Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Several years ago, surveys were conducted to ascertain the reasons people move to California, and top on the list were Disneyland and the Tournament of Roses parade. (I'm not sure if the rose parade was cited, though, just because it accentuated the miserable winters in the rest of the country.)

For those of you who live in California, how much is Disneyland's presence causing you to stay here?

And, for those who live outside the state, how much influence does Disneyland have on your possible consideration of moving to California?

You're also welcome to mention any influence Disney's California Adventure has in this thought process, as well.

• Cast Member

Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Not a damn bit. I may be a cast member, but that doesn't automatically mean I love everything Disney.

Southern California has much more to offer than just Disneyland. I wouldn't put much emphasis on it actually, but just one of the many reasons I love being here and being a native of this area.

But hey, that's just me.

Bye.

• Closed Account

Re: How Much Does Disneyland Contribute to Overpopulation in Southern California?

Sure would like to see the "source" of your purported surveys.

People move for a variety of REAL reasons--jobs, family, housing markets, better school systems. I've never heard that people move based on amusement parks or once-a-year parades.

You'll just have to trust my memory; it's eidetic. The surveys were conducted in the late '80's/early '90's so I don't think Google or some other search engine is going to help. Perhaps, someone out there can corroborate the assertion.

Whenever the rose parade was presented, the hosts and hostesses of the telecasts would refer to the statistic quite regularly. It was considered a major point of distinction for the parade.

The Tournament of Roses, after all, isn't just any parade; it's seen by more than a billion people worldwide. And, Disneyland isn't just any amusement park; it's an institution. Granted,... a once-a-year event may not affect quality of life greatly, but Disneyland surely does. It's a major amenity to living here, in my opinion.

Now, the reasons for California's more recent population growth probably have more to do with matters of practicality, but it's interesting to speculate on how much of a role Disneyland still plays.

• no flash photography...

when the rose parade is on they make commentary more ike small talk of hoe nice the weather is here and people will want to move here, but I take it as filling dead air talk and not statistics....

• Closed Account

I think you may find that--subtracting the illegal alien influx from California's southern neighbor--that the population of California has has in fact decreased.

I know it may be heresy to state this here, but for the majority of people who are not Disney fans, Disneyland is, in fact, just an amusement park. A well-done park, yes, but still just an amuement park.

While the parade may be seen by millions on television, the number of people who actually go to the parade is relatively small. So why would people move to a state to watch a parade on TV, when they could do that from the comfort of any living room in any other state?

And while you may consider it an amenity, I am adamant that an amusement park and a parade were not "top" on any lists for reasons to move to California.

Perhaps you're confusing the parameters of the survey. If the questions were phrased such as "What types of entertainment would you say drew you to California?" that may seem more reasonable. But people (in general--I'm sure there are a few on this board) do not move based on Disneyland or the Rose Parade--unless they got jobs with those two events/parks.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Several years ago, surveys were conducted to ascertain the reasons people move to California, and top on the list were Disneyland and the Tournament of Roses parade. (I'm not sure if the rose parade was cited, though, just because it accentuated the miserable winters in the rest of the country.)

For those of you who live in California, how much is Disneyland's presence causing you to stay here?

And, for those who live outside the state, how much influence does Disneyland have on your possible consideration of moving to California?

You're also welcome to mention any influence Disney's California Adventure has in this thought process, as well.
    I'm just blessed to be a so cal resident because of Disneyland

I don't see people moving to Southern California just for Disneyland. I grew up there and yeah, Disneyland is great, and I miss being able to go on a whim a lot, but if I lived in a state with lower housing costs, how many Disneyland vacations could I afford without having to constantly deal with traffic, smog, etc.

We're considering moving back in a couple of years, and yes, Disneyland annual passes are going to have to be budgeted as a "necessity", but it's not the reason we're moving back. There are so many factors: the beach, Tommy's (for me anyway), Hollywood Bowl, Dodger Stadium, Disneyland, Knott's, Magic Mountain (hopefully), just the fact that there's so much to do. Disneyland is a part of it, but not all of it...and it sure isn't the Rose Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano

Perhaps you're confusing the parameters of the survey. If the questions were phrased such as "What types of entertainment would you say drew you to California?" that may seem more reasonable. But people (in general--I'm sure there are a few on this board) do not move based on Disneyland or the Rose Parade--unless they got jobs with those two events/parks.
    Could it be that the question was asked at Disneyland of employees? That could explain the answer.
    And most people I know that see the parade in person travel as it is a social event that involves friends and parties.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Several years ago, surveys were conducted to ascertain the reasons people move to California, and top on the list were Disneyland and the Tournament of Roses parade.

Disneyland's presence in California was certainly quite handy when I was growing up in Orange County and later working there, but has no influence whatever in my staying in the greater SoCal area. And the many good reasons to stay here are being outweighed by reasons to move, and I will quite likely be somewhere out-of-state by this time next year.

I would quite honestly miss the new MiceChat friends I meet, than more frequent visits to the Park itself, which of course I would still miss to some degree.

And DCA's part in my thought process? Mostly if anything it would hasten my move.

I wonder how many real estate agents are asked about how many good theme parks there are in a given area by prospective buyers

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• is on the rocks

I love Disneyland, but I wouldn't say that was why I'm still here. Practically my whole family lives in the SoCal area. I love to rock climb, ski and boogie board, all of which are easily accessible here (Joshua Tree, Mammoth/Bear Mtns, local beaches). Las Vegas is just a few hours drive away. The weather here is fantastic and I love to eat, so having all kinds of ethnic cuisines available for me to try is like a little slice of heaven.

So yes, the traffic and high real estate costs are a minus, but for me it all evens out.

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

To some degree, I think Disneyland *does* attract a certain group of people who want to break into the entertainment business. I actually work in Hollywood, and I routinely run into what seems like a steady stream of young 18-25 year olds who all relocated here to "make it big" and all seem to think that the whole town is connected in some way, including Disneyland.

Disney helps perpetuate that myth, by trying to have their stars do promotions and visits to Disneyland.

I wouldn't underestimate this draw - I'd say a large part of California's influx is people who came here to "chase the dream" and then ended up doing something else.

I do agree with a higher up reply - a lot of people are leaving California who are here for reasons other than chasing the dream - mostly descendents of said people or others who ended up here and found it difficult because of the high cost of housing.

I've noticed most people I know who have left the LA area who complain about the high cost of living all complain about the cost of housing. Not much else is seriously out of whack as housing - yes, food is more expensive, but it isn't so much more compared to the rest of your overall budget. Anyway, I think we're due for some price drops, but that's another thread (or board!)

If it helps, my wife and I plan to move to Florida when we reire to be closer to WDW.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Although it did at one time, I'd say Disneyland presently contributes little to overpopulation. Over the past decade or so, I've read countless articles about complaints from the Anaheim residents over the park. They don't like the noise, or the fireworks, or the tourism, or having to look at the park...and the list just goes on. Disneyland put Anaheim on the map, and the town would likely be in the red without Walt's dreamchild. DLR has been an economic boon for the town for decades, in terms of tax revenue, local jobs, and countless other ways.

If these glummy gusses weren't preoccupied with their insipid, purile anger toward the Disneyland Resort, they would be constantly complaining about other things. This is beacause they have nothing better to do. Not even "The Happiest Place On Earth" can livin' up the spirits of these kill joys. They're kind of like backyard dogs that just want to hear themselves bark. Sometimes, I'd just like to see these people leave and go elsewhere to make miserable the lives of others. They should make sure that the door doesn't hit them on the way out.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast