Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

20,000 Leagues went down for rehab at WDW. After being boarded up with the subs sitting at the docks and no work being done, it was finally listed as "closed indefinitely." I believe the Rods went through the same process.

Cris

• Clear for Dispatch

I worked at Disneyland right around the time they closed the Rocket Rods. From the moment they did, me and my fellow cast members never saw any work done on the rods track. I worked on the Monorail and the rods track went right by our track and station. I do remember in the mornings before they opened the park they would test the rods and slowly send them around the track, but after they "temporarily" closed the attraction we never saw them again. (note: They did place a rod in the hollywod pictures backlot at DCA as a prop for a couple of months.)

In addition, I did go into the Rocket Rods shop just a couple of months after they closed the attraction. It was located on the second story of the Innoventions building. As for the shop being visible from the train, I'm not sure about that, but I do know you could see the shop from the Monorail right around the portion of the trip when you "enter the park" after riding alongside harbor blvd. The side of the shop was open and they had a crane installed so that they could remove the rods for repairs. As for the interior of the shop, all the rods were stored there side-by-side on the two interior shop tracks along with a tractor. Much like the monorail diesel tractor which pulls the trains to the shop if they are inoperable, the rocket rods tractor was bright yellow and about 3/4 the size of the rods.

Anyways, the short answer to your question is...no, we as cast members did not see any additional work done on rods after they were closed.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Rocket Rods didnt really break down that much in my 1999 visit. They seemed pretty efficient/reliable. Maybe I just went during a "good maitenance period" for that ride or something.

The waits when I went (1999) were about 50 minutes average, nothing too bad...

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    I rode the ill fated rods. The day I went there was a short line waiting for the possible reopening of the rods. It was down the first part of the day. We finally got into our car and the one in frot of us died. The mechanics had to take it back to the shop. I asked the CM and she said that the ride broke down mostly for blown circuit boards and failed motors.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• No bacon; sausage.

We rode them the day they went down for good. According to the CM, the problem was programing. As a matter of fact, one of the main problems was rain, and "rain mode" (it happened to be raining on and off on that final day of operation). Because of the racing slicks they used, whenever it rained, the system would automatically go into "rain mode" which increased braking distances to prevent loss of traction. Well, that change in timing apparantly wreaked havock with the track sensors, which caused the ride to go 101 in the rain quite often (I'm guessing due to cascade failures, which is when the sensors decide that a vehicle has entered a part of the track it isn't supposed to yet based on where the other vehicles on the track are).

So the reason there wasn't much visible activity was because there was very little physical work to be done, it was mostly a ride control programming issue. Of course, they also realized pretty early on that it just wasn't going to be worth the effort so I'm sure the whole thing was scrapped much earlier than the outside world knew.

Wasn't the track itself also a problem? Given that it was orginally engineered to have slow moving PM cars and not heavy rods accelerating and stopping all day long. There were also claims that it was doing damage to the surrounding structures.

• Banned User

The track was a problem, but not as much as people think. True, it did cause minor damage to buildings due to the vibrations. But the track itself really isn't that unstable. It's kind of like the difference between being shook and being punched. The Rocket Rods track has simply been shook, and with repairs it'd be fine. If it had been punched and was in truly bad condition, they'd have long ago knocked it down.

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    The track was a problem, but not as much as people think. True, it did cause minor damage to buildings due to the vibrations. But the track itself really isn't that unstable. It's kind of like the difference between being shook and being punched. The Rocket Rods track has simply been shook, and with repairs it'd be fine. If it had been punched and was in truly bad condition, they'd have long ago knocked it down.
    Don't know if that's the best analogy. After all, all that happened to Space Moutains track was a bit of a shaking due to the added stress of the sound system...

• Banned User

Okay my analogy wasnt great, but it made sense in a way.

There were mechanical problems with the Rods themselves. The track was flat and unbanked, acknowledged by Cynthia Harris herself that it was cut out of the budget. That necessitated the Rods to speed up and slow down a lot more than similar rides, such as Test Track, which the Rods were meant to compliment.
    This constant acceleration and braking created a lot of heat in the computers and a lot of stress on the motors themself. Sometimes the motors and brakes would overheat, causing a shutdown. Other times, the computers that controlled each Rod would shutdown to prevent critical damage to the circuitry.
    Had the track been banked, lots of these problems would have been avoided.

• Official Mice Chat person

All this reading of the rocket rods has brought back many memories.. I wish they were back! Stupid track failure and stupid computer.

Someone mentioned that the wheight of the rocket rods shook buildings and damaged things...Maybe that's why they had the capacity so low on the rocket rods, if it were any heavier maybe it would have been worse.

• Banned User

Although banknig the curves would have made the Rods physically survive, probably until today, it still would not have caused the problems of long waits and low capacity to change. Although the ride would be shorter, and that'd diminsh waits, along with more reliability, they still would have A HUGE queue to fill and waits would still be long. Plus Capacity would remain low.

But I want the Rocket Rods back. Or a totally new concept for the Peoplemover. I mean sleek, futuristic, Peoplemover, not clunky and ugly Peoplemover.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    I know this isnt something you ask for, but since Im usually very nice, can someone give me positive rep points? I only have two little dots! Please, someone. I will reciprocate.
    Ease into MiceChat, read a lot of threads from beginning to end to get a feel for the regulars, contribute when you feel you have something compelling or interesting to add and the rep points will flow like fine wine.

• Banned User

Obvioulsy green rep is good and red is bad.

But I have a few rep points that are "gray". What does that mean? I don't see how to give those. Are they good or bad?

• Official Mice Chat person

What are rep points?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast