Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Would Walt have carried a cell phone?

I was at Disneyland yesterday, and I saw so many people talking on their cell phones waiting in line on attractions....in attractions....exiting attractions. The thought just hit me - If Walt Disney was alive today, would he carry around a cell phone? My first response was, of course he would. He loved new technology and communication. But on the other hand, cell phones to me in Disneyland kind of takes away some of the magic. So I'm not sure if Walt would have carried a cell phone around in the park or not.

What do you think?

• Santa Barbara, CA

If he were alive today he'd be over 100 so I doubt he could hear the ringtones..but if he was 40 yes, as he was a big technology "early adopter" too. I think he'd have an iPod too. the real Q is what music would be on Walt's ipod..what would his playlist be? classical?
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Banned User

i think he would definately have a cell phone. i also think he would turn it off in the park so the magic isn't ruined.

• Looking for Love

A agree with you. I feel cell phones take away from the magic feeling of being inside the wonderfull world of Disneyland. When I hear cell phones go off, it makes me think of work, as well as alot of other people as well i would imagine. It pulls you out of Disneyland and back to reality, and no one wants that. I know that there are people who justify havingt them in the park because they want to communicate with the rest of their family when they serate. There is a solution for that and that is moto walkie talkies. The only downside is that you pick up alot of other people conversations. The last time I went to Disneyland, my friend and I found one of those walkie talkies on Indi as we were getting on, and for the whole week we were there, we used that walkie talkie everyday to keep ourselves ammused while talking to random people in the park. It was alot of fun.

As for walt carrying a cell phone, I think he would use one, but only outside "offstage" the park. He would agree that they take away the magic and he was very strict on standards, and i doubt he would break his own standards.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald
    I was at Disneyland yesterday, and I saw so many people talking on their cell phones waiting in line on attractions....in attractions....exiting attractions. The thought just hit me - If Walt Disney was alive today, would he carry around a cell phone? My first response was, of course he would. He loved new technology and communication. But on the other hand, cell phones to me in Disneyland kind of takes away some of the magic. So I'm not sure if Walt would have carried a cell phone around in the park or not.

What do you think?

I think this kinda silly, actually...

But it does point out a question that has bugged me for some time... Our culture gets faster and faster every year, thanks to computers and automobiles... And even business happens much faster than the way it was when Walt was around...

Now it seemed to me that Walt opperated pretty fast for his day, having assistants get people on the phone and so on... I don't think he would let a cell intrude on his family or creative life... But whould he have one? For certain, and probably write a animated short regarding how it worked as well as cell phone edicate... Probably staring goofy...

Imagine Mr. Wheeler with a Cell Phone... Oh, my!!!!
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries
    I don't claim to know the mind of Mr. Disney. I, myself, just got a cell phone. My reason for getting one, is so that I can call long distance for less money, and I can keep better in touch, when I am on vacation. I plan on putting the phone on vibrate and only using it to keep in touch with my fellow travelers. Walkie Talkies don't do that as well. I find it very interesting how they have updated the Mickey Mouse cartoons, on the House of Mouse. Mickey and all of his friends are users of all the modern conveniences. Computers, etc;

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Walt loved new technology.....he'd be in his glory the last 20 years or so with IPODs, cell phones, smaller and portable computers, flat screen TVs, etc. Honestly, Innoventions would probably be brimming over with these type of products if Walt were alive.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I imagine he'd have a cell phone but it'd either be some exclusive network that ties together everyone in the company (i.e. the only coverage areas are the parks, Glendale, etc) or a phone with all incoming calls blocked except the people he wants to talk to.

I can see him carrying a cell phone for it being handy, but I can't see him using it beyond as a business tool.

• Minion

If only more people used that little vibrate feature!

Of course Walt would have one, and of course he would have it off in the park.
    It just one of those things now that has changed the way we live, and people think its okay to blab away, interfering with everyone elses experience.
    The same thing on cruise ships. It really takes away from the ambiance.

But the really annoying thing in Disneyland, is all the people who use the walkie talkies, and there are so many, squelching, and beeping, and peoples voices yelling out, you can't find a channel that isn't taken anyway. Ugh. In my day, we said meet you at the hub at 4:30, and everyone would. Ahh the old days...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    I think he'd have an iPod too. the real Q is what music would be on Walt's ipod..what would his playlist be? classical?
    I think Walt would have the soundtrack of his future movies on his iPod.

• No bacon; sausage.

He'd have to have a hands free setup so his frozen head could use it.

• I can't stand you.

Yes of course with a funny lil ringer tone and everything

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
    Mickey Mouse
    Mickey Mouse
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    The last time I went to Disneyland, my friend and I found one of those walkie talkies on Indi as we were getting on, and for the whole week we were there, we used that walkie talkie everyday to keep ourselves ammused while talking to random people in the park. It was alot of fun.
    Huh?

You found a lost item, and did not turn it in? You used it all week instead?

That irks me.

My camera was stolen at WDW- I got up and accidentally left it behind, I noticed within moments, but someone found it- and kept it. I spent hours hurting over those lost pictures. I spent time hauling myself to lost and found hoping someone had turned it in. I spent alot of money buying a new camera and film (the stolen was digital).

Whoever left that radio behind in Indi would have wanted it back- and maybe it does not have the same emotional quotient since it was just a walkie talkie, but it still cost someone to replace it. You should have handed to the CM- and they would have gotten it to Lost and Found- and then someone would not have had the frustration and anxiety of losing their belongings and not getting them back.

Bad show.

• The one, the only...

Of Course!

Not only would he have had a cell phone. I believe he would have had one of the first, since he loved technology. I also believe he would have figured out some way to make it part of the experience. Maybe have Mickey phone you about your fastpass time!!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    Huh?

You found a lost item, and did not turn it in? You used it all week instead?

That irks me.
    Give him a break, he is only a kid. Hasn't developed that right wrong proces yet. He will get it evertually.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast