Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Grumpy old man

Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Disneyland is just a perk of living in CA for me.

I was born here, so really no choice to stay here. When both sides of my family eventually moved to CA, Disneyland wasn't even a thought and they all moved to Northern California anyway.

I have the choice to leave CA, to go university out of state, etc. But I choose to stay here? Why? Because I love California, the weather, the people, the diversity, the fact we are the 8th largest economy in the world, and if you move out of state and decide to come back, you'll probably not be able to afford a house!

• Say no to Assimilation

Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad
    if you move out of state and decide to come back, you'll probably not be able to afford a house!
    That is the truth! There is a reason I have been reserching for 2 1/2 years!!!
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Closed Account

Here's my story:

Born and raised in LA. Lived here for 39 years.

Bought a house in the San Fernando Valley 5 years ago for $235,000. Measly 1,500 sq ft., built in '55, tiny yard bordered by a prison-like concrete block wall overlooking an alley (also used as a dump for couches and matresses). Elementary school across the street with 1/2 the students who are English learners (contributing to LA's abyssmal 50% dropout rate). Immigrant neighbors moved in who can only afford the mortgage payment on a house worth ~$550,000 by having multiple families living in the house/garage. They like to leave their stolen shopping baskets on the corner, because they have so much civic pride.

Trips to work along Victory Blvd were surreal, with so many signs in foreign languages that it was difficult to know whether I was in Mexico, Viet Nam, Korea or Baghdad.

But hey, DL was only an hour away!!

10:30 AM today: Closed on a gorgeous 2,000 sq. ft. house built in 1999. Property is 1/4 acre, with a huge backyard--so big, it's hard to see where it ends.

Made so much money on the SoCal bubble that I paid with cash--effective today, I don't have a mortgage!

I haven't seen any graffiti since I've been here. All the shopping baskets I've seen are in the shopping center parking lot. The dropout rate is 3%.

Am currently 3000 miles from DL, but have so much extra cash that trips shouldn't be a problem, either to DL or WDW.

Not Afraid, I hope you realize that in all likelihood, your house value probably won't remain where it is. When the speculators that make up 25% of the market realize that they can get better returns elsewhere, they will dump their properties. When that happens, look out (also, all the folks who took out multiple mortgages and ARMs that are coming due will probably have a negative impact on the market--driving even more families away because they really can't afford to live here--no matter if there's a great parade in Pasadena once a year).

A few months ago, the LA Times reported that the number of kids per capita in LA was dropping. That means families are leaving in droves--like my family and I did. LA is becoming like SF, which has one of the lowest per-capita kid levels in the country--like New York.

That means--again--middle class families are headin' outta Dodge.

Sadly, LA is increasingly becoming a place only for the very rich--who can afford to insulate themselves from the less desireable elements of society-- and the very poor. Renters vote for whatever silly bond measure comes up--because they don't have to pay the increased property taxes (the apt. owner does, but can't pass on the expense, because the rental market is driven by market forces--not by landlords upping rent whenever they want.). Taxes go up. Middle class families leave.

It's really a sad state of affairs, and one that I was saddened to see even after just a few years. And sorry to bring politics into it, but it does seem like the cities in the "blue" states do seem to be having a problem atracting--and keeping--middle class families.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 07-14-2006 at 01:41 PM.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Great story Steve! You mentioned so many great points about the housing market in SoCal I don't even know where to begin.

Suffice to say I agree with you 110%. Well except for the part about renters voting for bonds all the time. I've never voted for a single bond in my life, and I never will, but I'm probably out of the ordinary in that respect.

Great job Steve! You give me hope that the IS life outside of California.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

The bottom line is it wont get any better in California they keep building houses and everything and it wont stop. Traffic sucks now we are full of *******s who decide to not learn how to drive and we have been hit nearly 5 times now. One time my brother was alone and he did get hit messed up his neck quite a bit he can still do everything and drive but he gets massive headaches now.
    Who knows what will happen to D-Land on it's crowds in the future but it does not sound good!

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

People move here for D-land??

I live here cuz I love it. I was born and raised here. My folks came here because Southern CA was booming (40 yrs ago). Most people I know move here for the weather or work.

• Monorail Racer

People love visiting Disneyland, but the number of people who would want to move there to visit all the time and for the Rose Parade are a very, very tiny minority. SoCal has so many other things to offer that people make decisions based on those things more than what park they'll be near.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano

Not Afraid, I hope you realize that in all likelihood, your house value probably won't remain where it is. When the speculators that make up 25% of the market realize that they can get better returns elsewhere, they will dump their properties. When that happens, look out (also, all the folks who took out multiple mortgages and ARMs that are coming due will probably have a negative impact on the market--driving even more families away because they really can't afford to live here--no matter if there's a great parade in Pasadena once a year).

I'm sure it won't and I'm not counting on it. I bought a house for tax purposes as much as an investment. As a CA native, I've seen houses rise to miraculous heights and fall back down, so I'm prepared. I'm just very happy we bought when the market was low. If I had a crystal ball, I'd sell now then reinvest in a few years in a larger/nicer house when the prices are low. As it stands, I don't want the mortgage to go along with the next step up house - which would be $700k plus. I'm lucky. I have an affordable mortgage AND live in So Cal.

• love my friends

A part of me wants to stay here because of DIsney (because I do work there) and I love my job.. but I think if a opportunity came up for my american hubby to get a job in canada, I would go back to my home country

Friends for life

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    I think you may find that--subtracting the illegal alien influx from California's southern neighbor--that the population of California has has in fact decreased.

I agree! Arizona is a close second to that remark!

We moved away from the smog in 1974... the only reason I'd move
    back is IF my mom passed and I needed to be close to family...
    most of my family is still there - mom and I are here in AZ.

I'd accept DLR as a benefit to being there, but wouldn't move
    based only on the fact that it exists. In the meantime... it is only
    460 miles and just under 7 hours away (if I drive REALLY fast!)!

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Just in case you're wondering why Southern California housing costs so much:

http://piggington.com/bubble

And, for those who live outside the state, how much influence does Disneyland have on your possible consideration of moving to California?
    Pretty much none. Disneyland would really just be an added bonus if I were to ever move to California. I would much rather have a Disneyland be built where I live then to have to move to it.

Living in Southern California, and no offense, but moving here solely for Disneyland is stupid. People are moving away because of the traffic, igh gas prices, high housing costs, high costs of living. Anybody who'd move solely for a theme park would need a wake up call. This is not meant to be offensive but why? Why would you move just for Disney. Get as far as Nevada or Arizona, where you can find most of the same amenities of SoCal and be close less than 7 hours or so from Disneyland. It would seem crazy to move here for Disneyland or simply the luxuries, ammenties, and lifestyle, but not if you have a job change or in the military those are valid reasons. But it seems why spend the extra money. My brother wants to come back to California for all the amenities, but for what he pays for a big apartment with living ammenties in Houston, he would pay triple or quadruple in California. Though it doesn't stop anybody from visiting. I don't think Disneyland itself contributes to overpopulation, but its presence in the Southern California lifestyle does, as everybody wants to be from or live in Southern California just by influence of the media.
    Last edited by pancakesaregood; 07-15-2006 at 12:07 PM.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

The better question would be: How much did Disneyland contribute to the growth of Southern California... especially northern Orange County!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Animatronic

Woah, it sounds like the state is being run poorly while the population is growing and families are leaving.

I really don't think Disneyland contributed much to it all, but that can change! Perhaps we should vote to let Disney run California. They did a nice job with their bit of Hollywood Blvd. I'm sure San Franciso would like a monorail going over the real Golden Gate Bridge and who wouldn't like a water ride around Yosemite's El Capitan!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast