Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WDW vs. DL

WDW vs. DL

I just got back from my honeymoon in WDW on May 29th and I'm visiting DL this weekend. It's my birthday and my wife and parents surprised me with a trip. While in WDW I decided that I really enjoyed DL a lot more. But now that I'm going back to DL so soon I feel really... weird! Anyone else have these thoughts. Like I'm worried I'm not going to like Splash Mountain as much were WDW followed the story more. or how I really wanna ride the "people mover" (tomorrowland transit authority). To have access to a ride that I've missed just handed back to me but then going somewhere familliar and have it missing again...
    weird!

• The Fantasyland guy

Re: WDW vs. DL

Well, first of all, congratulations on the marriage. Love is a wonderful thing.

Now back to my love, DL.

I went to WDW in April and enjoyed myself. The day I got back, I went to DL. I'm glad I did! It felt weird. Everything in WDW seemed too big when I was there, but when I got back, Disneyland felt too small.

By the end of the night in Dl, I had came to the conclusion that I liked DL better then the Magic Kingdom because of a couple of things:

1) Our Fantasyland kicks MK's ... The MK is more like what DL used to be, a carnival inside the castle. DL feels like you are transported to all these great places, like London.

2) Our Toon Town blows "Toon town fair" away. Toon town fair is a joke! it didn't make me feel like I was in a fair, or a birthday land for that fact. The DL Toon Town is exactly what I expected it to be, fun. (although it could be better.)

3) Our Haunted Mansion just works better. The HM in Florida has a nice exterior, but the attraction is lacking some important items like a working stretching room. (I’ve been on the ride three times in FL, and all three times the doors opened up in the middle of the speech. this should not be possible, and isn't in CA.)

4) We have the REAL POTC. Nuff Said. (I haven’t been on the new on in Florida yet, just the old.)

5) We have New Orleans! I love the whole NOCC area!

6) DL is smaller, and I think that makes it more intimate.

Of course, there are things I like about WDW better then DL, like the hotels and the fact that you are in this magical place before you step foot into the parks.

• The one, the only...

Even though MK and Disneyland have the same basic design, there is a difference in atmosphere and feeling about the two parks. Going from one to the other will seems strangely different because there are scale differences between the two. Also both have different things to offer. The best way to approach each park is to know the best or unique things about it and highly those. For example, it is well discussed that DL's Tomorrowland is in need of help. MK's feel is much more updated in some ways. While DL's Space Mountain is a better version of the ride. It does not have the same atmosphere around it.

Bottom line: Both MK and DL have unique things about each to enjoy. One can look at each's shortcomings or their more positive points. I prefer to highlight the positives.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

There are only a couple disadvantages to going to WDW over DL. One being Pirates is way shorter, the Haunted Mansion looks far from Haunted on the outside, and the heat in the summer.
    Other than that WDW is far times greater than DL sadly and DCA was suppose to change all that but sadly reality struck and it never did.

• In Technicolor!

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

(C) JCF's signature

it bears repeating
    These are the games that never end.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    Even though MK and Disneyland have the same basic design, there is a difference in atmosphere and feeling about the two parks. Going from one to the other will seems strangely different because there are scale differences between the two. Also both have different things to offer. The best way to approach each park is to know the best or unique things about it and highly those. For example, it is well discussed that DL's Tomorrowland is in need of help. MK's feel is much more updated in some ways. While DL's Space Mountain is a better version of the ride. It does not have the same atmosphere around it.

Bottom line: Both MK and DL have unique things about each to enjoy. One can look at each's shortcomings or their more positive points. I prefer to highlight the positives.
    Agreed 100%.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Magus
    There are only a couple disadvantages to going to WDW over DL. One being Pirates is way shorter, the Haunted Mansion looks far from Haunted on the outside, and the heat in the summer.
    Other than that WDW is far times greater than DL sadly and DCA was suppose to change all that but sadly reality struck and it never did.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and you have yours here, but this kind of post disappoints me.

People want (or are accustomed to) different things from their Disney visits. Depending on what they want or are accustomed to, either WDW or DLR may have significant advantages and disadvantages.

That "WDW is far times greater than DL" is a true statement only in the context of a limited set of criteria.

For people who love Disney magic, both WDW and DLR rise to a similar level of greatness. But similar greatness does not mean similar experience. To experience the greatness out of each destination requires a different set of expectations applied to each destination. When someone says "WDW is far times greater than DL", I suspect that they have applied an inappropriate set of expectations on DL.

And the comment about "reality has struck" is highly debatable. Yes DCA is having some growing pains, but it has made remarkable progress in its first 5 years - see park 2005 attendance numbers here: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200512/2/, while attendance at both DL and DCA were at record levels last year. And DL is not that far behind MK in attendance - so there are at least some things going right.

My next comment is pure opinion. I would take DCA over WDW's Animal Kingdom in a heartbeat, and would take it over Epcot as well. I like WDW's MGM Studios more that DCA. But then MGM has had 17 years to get to this point, while DCA has only had 5. I suspect the next 5 years will even things out a bit more between them.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jawnjarvis
    While in WDW I decided that I really enjoyed DL a lot more. But now that I'm going back to DL so soon I feel really... weird! Anyone else have these thoughts.
    Well, you've cheated on DL, and now you feel guilty. Oh, she'll know you're seeing other parks. You won't be able to hide that from her.
    Tell the truth. You'll feel better not having to lie about it for the rest of your life.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

It's confusing for me, because I can't make a decision whether to invest in the $$$$, and/or effort to travel across the USA to go to Florida.

I already know I'm the kind of person who hates being forced to take transportation to get to another park , in the same resort.

And, I don't think I could bear no Rivers of America...or no Fantasmic on the Rivers...

But, I feel I'd like the Epcot, or at least the food of Epcot.

Don't know if that's enough (just the food at Epcot) to get me to make the investment.

I guess I stick to Anaheim for the time being?

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    It's confusing for me, because I can't make a decision whether to invest in the $$$$, and/or effort to travel across the USA to go to Florida.

I already know I'm the kind of person who hates being forced to take transportation to get to another park , in the same resort.

And, I don't think I could bear no Rivers of America...or no Fantasmic on the Rivers...

But, I feel I'd like the Epcot, or at least the food of Epcot.

Don't know if that's enough (just the food at Epcot) to get me to make the investment.

I guess I stick to Anaheim for the time being?
    If you rent a car, you are not forced to use WDW transportation (except for MK where you will need to use the monorail or boat). But the time it takes to get places in total does not change very much as compared to WDW transportation - unless you stay off-site. You just have to adjust your expectations, allow for more time, and realize you will have less time at the parks. The upside is that there are many more places to go within WDW.

Epcot food aside, WDW really does offer a lot in the way of entertaining dining.

There is a Rivers of America and Tom Sawyers Island, and it is nice to have a seat for Fantasmic - at MGM Studios.

The travel will make it more expensive, and then the fact that you are going that far will make you want to stay more days and see more - also more expensive. If you love DLR I think you will love WDW and have a great experience if you choose to go. I am glad I went, but I have not looked at my credit card bill very closely yet.

• Rock Star Minion

1. It's confusing for me, because I can't make a decision whether to invest in the $$$$, and/or effort to travel across the USA to go to Florida.

2. I already know I'm the kind of person who hates being forced to take transportation to get to another park , in the same resort.

3. And, I don't think I could bear no Rivers of America...or no Fantasmic on the Rivers...

4. But, I feel I'd like the Epcot, or at least the food of Epcot.

5. Don't know if that's enough (just the food at Epcot) to get me to make the investment.

6. I guess I stick to Anaheim for the time being?
    1. It wouldn't be an investment per se, unless you consider your memories some kind of asset. (And I do.)
    2. You could walk to the other parks. It's not recommended, though. OTOH, stay at a hotel on the monorail line, and it's like a free ride to start and to end your day.
    3. As stated above there is an RoA, but you could easily skip the fantasmic at MGM when you can see Fantasmic! at DL.
    4. Well, you don't know for sure unless you go.
    5. Perhaps your life will be longer than you currently think and one day in the far future you'll have enough money to afford spending it to go to WDW. You don't need to decide today.
    6. Yeah, if you're cheap and don't plan to go on vacation ANYWHERE else in the world, because every place will cost more than DL will to you, nothing could be better than DL. How could it? DL is the best place in the world.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

The monorail does not go to the Animal Kingdom.....I've been told.

And I have to do the safari. That's a big part of it for me....maybe even stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge......

.....And I won't under any circumstances, take their shuttle/bus. Never never never.

That's a non-negotiable: No shuttle/bus ever!

It's either monorail and/or drive, for me. Nothing else.

Bottom Line: I'm the kind of person who craves convenience. It's hard to know if the Florida resort appeals to my need for convenience.

If nothing else, Anaheim is convenient.

This thread is so positive in tone. Is this really Micechat?

I'm a DL person, but I'm making my first trip to WDW in 3 months. Everyone I know who loves DL keeps saying, "It's not the same..." Well, duh. I'm really interested to just see the differences, not so much with the view of which parks has a better this or that, just from the standpoint of seeing something cool done two different ways.
    Knowledge is power and knowing is half the battle. (LOVE LIVE CAPTAIN MIKEY!)

I don't believe the MK could stand on its own any longer. What makes Disneyworld the huge draw is the collection of all the parks. I visited WDW about a year before Animal Kingdom opened, so you tell me the year, and was impressed and dissapointed.

Dissapointed with:
    1. Their Fantasyland. 1-story circus tents housing the attractions. ISM's facade never looked so bad (although I hear the actual ride is wonderful). I much prefer our built up castle walls.
    2. Toon Town Fair. Just looked cheap. And concept wasn't that attractive. "Come see where the toons vacation." But at least it wasn't a copy, so kudos on originality.
    3. Space Mountain. 1-story, rickity, and a lot of left turns.

Impressed with:
    1. Thunder Mountain. I love the gysers and the fact so much of it borders on the ROA. Also love the flooded town scene.
    2. Haunted Mansion. While I'm not sure if I like their facade better, I liked their que. And I liked the extra scenes in the library.
    3. POTC. I guess I was young enough not to notice any length differences. I remember being blown away by the que. Rocky cliffs and hidden prison cells. I also remember liking their final scene in the treasury and the swordfighting pirates.
    4. Splash Mountain. Different style almost. DL's is more backwoods and WDW's is more civilized country with their bridges over the water and whatnot. I love both, but was blown away with the hopping Brer Rabbit and use of projections.
    5. Tommorowland. The rocks work there. As does the Nautilus sitting out in the water by the enterance. One reason I loved it so much was Alien Ecnounter. But that ride is gone forever.

I love both parks. Disneyland is much more immersive and has tons of top notch rides. WDW is more spread out and has fewer attractions, but the newest technology in their versions. (I mean as in creating effects, not the actual machinery). One thing I also noticed at WDW, due to the spacing of attractions, there were no lines when I went in August.

• Rock Star Minion

The monorail does not go to the Animal Kingdom.....I've been told.

And I have to do the safari. That's a big part of it for me....maybe even stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge......

.....And I won't under any circumstances, take their shuttle/bus. Never never never.

That's a non-negotiable: No shuttle/bus ever!

It's either monorail and/or drive, for me. Nothing else.

Bottom Line: I'm the kind of person who craves convenience. It's hard to know if the Florida resort appeals to my need for convenience.

If nothing else, Anaheim is convenient.
    True, the monorail doesn't go to MGM or AK.
    What is your concern about the shuttle buses? I swear by them, and since I've been three times (to zero, if I'm not mistaken), I've found them to be quite convenient. Just so's you know, this isn't PrimeTime Shuttle, where a van goes from one hotel to the next, the driver hoping that he can maximize the number of passengers. It is a bus-sized bus, and it takes you from your hotel to the one theme park that it is slated to go to. Non-stop. Free. Runs late into the evening (should you go to DTD or whatever will become of PI).
    If it's being next to complete strangers that bugs you, well, I don't think I can help you there. The buses can be quite crowded, SRO at times. But there's A/C. Sometimes it can be fun meeting people on the bus. Most of them are smiling, after all.
    You can rent a car, but that would require learning how to get everywhere. I find it convenient not to have to know how to get anywhere and not to have to drive everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast