Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• CM for 4 years!

To CM or not to CM? - Whether to work at the Disney Resort

My school was having a job fair, and I thought it would be fun to go and apply to Disneyland. Well, they offered me a job as a hostess at the Blue Bayou and my first appointment to fill out paperwork is next Wednesday. Wow!

But I'm currently working at Blockbuster Video. I love my job, and I'm getting paid $8.50/hour, but I'm having a LOT of trouble getting enough hours to pay my bills. Now, I'm a college student, and all that I have to pay is car insurance and groceries ... Each paycheck is only $150 though, and sometimes, I'd like to buy myself a new blouse or a lip gloss, you know?

So the question is, is working at Disneyland, having dependable hours (this summer will be PAKCED for the 50th and I only want 24-28 hours a week), and getting the reference to the Resort on the resume worth a small pay cut and a 35-minute commute? Or should I stick with my current job?!

Are there advantages to being a CM? I'm looking into taking a WDW trip, so I could save a ton of money by being a CM. If it worth a slight pay cut and the commute? Please, responses from other current/past CMs and especially host/hostesses will be really appreciated!!

I have to decide by tomorrow morning whether to turn in my two-weeks' notice!

• Super saucy pixie!

Hi! Congratulations on the offer!
    In my opinion as a former CM, there's no job in the world like one for Disneyland. They may not always be so flexible in your new hire times, but I don't think you'd ever regret the decision to give it a try. I've held a lot of jobs and honestly, to this day I compare them all against my experiences at Disneyland. Yeah I might get paid more elsewhere, yeah the commute elsewhere is easier, but if I could haul Disneyland with me wherever I end up in life, I would. It was a wonderful experience and I recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.
    The mother of a friend of mine used to work at the Blue Bayou and she absolutely loved it. I'm sure you would too!

• Minion

Although I never worked at the Park in my childhood "Disneyland Dream Job" (monorail pilot), the opportunity to work at Disneyland should not be missed if you really love Disney and especially if you love Disneyland. I've never regretted the summer I worked there.

Whether you'd want to work there long-term, however, is another thing altogether.

One of the nice benefits is being able to 1. go to Disneyland on your day off, or before or after your shift, for free! 2. being able to eat at the Inn-Between, which is for Cast Members only (not that special but hey, it's Cast Members-only, and prices aren't half-bad), and 3. being able to go to parts of the Park backstage that you simply don't get a chance to go to normally.

Plus there's other little benefits, like being able to talk to the CMs who work inside the costumes. And isn't there a cast member-only store as well?
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• LoisAlene

Do you have any idea how many of us would KILL to have a job working At Disneyland? j/k, j/k

I've never heard a former CM say. "Gee, I wish I'd never worked for Disney."

"Disneyland Cast Member" looks pretty good on a resume too.

Downsides are the commute and it's going to be crazy this summer.

What doesn't change is dealing with people. They just happen to be a bit crazier when on vacation than when in the video store.

I've never been a cast member but years of working in the restaurant business gives me Some perspective. I loved it - and hostessing is easier than waitressing.

If it were me, I'd be out of the video store so fast I'd leave skid marks!

Best of luck, let us know what you decide! It's like not seeing the ending to a movie otherwise!!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Momzilla59
    Do you have any idea how many of us would KILL to have a job working At Disneyland? j/k, j/k

I've never heard a former CM say. "Gee, I wish I'd never worked for Disney."

"Disneyland Cast Member" looks pretty good on a resume too.

Downsides are the commute and it's going to be crazy this summer.

What doesn't change is dealing with people. They just happen to be a bit crazier when on vacation than when in the video store.

I've never been a cast member but years of working in the restaurant business gives me Some perspective. I loved it - and hostessing is easier than waitressing.

If it were me, I'd be out of the video store so fast I'd leave skid marks!

Best of luck, let us know what you decide! It's like not seeing the ending to a movie otherwise!!
    That's the thing, DLR will look much better on a resume than Blockbuster.

Plus, people are grumpy at the video store!

I'm going to talk to my mom and see what she thinks. If she thinks it's a good idea, I'm going to go for it!

• Looking for Love

Congrats on the job offer. I wish Disney would offer me a job. But i don't think the 7 hour commute would work out with me.
    Anyways....I don't really have much room to talk seeing as I've never worked at Disneyland and won't be working their untill later on when I become an Imaginaeer.
    But I just wanted to throw out the simple warning that when you work for somthing you end up hating it....But then again, this is Disney we are talking about so the rules might not apply.
    I just wanted to throw that warning out because I had a friend who absolutly loved Six Flags Marine World, and after working there for 2 years, she now claims she will never go back, not even to ride the rides.....Now shes a little on the extreme side, but you get the general idea.
    Technicly, I could work at Six Flags Marine World seeing as how its only 20 min away, but because of her horor story, I've decided to keep it for my fun and amusment place only.

Please don't take this as a scare off....a job a Disneyland might be one of the most memerable and exciting experiances of your life.
    Derek =]

• CM for 4 years!

You know, I LOVE my job at Blockbuster. The worst part is stupid/angry customers (and those are inexcapable in customer service jobs!) and the fact that I can't get more than 12 hours a weekend because the company is going bankrupt! I love the parks, I love my coworkers, and I love the casual work environment. I just can't afford to not make any money any more!
    Last edited by melmel; 04-21-2005 at 10:28 PM.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Take it- you will not regret it - I loved almost every second at the park
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Lost in Wonderland

If you really like Disneyland, you should go for it. It doesn't need to be a permanent job-- maybe do it for the summer, and if you like it, stay longer. Some people enjoy working at the park even more than they do visiting it. You'll get to meet a lot of nice people, and work (in your case) in a pseudo-outdoor environment. And if you find that working at the Blue Bayou doesn't suit your tastes, you can transfer departments after 90 days.

• LoisAlene

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    You know, I LOVE my job at Blockbuster. The worst part is stupid/angry customers (and those are inexcapable in customer service jobs!) and the fact that I can't get more than 12 hours a weekend because the company is going bankrupt! I love the parks, I love my coworkers, and I love the casual work environment. I just can't afford to not make any money any more!
    You Will get your share of tired and crabby people, but as you said, that's the case in Any service job. The other important part of your post is entirely correct in that many have predicted the demise of Blockbuster and other video rental stores with the uprising of Netflix et al.
    Best of luck melmel - hope your dreams come true!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Minion

My Wife worked at the Blue Bayou from 1989-1992 and she loved the experince. Its a good job and you'll have memories that you wont have with any other job. I say go for it.

• insufferable know-it-all

Understand this: it WILL change the way you view the park. Note that this is not necessarily bad, but it will be different for you from now on.

I've worked high-responsibility jobs in the airlines, and yet I still consider Disneyland one of the most powerful items on my resume. People are curious about it, and it still carries a certain mystique about it that can be very powerful when trying to get a job somewhere.

Disney is a hard company to work for. It can also be a great company to work for. Whatever you do, and I mean this, DO NOT let the bitter CMs get to you. If you allow yourself to get bitter, it's all over, trust me, getting un-bitter is extremely difficult. Some CMs have attitudes about guests that you are better off NOT adopting. And as long as you remember that, you will probably really love your job.

I know this post doesn't sound super-encouraging, but I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just being realistic. This is coming from someone who's had two runs of working at the park, and has seriously considered going back again a couple times.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Looking for Love

Hey Melmel, if you do end up getting the job, then you should post your picture on the boards so that when we go to Disneyland, we can all meet you and then you'll know all your micechaters personaly. Then we'll be like family to you...lol

But seriously, post your picture so we can say hi.
    Derek =]

• Captain Hooks 2nd Mate...

Im am on the Walt Disney World College program right now, and i LOVE working for Disney. Im in entertainment, and you deal with some of the nicest people, guests and other cm's. i have to leave in a month, and i plan on coming back in 2 years when i am done with college, but i am staying on as seasonal for now, and coming back at christmas and spring break. It isnt the best paying job in the world (i did the math, and if i come back as full time with 40 hrs a week, i would only make about 13,000...), but it is the GREATEST job in the world...

If you are still in college, you might want to look into the College Program at WDW. you get to take a semester off from school and work for disney... go to www.wdwcollegeprogram.com or IM me on AIM at MickeyMouse71755 or email me at [email protected] if you have any questions...

plus you get paid weekly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast