Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Closed Account

Red Face Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie
    Actually most people won't live in LA because of those things. Add on the housing costs and people stay away. Believe it or not, most people don't want to live in LA or near Disneyland and don't really think Disneyland is a great park. They prefer to spend their money going to WDW.
    I was being sarcastic!

Talking Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Regarding the Tournament of Roses: People don't move here so they can go to the parade!

The are sitting in their living room on January 1st with 6 feet of snow covering their yard and front walk. They see the clear sunny skies in a live tv broadcast from Southern California and they say to themselves, "There is a place I can move to retire". Or they say, "I am going to move there!"

Or they visit the parade because their school is playing in the Rose Bowl and they witness first hand the comparitive climate to their own. They come from places like Minnesota or Michigan or Ohio where cold means zero degrees.

Also consider the T of R has been in full swing for over 100 years! Well before the massive population buildup we are all enduring.

T of R is like a massive real-estate commercial that has been running on all three networks for dozens of years!

• Say no to Assimilation

Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    Yeah, tell that to the contractors who can't keep up with the need for new housing construction. No one wants to live in LA.

Have I mentioned that the price of my home has trippled in the 6 years I've owned it? Such an awful place!
    The growth spurt has much more to do with people who already live in LA and rent. They started buying like crazy when the intrest rates were low and some of them still buy now because they think they can make a big profit off the house within 2-3 years. Sure people move to LA but it's not as big of a number as you think. [smilie=1,18,37]
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

I live here primarily because it's where my family is. My siblings and their families, my parents, a grandparent, cousins--we all live in Southern California. It's really all I know. My brother occasionally talks about moving to another state and I have found myself saying, "but there's no Disneyland there". Yeah, that sounds really lame, but I see being close to Disneyland as well as the beaches as great perks for putting up with the high cost of living and the crowds and traffic. But like I said--this is all I know and the crowds and traffic really don't bother me.

• Closed Account

Red Face Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Actually most people won't live in LA because of those things. Add on the housing costs and people stay away. Believe it or not, most people don't want to live in LA or near Disneyland and don't really think Disneyland is a great park. They prefer to spend their money going to WDW.
    I was being sarcastic!

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
    I was being sarcastic!
    Oh ok!
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Gay Man

The growth spurt has much more to do with people who already live in LA and rent. They started buying like crazy when the intrest rates were low and some of them still buy now because they think they can make a big profit off the house within 2-3 years. Sure people move to LA but it's not as big of a number as you think. [smilie=1,18,37]
    Then why havesn't the rental market crashed? Instead, it is rising at rates that are shocking compared to what they were 5 years ago. It renters are buying, there shold be more competition for rentals and prices should be more competative. That isn't happening.

Los Angeles County

POPULATION GROWTH

One of the primary purposes of the U.S. Census is to measure population distribution and change. Although the nation as a whole has continued to expand, growth has been far from uniform. Between 1990 and 2000, 684 of the nation's 3142 counties reported a population loss, many of these in the Great Plains states. At the same time, five counties (three in Colorado and two in Georgia) more than doubled their population, and another 80 counties experienced growth rates greater than 50 percent. Altogether, 1109 of the nation's counties reported growth that exceeded the national growth rate of approximately 13 percent between 1990 and 2000. For more information on population growth in the United States, see our rankings.

Population, 1960-2000
    1960 1970 1980 1990 2000
    Total 6,038,771 7,041,980 7,477,503 8,863,164 9,519,338
    Change 1,003,209 435,523 1,385,661 656,174
    %Chg 16.61% 6.18% 18.53% 7.40%

Source: Census 2000 analyzed by the Social Science Data Analysis Network (SSDAN).

• Say no to Assimilation

Then why havesn't the rental market crashed? Instead, it is rising at rates that are shocking compared to what they were 5 years ago. It renters are buying, there shold be more competition for rentals and prices should be more competative. That isn't happening.

Los Angeles County

POPULATION GROWTH

One of the primary purposes of the U.S. Census is to measure population distribution and change. Although the nation as a whole has continued to expand, growth has been far from uniform. Between 1990 and 2000, 684 of the nation's 3142 counties reported a population loss, many of these in the Great Plains states. At the same time, five counties (three in Colorado and two in Georgia) more than doubled their population, and another 80 counties experienced growth rates greater than 50 percent. Altogether, 1109 of the nation's counties reported growth that exceeded the national growth rate of approximately 13 percent between 1990 and 2000. For more information on population growth in the United States, see our rankings.

Population, 1960-2000
    1960 1970 1980 1990 2000
    Total 6,038,771 7,041,980 7,477,503 8,863,164 9,519,338
    Change 1,003,209 435,523 1,385,661 656,174
    %Chg 16.61% 6.18% 18.53% 7.40%

Source: Census 2000 analyzed by the Social Science Data Analysis Network (SSDAN).
    Hmm Let's see.. Birth Rate? Immigration? People moving out of crowded living situations? Older kids leaving the nest since the intrest rates came way down? There are several reasons that the population keeps going up and why rentals are still pretty full. For a time there rental rates did dip. Back in 2003 I believe. But what I stated is still true, everyone in the US is not looking to relocate to Southern California. It's a very small percentage.

• Gay Man

And your data is located where?

• Say no to Assimilation

And your data is located where?
    I am speaking from personal experience with talking to people. I have lived in Georgia, Colorado, and Arizona. Most people I met would never live in California and can't believe I want to go back.

I also have been researching moving back to So Cal for 2 1/2 years. I have read articles about the growth in the LA Times, CNN Money, and from talking to friends and family that still live out there.
    Sorry I don't have a fancy chart to fall back on for you but I can make you one if you like.

• Gay Man

You can make a chart, but I might not give it much weight. Your statement goes against everything I've a) seen, b) read about c) learned while studying for my RE exam and d) what I know of CA real estate. So, I'm just wondering what facts I missed. If your comment is just based on a casual survey of friends then I'll keep refering to more statistically accurate data.

• Say no to Assimilation

You can make a chart, but I might not give it much weight. Your statement goes against everything I've a) seen, b) read about c) learned while studying for my RE exam and d) what I know of CA real estate. So, I'm just wondering what facts I missed. If your comment is just based on a casual survey of friends then I'll keep refering to more statistically accurate data.
    Hey, That's your prerogative. Statistics can easily be skewed to say what you want them to say.

• Gay Man

Very true. But, they at least are usually taken from a broad slice of the population.

Regardless of what the statistics are or personal heresay is, California property is in HIGH demand - either for sale or for rent.

• Say no to Assimilation

Very true. But, they at least are usually taken from a broad slice of the population.

Regardless of what the statistics are or personal heresay is, California property is in HIGH demand - either for sale or for rent.
    Here is something for you.
    "From April 2000 to July 2005, California gained 1.56 million people through natural increase -- the difference between births and deaths -- and 1.42 million from international immigration, according to U.S. census statistics. Domestically, more residents left California than moved here from other states. Southern California's population is approaching 17 million people and growing at a rate of 200,000 to 300,000 per year."
    taken from http://www.knowledgeplex.org/news/173345.html

I am not saying it's not in high demand, I am saying people from across the country do not want to move there and this article seems to back me up and my claims about birth rate.

Moved to California in 1992 (after swearing for years I would do no such thing). Disney wasn't even a consideration; my sanity needed a real city and there was a family connection here.

Family connection is no longer here but the weather's nice, have a house and all. I'm staying for now. I'd need a reason to move.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast