Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Minion

I found this video of the Rocket Rods... Kinda made me sad. I miss those rods screaching through TL. It really electrified the atmosphear in that area of the park... Aaaaaa. Memories. Check it out guys.

http://www.visionsfantastic.com/visi...ocketrods.html

• Official Mice Chat person

Great video, too bad the ride didn't last.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    I agree. The main thing they need to do is make better show elements.

I would like it of the cars when slow (not as slow at the PM) through the buildings, and they had some nice AA elements in there. Like storm troopers trying to shoot you as you passed through ST, a quick whip around the sun of SM, maybe but a cool AA in the Inoventions area. Talking about this sort of stuff is so thrilling for me.

GIBBAGE: I like that idea.... Storm Troopers could "halt" your vehicle when you enter Star Tours Bldg. after boarding at old Starcade.

You think "I just got on the ride! and it stops..." but really the AA's are moving slowly on a ramp that is moving at the same speed as the Rocket Rod.

It's like the old Universal Studios Hwood tram tour where the Battlestar Gallactica troops stop you from moving. But you break free and exit the building, racing down the stretch over the main Tomorrowland hallway.

The car races down, makes a quick U turn over Tomorrowland Plaza (where the Rocket Jet Tower used to be), races back to Buzz lightyearr and slows down... It incorporates into the Buzz show somehow (Zurg arresting you, too seems like overkill) and then you exit that building, zip around Tomorrowland's exterior over the subs and autopia etc., then re enter a tunnel show building at Innoventions. From there until you exit the ride, they can put in more show elements.

After all, the Space Mountain preview is being walled off to make that ride darker, so you wont even know you're going by Space Mountain.

Great Idea! I know how you could incorperate it into buzz light year. A wall would be demolished (inside the buzz ride) and you could see the peoplemovers passing by over head. There would be targets ON the peoplemovers that are only visable in black light. The targets on the peoplemover become part of the ride and something else for the Buzz Light Year riders to shoot at.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    Great Idea! I know how you could incorperate it into buzz light year. A wall would be demolished (inside the buzz ride) and you could see the peoplemovers passing by over head. There would be targets ON the peoplemovers that are only visable in black light. The targets on the peoplemover become part of the ride and something else for the Buzz Light Year riders to shoot at.

I love your idea, but instead of shooting lasers at other guests how about the RocketRods themselves have something that can be hit with the laser to score points.

The RocketRod show could be "Oh no, humans have mistaken us for Zurg's henchmen"... The only thing, is, do we get to shoot back from Rocket Rods?
    LOL.

I guess this ride is perfectly tailored to ANAHEIM, with guests encouraged to shoot each other for points.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    The Visions Fantastic Video of Rocket Rods isn't really that good, I dont like how it is chopped up in the beginning. The MouseInfo one (now gone) was better.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    I love your idea, but instead of shooting lasers at other guests how about the RocketRods themselves have something that can be hit with the laser to score points.

The RocketRod show could be "Oh no, humans have mistaken us for Zurg's henchmen"... The only thing, is, do we get to shoot back from Rocket Rods?
    LOL.

I guess this ride is perfectly tailored to ANAHEIM, with guests encouraged to shoot each other for points.
    Oh, of course. I didn't mean that they shoot THE people, I meant that they shoot the cars them selves. In the dark black light, it would be hard to see the people anyways... It would just apear as moving targets. I like the idea of "Oh no, humans have mistaken us for Zurg's Henchmen". No, the peoplemover people wouldn't be able to shoot back... that would be a bit to confusing to have guns in the vehichles with a 5-10 second portion of the ride that uses them.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    Oh, of course. I didn't mean that they shoot THE people, I meant that they shoot the cars them selves. In the dark black light, it would be hard to see the people anyways... It would just apear as moving targets. I like the idea of "Oh no, humans have mistaken us for Zurg's Henchmen". No, the peoplemover people wouldn't be able to shoot back... that would be a bit to confusing to have guns in the vehichles with a 5-10 second portion of the ride that uses them.

I was kidding about arming the Rocket Rods. But people could bring their own squirt guns from home.

Sadly not all DL guests behave like model citizens. Some of them are children and immature, others are gang bangers.

I think that's why Skyway went away people were spitting and throwing things.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    The station between Radio Disney and the sculpture doesn't really work any more now that it's not a platform for the Rocket Jets with a rocket pointed up into the sky. With the elevator to get to the Rocket Jets, it mimicked NASA astronauts getting on board a rocket or Space Shuttle.

Now that they put the sculpture up there, the whole Rocket Jet Tower building makes no sense. Downstairs its boarded up Radio Disney, upstairs no ride anymore.

Why even have Rocket Rods 2.0 station be there at all?

Maybe a new building could go there, or else they have to put things back the way they were.
    Well, Al says the PeopleMover is coming back and the spinner is going back to the top of the roof. But if the Astro Orbitor is too heavy to lift to the top of the RocketJet Tower, why not leave them out front and then reconstruct the Rocket Jets from the Observatron machine. It's the same spinner, apparently.

Everyone knows the difference between a Rocket Jet and a Rocket Rod, don't they ? ? ? DISNEYLAND 101 people ! ! !

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Did anyone visit between September 25, 2000 and April 2001 and see the Rocket Rods when Disneyland had them closed for "rehab"? Were they seriously doing ANY work at all? Where were all the Rods? Did they just sit in the loading area that whole time? Or did they leave when the rehab began?

Im very curious as to whether or not Disneyland was actually refurbing it or just said they were to let it die.

Were The Rocket Rods Sabotaged?
    Yes. Their budget was approved by Paul Pressler. :devil:

Here's what Al Lutz posted in his DIG Update back on September 22, 2000:
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz

Last weekend for the Rods... looking into the future

We posted on MousePlanet's main page earlier this week the new closing date for the Rocket Rods [the 25th] and for now it appears this will be firm.

The word still is that they will NOT come back - and as I type this there are several proposals now being pitched for the replacement.

One that is especially intriguing is a self- propelled roller coaster using the same track. Lighter-weight cars - and the ability to build banked track on the current pathway would allow for this.

This new ride - along with the possible arrival of Buzz Lightyear [as first seen in Walt Disney World], and the redo of Innoventions into a free "sampler" DisneyQuest [to get you excited about going to a local version when you get home] pretty much indicates that the Paul Pressler budget-minded Tomorrowland re-do just didn't do the job it was intended to do.

The good news is that they are looking to fix things. The sad news is that we all pretty much knew they were going to have to do this way before what's there now opened up.

Let's hope this is a new move in the right direction for the park. There is no timetable yet for all this to happen [if it comes to be] but the success or failure of California Adventure will probably be a major factor in all this.
    If the folks at TDA were planning to replace the Rocket Rods before they closed 'for refurbishemnt' then I believe there was little (if any) effort given to fix the attraction.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    I hope the new People Mover has some exciting element, it doesnt have to be Rocket Rods again but it should move around and do a couple of dips and pivot / turn.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic
    I miss them and the sound and motion they added to Tomorrowland.
    Remember that sound?
    I do. I thought it sounded rather like being dive-bombed by an aggresive mosquito in a cheap motel.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I'm probably one of those "old fogeys" mentioned earlier. But... I love a good roller coaster or thrill ride. Admitedly, the People Mover was a "snore" kinda ride... but sort of iconic to Tomorrowland. I rode the Rocket Rods shortly after they arrived. I was, frankly, underwhelmed. Speed up... slow down... speed up... slow down. No real theming and no real thrill... other than the same thrill you get when you're driving too fast down Ventura Blvd. and the light unexpectedly turns yellow. The sound was annoying. I'll admit... had the track been banked and those suckers let go, it would have been a helluva ride. As it was installed... on the cheap... it was a dud. So, here's your question for extra points: Why were Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris NOT invited to the 50th celebration on May 5th?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    If they do bring back a "People Mover " Type ride it should have 2 hubs and be a mode of transportation type ride. I think that would be much better than one big slow circle.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345