Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The one, the only...

We need more Magic!

Disneyland is called the Magic Kingdom. Walt loved magic and tried to make it apart of the experience of Disneyland. Even after his death, the imagineers seemed to know how to bring magic to the park’s new rides and attractions. Then the MBA’s came. They did not understand what magic is or how to achieve it. Most new rides seem to have all the magic sucked out of them. To those who do not know what I am talking about, I will try to illustrate what magic is and what it is not at Disneyland.

Feeling like you are walking the streets in 1910... Magic

Seeing your favorite cartoon characters come to live.... Magic

One minute standing safely in LA and the next being attached by hippos... Magic

Flying in what seems like a real space ship to a galaxy far, far away... Magic

Having birds start talking and even the walls come to life chanting... Magic

Flying over London in a pirate ship... Magic

Seeing a dead body hanging from the ceiling when you knew it was solid just a minute ago... Magic

Having busts of people watch you was you move through the room... Magic

Riding a real paddlewheel boat in the middle of California... Magic

Having stuffed animal trophies on a wall suddenly come to life... Magic

Watching a live Tinkerbell fly through the sky with fireworks going off behind her... Magic

Walking out of the sunshine and then into a building in which it looks like night in Louisiana with real fireflies and real looking clouds going through the sky... Magic

Having cannon balls fall around you from attacking pirates... Magic

Sailing UP a waterfall... Magic

Riding a roller-coaster in the shape of mouse ears... NOT magic

Playing carnival games... NOT magic

Having people demonstrate the latest inventions... NOT magic

Seeing a film about the history of California... NOT magic

Exiting to a gift shop on every ride you go on... NOT magic

I am sure you could list more in both category!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

I agree!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    Disneyland is called the Magic Kingdom.
    Disneyland has never been called the Magic Kingdom. Disneyland has been sometimes referred to as "The magic kingdom of Disneyland" or "Walt Disney's magic kindgom: Disneyland." It has never actually been named that.

The Magic Kingdom is ONLY in Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.

Sorry... just one of my pet-peeves.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    I enjoy california screaming, but it isnt magical as you said...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Animatronic

Bravo!!! Yes!!! Exactly!!! Let me add some more...

Wondering through a shop filled with rare antiques in a replica New Orleans... MAGIC
    Having the choice of only buying plush toys or candy... NOT MAGIC
    Taking amazing photos at Kodak photo spots... MAGIC
    Seeing decaying and broken rides behind mounds of parked strollers... NOT MAGIC
    Seeing a shark attacked by an octopus through the window of a submarine... MAGIC
    Seeing painted plywood cutouts of Pooh... NOT MAGIC
    Visiting a park that amazes, entertains, and educates all ages... MAGIC
    Visiting a park that a 5 year old would find juvenille... NOT MAGIC

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Disneyland has never been called the Magic Kingdom. Disneyland has been sometimes referred to as "The magic kingdom of Disneyland" or "Walt Disney's magic kindgom: Disneyland." It has never actually been named that.

Huhumm... Excuse me, but on the train at Main Street the taped or voice of the Disneyland train says in part" Now boarding for a trip around Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom"....How is this different? I'm just foggy on this, :confused: could you clarify? Thanks
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    One main magic thing for me is:

During the day trampling over tom sawyer island, and the mill area, then by night walking by to see people sitting and waiting for something, I wait and all of sudden, music! LIGHTS RISE OUT OF THE ISLAND I WAS TRAMPLING ON, MICKEY APPEARS, THERES A DRAGON! OMG... Then it all ends, and it looks like nothing ever happened, the lights are gonae, everything's vanished... Thats magic!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Merry 2014!

magic genie says," you want more magic? i got your magic right here, on TLC starting sunday night a whole weekdedicated to magic!"

oh, not the magic you were taliking about? oh. well then, back to your regularly scheduled programming! more pixie dust!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Huhumm... Excuse me, but on the train at Main Street the taped or voice of the Disneyland train says in part" Now boarding for a trip around Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom"....How is this different? I'm just foggy on this, :confused: could you clarify? Thanks
    That's just it... it's not saying Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom, it's saying Walt Disney's magic kingdom. The words "magic" and "kingdom" are used as adj. to describe Walt Disney's park... his magic kingdom. (of Disneyland)

Tricky grammar rules, eh? Because someone says magic kingdom, they could just be describing Disneyland Park... Disneyland Park is a magic kingdom. But THE Magic Kingdom Park is only in WDW.

In the Walt Disney World Resort, the actual name of the park is "The Magic Kingdom Park."
    In the Disneyland Resort, the actual name of the park is "Disneyland Park."

Also, while I'm on this topic...

"The Happiest Place on Earth" only refers to Disneyland Park in California.
    "The Most Magical Place on Earth" only refers to the Magic Kingdom Park in Florida.

And yes, Epcot is inside the Walt Disney World Resort...

This is why many people hate it when you (not you, just anyone) say that you're going to Disney World today, and Epcot tomorrow.

• Minion

Riding a roller-coaster in the shape of mouse ears... NOT magic
    Playing carnival games... NOT magic
    Seeing a film about the history of California... NOT magic
    I dont think DCA was ever ment to me "Magic". I think it was ment to be an area for people who want thrill rides.

I find it sort of ironic. To read the post's of people who scream and yell "Disneyland is not about thrill rides!", and then complain when the put the thrill rides in another park. I would think you all would be HAPPY Tower of Terror was not slapped down in the middle of Fantisy Land, or Screamin not put in TL. DCA was ment to be a Six Flags, with a touch of Disney magic. Not another Disneyland. You already have one of those within a stones throw of DCA!

Well if you have a good arm.. I think I can, depending on the stone..... I have a good arm.. But my legs are not any better then the security's, so I think im gonna pass on testing this out...

Man, I should not post at 2AM.

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill

I understand your confusion. But there is a correction to be made. Disneyland was original titled "the Magic Kingdom." It was what was announced at the ticket boths outside and announced by the train at the station. Even at the end of the day you would told "We hope you enjoyed your stay in the Magic Kingdom" when leaving on the tram. I believe that Walt called his park that. This goes back long before WDW was built. Disneyland is still called that today even by offical Disneyland announcers. When they did build WDW, they basically copied the design of Disneyland as the one and only park in Florida. For a while it was Walt Disney World to people so that might be why some still refer to it today. They used the same description, "The Magic Kingdom" in the offical annoucements at WDW because they just copied what Disneyland was using. Now when more parks were added to WDW, they needed a name for the original park. Disneyland was used, and calling it the Magic Kingdom came naturally.

Now I don't want to make a fus about this. It is not that important, but "Magic" is part of both parks. (After all they both have basically the same design!) As an original Disneyland fan, I don't mind that the Florida park took the original title for Disneyland. I think it is kind of flattering! But in this 50th anniversary year when we honor Disneyland, let us not forget that Disneyland came first. If there was no Disneyland, there would be no "Magic Kingdom" in Florida. So let us celebrate both parks. After all, they are both Disney!!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

I'm afraid to say you're the one who is wrong on this one. Disney even called Birnbaum's guide on the issue to correct them. If you look at all issues before 2002 or 2003, Birnbaum's was calling it the Magic Kingdom. Then it changed to Disneyland Park...

Now, according to Dave Smith, the name of the park in California was NEVER officially called The Magic Kingdom, but many people used the name to describe the park of "Disneyland." The name was used in many places, even in the park sometimes, but it was never the official name. And Walt actually answered that question once if he called the park the Magic Kingdom. He said that he didn't, that's something that the public came up with to describe his park, and it kinda stuck on. And today, it's not called magic kingdom anywhere except in older announcements. The name is Disneyland Park. You don't believe me? Get a guidemap of the park next time you go. It won't say Magic Kingdom.

Now in WDW, it does say Magic Kingdom. Perhaps some people used it on tickets or on announcements to describe the park, but the park was never officially called that.

• Official Mice Chat person

I think sitting in a dark room, not knowing much about what is about to happen, and suddenly you are rissen into the air and suddenly you are FLYING over the golden gate bridge is magic! Plumiting 13 stories down a deserted hotel's elevator shaft is magic also. Walking on a pier near the ocean, smack dab in the middle of a city, is magic. Taking a River raft ride through a mountain that's shaped like a bear is magic. Eating dinner on a fisherman's warf is magic. Watching Aladin soar over your head in a magic carpet is magic, walking through a sorcerers workshop to suddenly find the mirror come alive and start talking to you is magic.

Yes, it's not 'as' magical as birds singing to you, or ghosts apearing right before your eyes... But it's still Disney Magic! California Adventure is still a baby. Saying that DCA doesn't have as much magic as DL is like comparing a 50 year old to a 4 year old. Give DCA time to Grow!

I agree with you. True, California Screamin' might not take you through a flooded western town or any sort of theme, but it's a very fun, very smooth roller coaster. I would describe Soarin' as magical. DCA has some excellent attractions, it's just not a full day park yet. That doesn't mean it's not magical.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    I do think Disney in general needs to reinstate magic, instead of cheap rides that are designed to appease little kids--Monsters Inc and Nemo will probably be examples of that idea.

I don't nessacarily think California Screamin' is a good ride, but it's not THAT bad. At least it has a bit of a theme. No THEMING, but a storyline at least...a very small one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast