Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WDW vs. DL

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Re: WDW vs. DL

Quote Originally Posted by Lampwick
    This thread is so positive in tone. Is this really Micechat?

I'm a DL person, but I'm making my first trip to WDW in 3 months. Everyone I know who loves DL keeps saying, "It's not the same..." Well, duh. I'm really interested to just see the differences, not so much with the view of which parks has a better this or that, just from the standpoint of seeing something cool done two different ways.
    This kind of attitude is exactly the right one which will lead to the maximum enjoyment, IMO. After many trips to DLR, we went to WDW last month for the first time ever. It was really a lot of fun. But I did not walk away from there saying "Wow, WDW is so much better". Some things were, some things weren't, and altogether it did not matter very much because we enjoyed the Disney fun.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango
    3. POTC. I guess I was young enough not to notice any length differences. I remember being blown away by the que. Rocky cliffs and hidden prison cells. I also remember liking their final scene in the treasury and the swordfighting pirates.
    I thought the swordfighting pirate were at DLP?

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    The monorail does not go to the Animal Kingdom.....I've been told.

And I have to do the safari. That's a big part of it for me....maybe even stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge......

.....And I won't under any circumstances, take their shuttle/bus. Never never never.

That's a non-negotiable: No shuttle/bus ever!

It's either monorail and/or drive, for me. Nothing else.

Bottom Line: I'm the kind of person who craves convenience. It's hard to know if the Florida resort appeals to my need for convenience.

If nothing else, Anaheim is convenient.
    I would love to stay at AKL - with a Savannah view - we are space limited with four boys and thus a crew of six.

You obviously have very strong feelings about buses, etc., but I can say from what I had read on the WDW forums it was not nearly as bad as I was expecting. In fact it was not bad at all. It was kind of nice. By far the most "bad" aspect was just the time it took to get around - and it was about as efficient as one could reasonably expect.

One wonderful thing for us was allowing us to split up. When my DW decided it was too hot, she just left and caught a bus or boat back to our room. When my kids wanted to go to DTD to see a movie and visit DisneyQuest, off they went on the bus (kids were 10-16 in age, and I would not recommend this unless your kid is at least 12-13 year old, or accompanied by one). On this day I wanted to see more of MGM, so I hopped a bus there. It was very nice to split up and be able to move around efficiently.

Regarding convenience, I hear you and agree. But some things that are worth doing require some level of inconvenience. And having a car at WDW can be a pain in the ... posterior - trying to find parking, and all. It depends on what time of year you go, and where you stay. I chose to skip the car because I thought a car would be more inconvenient. And there are some places at WDW you cannot get to with a car. MK is just one of them.

If convenience is more important than money, you can use taxis. I did that on a number of occasions. For $15 (including a tip) you can get almost anywhere at WDW, including close enough to MK to easily walk there. In fact taxis are probably the single most efficient way to move around WDW. No parking on either end, and you can get pretty close to the park gates. Just an idea.

Let me ask you this, or anyone else who wants to chime in (I've never been to the Florida Parks)

When you were at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.....didn't you feel isolated? (Maybe that's the idea?)

Or, say when you were at MGM....did you always feel like there was someplace else you ought to have been?

Like there's no "there" there. Like you could never quite find the center -----that place in the whole resort that is the absolute hub.

Where ever you are, there's always somewhere else you should be, and missing out on something somewhere else.

????

That's not the case with Disneyland. The "Hub" is the absolute center, and when the fireworks are going...there's no where else to be but there.

There's a center of things at Disneyland resort, and you don't feel isolated, isolated by transportation constraints, or just isolated by better activities somewhere else, that you can't get to at the moment....

Just that feeling of never quite being in the thick of things...do you know what I'm saying?

At Disneyland it's impossible to feel that way, especially if one stays at the GCH which is right in the center, or even at the Harbor Blvd Hotels...which probably feel like the middle of everything.

You are really THERE, and everything is at hand, at your fingertips, everything is in the palm of your hand at Disneyland Resort.

Whereas at Florida Parks, you can never really quite grasp the whole of it, because no matter where you , you're never in the center..... If you are at the MK, you start thinking, maybe there is something better over at Epcot, but you are trapped because it's too much trouble to get over there etc etc etc..

That's my fear.

I think I'd feel weird going to a place, where there's always somewhere else that has something else better going on....or feeling like that, and being trapped......because it takes a production to get...wherever....and then wanting to be somewhere else...

Ok, I'm not making sense.

But, if anyone understands, let me know!

• Rock Star Minion

Let me ask you this, or anyone else who wants to chime in (I've never been to the Florida Parks)...
    I don't know if any of us can convince you to go to WDW. All of your questions can be answered by going there. It's huge. It requires transportation.
    Your fears will never be eliminated by our cajoling or comforting. Some day you'll have the money to go, and you will. And you will likely have fun.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Let me ask you this, or anyone else who wants to chime in (I've never been to the Florida Parks)
    Pisces, you are making me laugh - in a good way.

Here is two cents worth of opinion. At WDW there is so much going on you will always be "missing" something. But I never felt that way. I felt like I had a game plan that let us experience everything we wanted.

I planned - a lot - and there is a great "for pay - $20" web resource at WDW called TourGuideMike (www.tourguidemike.com) - aka TGM - which I spent a lot of time on and soaked up lots of info. There is nothing like it for DLR. "Mike" of TGM is a former WDW Cast Member (Jungle Cruise) and Disney supplied VIP tour guide. Disney tied his hands too much, and he decided to start his own VIP guide service - where he sets up complete WDW vacations and guides VIPs around the parks for $150 an hour. People such as CEOs of major companies. He has tour guides who work for him. He knows his stuff, is in the parks most every day. And he provides all of this info through his TGM website.

WDW is so much bigger than DLR that a good plan is far more important there than at DLR. You have to plan ahead for dining - sometimes months in advance - or you will miss out on special dining opportunities.

You are right that there is no "center". But that is just because it is so big. You need to have lots of days in your trip, and plan things outside the parks. And unlike DLR you need to plan in "off days" where you skip parks and recover your energy. Fortunately, WDW has two water parks that are one good way to have an off day.

The biggest reason you will miss things is because of a lack of planning, not because there is too much happening. TGM will really help you there. It will give you a philosphy of how to "do" WDW and get the most out of it.

Yes, you are further away from the parks in most cases. You can stay at hotels close to certain parks - such as AKL. But then you are far from the other parks. No big deal. You can get anywhere if you need to.

But then there are things going on at the hotels - dinner shows and such.

I think your concerns are mostly imagined. Don't let that be the thing that stops you from going.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

1) Our Fantasyland kicks MK's ... The MK is more like what DL used to be, a carnival inside the castle. DL feels like you are transported to all these great places, like London.
    That it does. I've always liked Disneyland's Fantasyland better that WDW's. More attractions and just... prettier. I've heard rumors several times that WDW's Fantasyland was going to get a makeover like Disneyland's did in 1983 but as of yet that's all they seemt o be... just rumors. I wish it would happen though. it would give our Fantasyland more... personality.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy
    Here is two cents worth of opinion. At WDW there is so much going on you will always be "missing" something. But I never felt that way. I felt like I had a game plan that let us experience everything we wanted.
    We're missing stuff there, right now!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Monorail Racer

There are so many cool things at both parks. My favorite is whatever park I happen to be in at the moment. I grew up visiting WDW every year from the beginning and worked there, so I have more of a history with WDW. Still, I love DL for its differences and the intimate feel to the park.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    We're missing stuff there, right now!
    OMG, you're right! And we're missing stuff at DLR too! What is a Disney lover to do? It's awful!

I guess hanging out on places like this is the next best thing for people "like us".

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

so many things the past 10 years or so have turned into a compition, what is better DL or WDW. DL and WDW are not survivor, we don't have to vote one off the Island!
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Quote Originally Posted by Magus
    There are only a couple disadvantages to going to WDW over DL. One being Pirates is way shorter, the Haunted Mansion looks far from Haunted on the outside, and the heat in the summer.
    Other than that WDW is far times greater than DL sadly and DCA was suppose to change all that but sadly reality struck and it never did.
    WDW is far times greater?? what a funny joke. If you don't like people bashing MK then stoping making wrong statments.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I am just going to copy and paste this statement in every one of these one vs the other threads.

"Each park is individual on its own and should be appreciated as such. They have many simalarities but they both have a different look, feel and over all experience. Enjoy each for what they are and don't focus on the things that they don't have that the other park may do better, they are both magical and are loved by people all over the world."

Have a Magical Day!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

double post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12