Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• U. B. Bold

Disneyland Museum

Would you visit a museum dedicated to Disneyland's past?

With each decade that passes Walt's original Magic Kingdom becomes more and more of a cultural icon and, some would even argue, a national treasure. As the 50th approaches, discussions rage over what should stay and what should go to make way for something new. One look around these boards and any imagineer worth his ears would know that anytime you try to change or "improve" an aspect of the park that some folks consider classic or timeless you're going to be in for a whole lot of trouble. But of course the park must continue to change and improve or else become stagnant. So, what to do?

Perhaps the answer might lie in a Disneyland Museum. A place for old attractions to go when they are retired. Rather than selling off all of that history on ebay, perhaps the Disney company should set aside a special place for it where those of us who loved those old rides could visit and reminisce.

Such a place would have to be fairly big, kind of like a "Smithsonian of Disney" but just think of the merchandising opportunities!

Would you pay to get in? I would. In fact I would rather see that in the old parking lot than DCA.

Your thoughts?
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Thumbs up

I love that idea....!!! Like the Disney Gallery on a much larger scale!!! The idea of just getting to relive some of those old feelings is extremely valuable to many people and is possibly quite viable in the financial depertment.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I'm surprised that Disney hasn't already done it! Locate it near the park but across the street. Charge a separate admission. Not quite a "third gate" but another revenue stream. Why throw stuff away when people will pay good money to see it. Sadly, I'm afraid, a lot of the old stuff is gone or destroyed. Replicas could be made, however. I'd love to sit in a Flying Saucer one more time... even it was just a static display. Or hear "Blood On The Saddle" again... or ride the "New People Mover" that would transport you from Downtown Disney to the museum.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• U. B. Bold

I was thinking about the Mark Twain. Even though referb'd, she aint as young as she used to be. Where will she go when they eventually have to build a replacement? Or the old steam engines from the DLRR? They won't last forever either. Disney has a clear choice here. They can auction off their history or they can choose to preserve it in a place where it may be enjoyed for generations to come.

• Disney fans for life!

After we have a meal at Goofy's Kitchen we walk over to the wall display next to the Grand Ballroom. You could spend hours there looking at each item. The kids make a game out of finding Walt's namebadge first. There are cool old photo's around the corner next to the restrooms as well.

I guess that you could kind of call that the start of a museum???

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

I would love to visit a disneyland museum

• The one, the only...

It Is A Good Idea!

I certainly would go. I miss much that has gone by. But I do want to raise a concern. I remember a long time ago going to a section of Main Street which featured what was planned for the future of Disneyland. Believe it or not, there was a time in which there were rides on the drawing board and were featured and displayed before they were built. The anticipation was great as a kid. I know that this is dating me, but I remember as a small child seeing pictures of Space Mountains on maps and in displays and wondering, "When are they going to get that built? I want to ride it!!"

I am only concerned that now we are thinking about looking back at the past, looking longingly to what has gone by. When I was young we looked eagerly to the future, about what would come next. I find it an interesting shift. :confused:
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I am only concerned that now we are thinking about looking back at the past, looking longingly to what has gone by. When I was young we looked eagerly to the future, about what would come next. I find it an interesting shift. :confused:
    Perhaps an indication that the past really wasn't all that bad and the future isn't all it was cracked up to be :confused:

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Post Disneyland Press Release

New Exhibit and Film Produced Exclusively for “The Happiest Homecoming on Earth”
    ANAHEIM , Calif. , May 5, 2004 – On May 5, 2005 the Main Street Opera House in Town Square at Disneyland will help launch the park's milestone 50 th anniversary with the premiere of “ Disneyland – The First 50 Years.” Produced exclusively for the 18-month long “The Happiest Homecoming on Earth” celebration, the all-new attraction features a specially created historical exhibit and a nostalgic film journey through the first five decades of the Disneyland story.

The experience of “ Disneyland – The First 50 Years” begins in the Opera House lobby where guests will enjoy a detailed exhibit of artifacts including authentic attraction models, concept artwork, layouts and maps that will relay the fascinating story of how Walt Disney and his original team of “Imagineers” conceived, designed and built the world's first Disney theme park.

A focal point of the exhibit will be the original pencil aerial schematic of Disneyland created by legendary Disney Imagineer Herb Ryman. Created by Ryman and Walt Disney over a weekend in 1954, the rendering was the very first overall visual interpretation of the Disneyland concept.

Inside the main theater guests will enjoy a newly produced film retrospective highlighting the first five decades of Disneyland . The film will take guests on a heartwarming journey through the many memorable milestones that have made Disneyland a national treasure. Using archival photographs, familiar Disney tunes, narration by Walt Disney himself and newly discovered film footage (most of which has not been seen in nearly 50 years) audiences will relive their own favorite Disneyland memories. Along the way they will catch glimpses of some of the park's more famous visitors through the years, beloved attractions (past and present) and the numerous fun-filled special events and entertainment that have characterized the spirit of Disneyland over the past 50 years.

Following the impressive film presentation guests will encounter another exhibit showcasing the Disneyland that never was, including the stories and artwork of attractions and shows planned but never realized. The exhibit will also offer hints of what's to come in the years ahead.

“We've created an attraction that will really appeal to our core guest—reminding them of why they love Disneyland—as well as that first-time visitor who might not know much about the rich history of the park,” said Barry Braverman, senior vice president, Walt Disney Imagineering. “It's the kind of attraction that guests will visit time and again throughout the 18-month celebration, making new discoveries with each visit.”

Premiering on May 5, 2005 “The Happiest Homecoming on Earth,” an extraordinary celebration of the golden 50 th anniversary of Disneyland, will pay tribute to the millions of guests and Cast Members who have contributed to the rich legacy of “The Happiest Place on Earth” over the past five decades. The 18-month long occasion represents the biggest celebration in the history of Disney theme parks and is the first truly global Disney event (with commemorative events planned at each of the Disney theme parks around the world in salute to Disneyland ).

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I certainly would go. I miss much that has gone by. But I do want to raise a concern. I remember a long time ago going to a section of Main Street which featured what was planned for the future of Disneyland. Believe it or not, there was a time in which there were rides on the drawing board and were featured and displayed before they were built. The anticipation was great as a kid. I know that this is dating me, but I remember as a small child seeing pictures of Space Mountains on maps and in displays and wondering, "When are they going to get that built? I want to ride it!!"

I remember that place on Main Street too. Wasn't it right next to the Opera House? Anyway, I think looking back is a function of getting older. All of us baby boomers who grew up around DL get a little nostalgic when we look back at what we used to know and love. The park itself is also a "baby boom baby" and the older it gets the more memories it creates. It must look to the future in order to continue, but it must also honor those memories.

• Minion

Now, how can we make this a permanent addition somewhere? There's always that big useless plot of land on the other side of the Main Entry Plaza.

• Metal Head

yes
    How much longer will it take
    For the world to see.
    We should learn to live
    And simply let it be.
    Bloodstone, bloodstone.

• U. B. Bold

[QUOTE=Dustysage][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]
    New Exhibit and Film Produced Exclusively for “The Happiest Homecoming on Earth”

Very cool. But I agree that they should find a way to expand it and make it permanent.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Thanks Dusty!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    ANAHEIM , Calif. , May 5, 2004 – On May 5, 2005 the Main Street Opera House in Town Square at Disneyland will help launch the park's milestone 50 th anniversary with the premiere of “ Disneyland – The First 50 Years.” Produced exclusively for the 18-month long “The Happiest Homecoming on Earth” celebration, the all-new attraction features a specially created historical exhibit and a nostalgic film journey through the first five decades of the Disneyland story.

The experience of “ Disneyland – The First 50 Years” begins in the Opera House lobby where guests will enjoy a detailed exhibit of artifacts including authentic attraction models, concept artwork, layouts and maps that will relay the fascinating story of how Walt Disney and his original team of “Imagineers” conceived, designed and built the world's first Disney theme park.

A focal point of the exhibit will be the original pencil aerial schematic of Disneyland created by legendary Disney Imagineer Herb Ryman. Created by Ryman and Walt Disney over a weekend in 1954, the rendering was the very first overall visual interpretation of the Disneyland concept.

Inside the main theater guests will enjoy a newly produced film retrospective highlighting the first five decades of Disneyland . The film will take guests on a heartwarming journey through the many memorable milestones that have made Disneyland a national treasure. Using archival photographs, familiar Disney tunes, narration by Walt Disney himself and newly discovered film footage (most of which has not been seen in nearly 50 years) audiences will relive their own favorite Disneyland memories. Along the way they will catch glimpses of some of the park's more famous visitors through the years, beloved attractions (past and present) and the numerous fun-filled special events and entertainment that have characterized the spirit of Disneyland over the past 50 years.

Following the impressive film presentation guests will encounter another exhibit showcasing the Disneyland that never was, including the stories and artwork of attractions and shows planned but never realized. The exhibit will also offer hints of what's to come in the years ahead.

“We've created an attraction that will really appeal to our core guest—reminding them of why they love Disneyland—as well as that first-time visitor who might not know much about the rich history of the park,” said Barry Braverman, senior vice president, Walt Disney Imagineering. “It's the kind of attraction that guests will visit time and again throughout the 18-month celebration, making new discoveries with each visit.”

Premiering on May 5, 2005 “The Happiest Homecoming on Earth,” an extraordinary celebration of the golden 50 th anniversary of Disneyland, will pay tribute to the millions of guests and Cast Members who have contributed to the rich legacy of “The Happiest Place on Earth” over the past five decades. The 18-month long occasion represents the biggest celebration in the history of Disney theme parks and is the first truly global Disney event (with commemorative events planned at each of the Disney theme parks around the world in salute to Disneyland ).

Thanks Dusty, I knew that an exhibit was going into the Opera House, but I had no idea how comprehensive it was going to be. Kudos for the scoop

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage

Thanks, Dusty. I'm really looking forward to it.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast