

A new land for Disneyland could be interesting.

That Discovery Bay concept seems tailor made for DCA at this point, especially as it was referred to as a "San Francisco of the 1850-1880's," complete with Chinatown. The entire area between A Bug's Land and Paradise Pier would be a perfect spot. DCA could stand a big infusion of history.

a discovery-centered land consisting of (at the start at least) of Subs + Matterhorn + Motorboat Cruise Ride Of Mystery is such a cool idea. It would definitely end our collective worries about it

• Rainicorn.

Remember ModHatter, it was only freedom fries around Washington DC.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea. The rethemeing would have to be really extensive, but they pay off would be good if it is done well. They can't go halfway like they did for TL 98. I think it would give a breath of fresh air to Disneyland if they incorporate some new rides, as well.

By the way, Discovery Bay is also at Tokyo Disney Sea, correct? It's nice that the concept wasn't truly abandoned.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast