Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• For old time sake

Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Disneyland isn't keeping me in So Cal. Though I will miss waking up in the morning and saying to myself....."I feel like going to Disneyland today."
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

I can't see many people moving to SoCal 'just' because Disneyland is here.

• FastPass n00b

Disneyland doesn't keep me in Southern California, but it does keep me within a single day's drive to it wherever I end up moving. The traffic, overpopulation and outrageous cost of living have caused me to become fed up with Southern California and I'll be moving by next year after spending my entire life here. However, because of Disneyland, I won't be moving outside of a one day's drive from there.

The trouble is, the only cities that have jobs and are within a day's drive of Disneyland are Las Vegas and Phoenix...two cities who's population and housing prices are exploding along with their traffic problems. But even with their budding problems and ruthless 100+ degree summers, it's still better than spending $1,000 on rent and driving over an hour to work.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I don't think people are moving to SoCal just for Disneyland.

However, when thinking of other, lower cost areas where my family could move in a few years, the thought "Can I stand to be that far away from Disneyland?" is in the back of my mind. It very well could be a prime reason why I decide to stick it out in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

I would like to move there to work for Disney. I've heard the Horror Storys I just need a fallback... You know.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Several years ago, surveys were conducted to ascertain the reasons people move to California, and top on the list were Disneyland and the Tournament of Roses parade.
    If that is so, then the questions were designed in a way to get that result.

For instance, let's have a survey to find out "Would you be in favor of reinstating a military draft?" To get the results you want to get, that question is preceeded by several others. If you want the results to have most people saying no, these are along the lines of "Do you think a person should be able to choose their destiny?" and that sort of thing. If you want more people saying yes, you ask things like "do you think young people have too much time on their hands?" or "is the threat of terrorism a top priority?". Basically, you lead them through these other questions in a way that makes it illogical for them to give an answer other than the one that you wanted all along. (Thanks to the BBC's Yes Prime Minister show for the analogy.)

Cheers
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• insufferable know-it-all

SoCal's overpopulation can be attributed far more to weak borders than to the draw of Disneyland.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

I actually brought this up with my mom a bit ago,
    Her Reasons we stay in So. Cal are:
    My dads job
    Her Friends
    The ocean
    The "not so terrible summers and winters"
    All my relatives live here

She said we would move if my dad got a job offer in another state though, the price of houseing here is WAY too high

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Our overpopulation has nothing to do with Disneyland.

I think that if one grows up in Southern California, they will less-likely want to move when they get older. Obviously there are some that do leave the state, but I just enetered college recently, and from what I've seen from my own generation is that they generally stay in So Cal, but try to move far enough away so that they don't have to live with their parents anymore.

For myself personally, Disneyland does factor in to why I never want to leave So Cal. But I'm not a normal person, statistically speaking, because I am a Disneyland nut, and I love it so much that I want to work there once I can move a bit closer to it. Most people don't think, "I want to work at Disneyland when I grow up!" I do, and for another thing in the area, I could cover all the things in life that I have passion for. It works for me, but my mindset is a rarity.

I also am not so sure I would be as addicted to Disneyland as I am now if I hadn't grown up in So Cal.

• Closed Account

Quite a bit! All those "out of towners, staters, courntry/tourist" realize how good we have it here in soCal with Disneyland! After one visit to DLR next thing you know it they are looking for property to live the good life! Without any traffic, smog, polluted rivers, heat, fires, floods, earthquarkes and other natural disasters of biblical proportions (still waiting for the locust) we have it made! Stay at home you people and go to Florida!

• Gay Man

My top reasons for staying in So Cal are:
    * I own property
    * Property is 20 blocks from the ocean
    * the weather
    * the culture
    * the people
    * the political diversity, cultural diversity, the food, the art, the constant discovery of new and exciting things

Disneyland could be included in the above, but I could live elsewhere if Disneyland was not a part of the picture but everything else was.

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
    Without any traffic, smog, polluted rivers, heat, fires, floods, earthquarkes and other natural disasters of biblical proportions (still waiting for the locust) we have it made! Stay at home you people and go to Florida!
    Actually most people won't live in LA because of those things. Add on the housing costs and people stay away. Believe it or not, most people don't want to live in LA or near Disneyland and don't really think Disneyland is a great park. They prefer to spend their money going to WDW.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie
    Actually most people won't live in LA because of those things. Add on the housing costs and people stay away. Believe it or not, most people don't want to live in LA or near Disneyland and don't really think Disneyland is a great park. They prefer to spend their money going to WDW.

Yeah, tell that to the contractors who can't keep up with the need for new housing construction. No one wants to live in LA.

Have I mentioned that the price of my home has trippled in the 6 years I've owned it? Such an awful place!

Well we relocated here from Seattle in April. The largest reason we picked this area over other parts of CA was Disneyland. But there is so much more to do here in addition to that. It's just a great area to live in and you can't beat this weather!

• Banned User

Many people are moving to Orange County due to the Mexican culture being prevalent here. Spanish language support services and the abundance of welfare/social services are the main draw. You should do a survey as to why people are moving to Santa Ana, which is less than ten miles from Disneyland. Orange County has one of the largest Spanish speaking communities outside of Mexico, the first largest being Los Angeles. The largest Vietnamese community outside of Asia can also be found 6 miles from Disneyland. I don't believe Disneyland is a factor in any of the current population growth in this county. May I also add, that Ball Jr. High, Anaheim High School, Katella High School and even Walt Disney Elementary in Anaheim, all are designated by the U.S. Dept.. of Education as being economically disadvantaged schools. If I wind up teaching at a school by Disneyland, the state will give me some perks for teaching the disadvantaged children. My suggestion is to visit the corner of Ball and Anaheim Blvd, and see how many Disneylanders you can find, after all it's right down the street. The Mexican general store located at that intersection does have a "Disneyland Shuttle Bus," which is a dilapidated old school bus, which I don't believe can make it out of the parking lot, let alone down to Harbor Blvd. So do some research here in Anaheim in person, ask people at the El Pollo Loco at Ball and Anaheim Blvd., if they moved to the area for Disneyland. One can see the Matterhorn out the window of the El Pollo Loco, so it would be a good place to start, speaking Spanish or having an interpreter is a must.
    Last edited by Austinnightwolf; 07-14-2006 at 10:50 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast