Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: am a bit dissappointed

I'm disappointed they got rid of the Chicken Supreme at Jack in the Box! Worst sandwich in the world for you but oh lord did it taste good!

But, life's that way. Ya just deal with it and move on.

• Neep meep beep

Yes, look at all the whining people on these boards did when Pirates was having major shut downs its first week... where are all the "keep it closed for longer, until it's ready to be opened to the public" people and posters now?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    it wouldnt be so bad except that the only new thing to see from a florida perspective is HM updates as we were there last july. and the other point i was trying to make is if the ride comes in over budget , working or not, who is going to pay for it? guests do in higher prices for evertything from merchandise to food to gate prices. and I am sure the same people who are saying "get it right" will be complaining when their Ap's go up.
    I really don't think there will be any major changes to prices for admission, or for AP's. There's the standard price raises for the different tickets. It's also normal for a new E-ticket to come in every decade at least, but it never affects admission prices from what I've seen.

I'm sorry you're upset, but as if the fine print, "All things are subject to change without notice." Planning a trip to Disneyland a year in advance, expecting a ride to open at a certain time, is kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

I'd rather see the subs get the gold treatment than the copper. They've been gone a long time...the re-opening of the attraction is going to be a huge thing for the park. It's been a literal fight to get the subs back. When they do come back, they'll have to come back in full glory. This attraction's opening will be as momentous as Pirates was this year, if not even more so...at least with Disneyland fans.

• Banned User

let's see there were how many price increases last year? and then again this year... and you can bet when the subs come online there will be another one. DL isn't any different price wise than WDW and everytime a new attraction came online the prices rose at least a dollar even if they had already risen that year. I remember one year prices were raised 3 times. that was the year mgm came online. I am all for quality but it shouldnt take two years to do a ride that already has half of it's structure in place. two years to build a ride from scratch,, ok but not one that already exists. it didn't take two years to update HM or pirates, it shouldnt take two years to redo subs.

• Former Epcot CM

let's see there were how many price increases last year? and then again this year... and you can bet when the subs come online there will be another one. DL isn't any different price wise than WDW and everytime a new attraction came online the prices rose at least a dollar even if they had already risen that year. I remember one year prices were raised 3 times. that was the year mgm came online. I am all for quality but it shouldnt take two years to do a ride that already has half of it's structure in place. two years to build a ride from scratch,, ok but not one that already exists. it didn't take two years to update HM or pirates, it shouldnt take two years to redo subs.
    Okay, I'd probably agree with you if I knew as little about attraction development.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Incognito

Blog Entries

You dont seem to realize the attraction leaked like a sieve messing with the water table underneath. The whole track had to be rebuilt. There are new show buildings being built (see all the Sub picture threads). A LOT of time goes into building anything, whether it be a building or an attraction (which in and of itself IS a building), especially when they have to basically rebuild it from scratch. Not to mention building it all to CODE!

How long does it take to update an existing attraction? Cmash95, I don't think you are aware of how extensive this project is. Retrofitting original show buildings that are largely underground, built in the 1960's, and have been flooded for 40 years should take ... well, two years at least. The submarine show building covers then entire North/East corner of the park. Most people don't realize it's huge size because the Autopia attraction in built on top of it. California has some of the strictest building codes in the US that need to complying to rigid ADA laws and earthquake specifications. Why don't you just reschedule your trip until later in the summer. (and I don't think that your trip to Disneyland is going to be ruined because you won't get to ride the monorail over the lagoon until 2008.)

We could always bring Paul back.....
    MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney
    Hear hear. Thank you!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

It's the 50th anniversary. Of course there will be a greater hike. Disney will hike the price no matter what happens.

Haunted Mansion isn't finished with the updates. And what they've gotten done has been things that they can work and install overnight.

Pirates was a little more complicated, but the show scene were there, they just had to stick some new things in. They replaced the sound system and from my understanding the path the boats float down...to what exact extent I'm not sure. Add a few new special effects. But Pirates' updates aren't fully working, either. Luckily the Imagineers have some time to go back and fix things next year.

Let's see...the Subs are a completely different area of territory. Let's remember that everything has been rotting away for about a decade under water. I hate to break it to you, but that seriously alters the original show scenes and infrastructure. So workers have had to go in and check out what could and couldn't be salvaged-and if you've seen any of the picture updates, a lot of what used to be there has had to be rid of. They have to develop new pieces to place inside and pretty much re-do most of what used to be there. Then we're adding animation and attempts at getting character voices. Last I checked, it takes years for an animated film to be made...sometimes about a decade. The Subamrine Voyage was a long ride. It's not the length of a movie, but there's plenty of work to be done, plenty of things to be figured out. When the project was green-lit, it was by Eisner, and we all know how much he cares about plussing Disneyland.

• The pride is back.

I am all for quality but it shouldnt take two years to do a ride that already has half of it's structure in place.
    There was a lot less than half its structure in place. The conditions of the attraction had deteriorated quite a bit.

two years to build a ride from scratch,, ok but not one that already exists. it didn't take two years to update HM or pirates, it shouldnt take two years to redo subs.
    Apples and oranges. HM's updates were relatively minor, and were able to be done virtually while we watched. Pirates had some sound upgrades and new AAs put in. The subs have much more work involved.

I'm sorry you're going to miss out, but I really don't think Lasseter and Co. are really to blame for doing anything but striving for the best possible attraction. As for any potential increases, I'd gladly pay an extra dollar a visit for the new subs!

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney
    NO!

But seriously, considering the fact that this ride has been down for years. Like everyone said, they have to fix the track work on the subs (I know the subs are there.) work on the showbulidings, and get it up to code. Plus the vocals and little tricks they do.

It's better to get things right the first time.

• Disneyland Cast Member

And don't forget I believe the subs are not going to be self powered. They will be propelled by the track. So a whole new drive system is being designed.

• now on the mainland

This thread just floored me. We hoped and wished and prayed for so long for an attraction that would help Disneyland stick out (much like what Indy did over a decade ago), and actually had quality behind it. We finally are in the process of getting one thanks to Matt Ouiment, and with the assurance of John Lassater. Yet someone now thinks we're spending TOO MUCH money?! And John Lassater should stick with movies?! I agree with everyone else. Quality is everything. Without it, the park becomes the next Knotts Berry Farm. I'm not worried about prices going up either. Anyone who has taken a Micro-economics course will tell you there's a specific formula for setting prices, and when prices will exceed what the public will pay (I'm starting to sound like a Disney exce with an MBA now ).
    On a personal note, there is nothing I desire in Disneyland more than the return of the Peoplemover. I wait with great anticpation for any word on it's probable return. Every article that Al writes I wonder, "is this the one?". When it returns someday, I know it's going to probably take a few years to restore the track, and retheme the show buildings. I will wait for as long as neccessary. I will pay the price to get in. And at long last, when I can glide across the track at a nice 5 mph, I will savor every second of it.

^The subs will still be self-propelled, but will have new propulsion systems. So not only does all the lagoon work have to be done, but the subs old diesel engines had to be removed, and the new electric motors, batteries, and inductive power transfer system had to be installed in the 47-year-old subs. Not to mention, back then Inductive Power Transfer was a most a dream in very few people's minds. I'm hoping that new A/C systems are also part of this upgrade. And this is JUST propulsion, not to mention rehabing the interiors, new seats, new portholes, new driver controls, new sails, new paint, new propellers. Now multiply all this by 8, and that's just the work needed for the ride vehicles.

This attraction was closed in 1998 meaning very little, if any, maintanice work had been done on this attraction prior to the current work. Also, according to Al this should be opening in late June, with the first new monorail train to begin passenger service around Christmas '07.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast