Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

Re: Favorite off property restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    ...Best off-property restaurant near DL now in Yesterland:

Belisle's...Harbor Blvd at Chapman...classic American fare with portions large enough to feed a family of four for a week, or so it seemed......
    You are not kidding! My Dad was a huge breakfast eater, and I remember we had to try Belisles specifically because they had a 12 egg omelette. They also had Ostrich eggs, and when you ordered "bacon" or "sausage", you'd get like 12 to 15 pieces! The largest portions I've ever seen.

• Minion

We eat at Denny's
    Tony Romas
    La Casa Garcia
    Storytellers cafe
    La Brea bakery
    and I want to try Millie's!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

^^^ ^^^ ^^^
    I'm a little confused - is this thread about restaurants "off property" or merely restaurants outside the theme parks?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Say no to Assimilation

^^^ ^^^ ^^^
    I'm a little confused - is this thread about restaurants "off property" or merely restaurants outside the theme parks?

--Barry
    Supposed to be off property.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Not a Corporate cookie-cutter place - Chris & Pitts (of Anaheim, Inc.) BBQ Restaurant the one just north of the park - 601 N. Euclid, Anaheim CA 92801 714/635-2601

Go North on the 5 two or three ramps to Euclid, make a right (east) onto Euclid at the top of the ramp, and they are on your left just past the second signal. Plenty of parking in the back.

Great little molassas-style BBQ and steak joint, great food and fairly generous portions (plan to take a bit home) and reasonable prices - what more could you want? Reliable clientele, usually packed on the weekends so you may want to call ahead. Besides, who wants to eat at an empty restaurant?

Unless you are obsessed, you can stop reading here - but I had to type this last bit out as I dug it up...

History: Chris & Pitts was a small chain started by Chris Papadopolous (Sp?) (Deceased - can't find history) and family members - My mom knew Chris somewhere in the late 40's through the 50's era. Accordng to Mom, Chris also had a small formal steakhouse restaurant chain, lost it to his ex-wife through divorce proceedings in the early 50's - and she and her family promptly ran it right into the ground.

Chris & Pitts got up to a peak of 18 locations across the region in the 1960's, but they are slowly dwindling off through attrition. The "chain" sold the retail rights to their BBQ Sauce recipe in the 70's or 80's (see next paragraph) and then broke up into individually owned restaurants long ago - which explains the "Of Anaheim Inc." part at the top of the page. After subtracting the North Hollywood location that just fell to the bulldozers a couple years ago (for a Walgreens Drugstore) I believe there are nine operating restaurants left.

I'm trying to trace the BBQ Sauce owners on the web now - It was first sold (afaik) to Durkee Foods, who distributed it from 1992 to 1995 through Billy Blues Food Corp in Houston and then sold it to them in 1995. Billy Blues reorganized into Watermarc Food Corp., which in September 1999 went Chapter 11 and was sold to Five Points Investments Inc also in Houston, and I lost the trail there...

--<< Bruce >>--

I love this place, there is one here in Downey off Lakewood BLVD right off the 5 freeway. I have been going here for about 30 years. I have been to the one on Washington blvd in Whittier and they used to have one on Atlantic in Bell or Cudhay. I just love the BBQ sauce and their food. GREAT GREAT place.
    Jason

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie
    Good suggestion. We don't have fresh seafood out here in the desert!
    But here in Tucson we do have a Joe's Crab shack

Personally I love to eat at the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disneyland. I love how its three stories tall. They have good food, but not great food- but the atmosphere always makes up for it!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redsix
    I love this place, there is one here in Downey off Lakewood BLVD right off the 5 freeway. I have been going here for about 30 years. I have been to the one on Washington blvd in Whittier and they used to have one on Atlantic in Bell or Cudhay. I just love the BBQ sauce and their food. GREAT GREAT place.

Chris and Pitts ROCKS! We used to go to the one in Downey all the time! Great ribs!

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    They're far away, but...

Katella Deli, in Los Alamitos
    Kaplans Deli in Costa Mesa
    Agreed 100% on the first one but I hate to tell ya, Kaplans is closed. Google it and you'll find a couple articles from the OC Register about it. Interesting what happened.

Bruce, thanks for the history of Chris 'n Pitts - I found it very interesting!

Thank goodness, YES, Marri's is still open and wonderful. And remember their sister location in downtown Anaheim called Bella Marris. Unfortunately their third attempt in the Hyatt parking lot didn't work.

RIP to Belisles - really a shame they didn't just choose a new location when they were pushed out of their old corner.

Los Sanchez was a great quick service Mexican restaurant roughly across the st. from Target near Harbor & Chapman, a recent victim of eminent domain. They are still trying to reopen at a new location but so far have not gone vertical.

La Palma Chicken Pie would definitely be my #1 choice. And I'd say go as many times as you can now - the owners are getting very tired as of late and I shudder to think what would happen if they decide to sell. I had a little chat with them and so far so good, but you never know...

Last but not least, up until a few years ago I would have highly recommended Love's BBQ at Harbor and the 22 Freeway. A great old BBQ chain sorely neglected in recent years, but with great food, kind of like what's happening with Shakey's Pizza. Last time I checked they were down to 2 locations (Lakewood and San Diego) so visit NOW to relive your youth

My non-corporate off-site recommendation:

Pho Republic

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Great choice! I ate there more times than I could ever count during my old days of living in that area...they used to make (don't know if they still do) a Hawaiian style chicken that was quite good.

And Bruce - OFF TOPIC...I was born in Whittier and ate as a child at the C and P on Washington Boulevard near Norwalk Boulevard...and I was back there a couple of weeks ago, and ate a delicious rib lunch there. I recall as a kid that they used to have sawdust on the floor!

--Barry
    Anaheim is carpeted, no sawdust. North Hollywood was a linoleum and sawdust right up till the end - makes cleanup at the end of the night a lot easier, the sweeping compound is already there. And it soaks up all the spills before the slip-n-fall can happen.

It's all up to the indvidual owners now, and the whims of how the local health inspector chooses to interpret the local rules...

I know of one LA County health inspector that won't let fast-food restaurants give soda refills in the same paper cup because 'it might cause cross-contamination', so he insists they give you a new cup - but get out of his district, and it's just fine to do it anywhere else in the county. Betcha the guy owns stock in Dixie Cup.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Zero Blockout Dates

Last edited by Uzmati; 07-19-2006 at 03:50 AM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Quote Originally Posted by Redsix
    Hate hate hate Chriss and Pitts....the pitts as far as I'm concerned.

But, there is a fabulous Italian place....Frantones Pizza, in Downey. Their pizza is sensational. I love their spaghetti and garlic bread too. Wonderful Torpedo sandwiches. Heck, I'll eat anything off their menu. I may as just well move in to Frantones. There is a Frantones in Norwalk, which might be closer to the Park.

Don't forget Straw Hat Pizza in Cerritos. Remember the old Straw Hat Pizza Palace.......with the famous cheesy thin crust....it's still there!

Does Downey still have Sambi---the Japanese place?

Sambi, on Firestone (NOT sambo)....used to have fabulous tempura.

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1
    Hasn't that been gone for more than 10 years now?? There's still a couple around but the closest to the park is probably Covina.
    Oooops. You're right. It was there in 2001.

Sad for Belmont Shores. What's in that space now?

Anyway, La Mirada is closer to the park!

http://www.clearmansrestaurants.com/northwoods.html

I need to go back there. I miss their special garlic bread, although you can by the Clearman's garlic spread in the grocery store!

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    Yes, Marri's is still around and still making the best pizza!!

My favorite place is still Mimi's Cafe - right in front of the Howard Johnson's - their Chinese Chicken Salad is the best. And the muffins are way yummy.
    YES! I love the Chinese Chicken Salad at Mimi's also--best I've ever had. Whenever we want to leave the park and walk to a restaurant, we always go to Mimi's. I'm not really into fancy restaurants--as long as the food tastes good, the prices are reasonable and I don't have to do the dishes, I'm happy.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast