Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Sun Wheel Question

Hi everyone,

As the title of this thread suggests, I have a question about the Sun Wheel. I'm not a big fan of ferris wheels or heights, but for a number of reasons I really want to give the Sun Wheel a try.

What I want to know is, how stationary are the red gondolas? There's no way I'm riding on the swinging ones (I know the stationary ones go higher, but I'd rather go higher than swing all around). Obviously there has to be *some* movement or they'd end up upside-down at the top. But do they move a lot or is it very slight, or maybe in between?

Thanks!

• Say no to Assimilation

Re: Sun Wheel Question

Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion42
    Hi everyone,

As the title of this thread suggests, I have a question about the Sun Wheel. I'm not a big fan of ferris wheels or heights, but for a number of reasons I really want to give the Sun Wheel a try.

What I want to know is, how stationary are the red gondolas? There's no way I'm riding on the swinging ones (I know the stationary ones go higher, but I'd rather go higher than swing all around). Obviously there has to be *some* movement or they'd end up upside-down at the top. But do they move a lot or is it very slight, or maybe in between?

Thanks!
    It's very slight movement. Also be prepared to stop at the top. Depending on when you load, you could be stopped up there while they are unloading/reloading. It's not a long stop but if there is a breeze, you will feel the car move a little. Hope this helps.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• no flash photography...

I ahve never been in the red ones, but my parents ride in them and love them. My parents hate all roller coasters and the swinging ones....so they must not move that much..

• Neep meep beep

I have a very small baby, so we only go on the non-swinging gondolas. But they do pivot and move back and forth.

The scariest part of that particular ride is during about the 90 and 180 degree of the circle, when suddenly the swinging gondolas tip and appear to come straight at your cab. That always elicits screams, as it appears that the cabs are coming loose, and the track heads right for you.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

i've never seen the moving ones in action, any videos? how does it feel?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Disney Geekstrordinaire

The moving ones are fun ...and scary as hell. You feel like you're flying off the side of the ferris wheel. That part is the scary part, but of course I still get people to ride it with me. My roommate (and pass-buddy) refuses to go on it so I always coerce others. The scariest part of the Sun Wheel for me is waiting in line in the part of the line that is surrounded by water held back by the cement wall. I am afraid of drowning more than the wheel itself. LOL
    Go make a life, not a living.

I generally like traditional Ferris Wheels, but boy did I hate this one! Only went on it once when DCA first opened and friends and I went on the gondala/swinging cars. Big mistake! I actually got a bit queazy up there and couldn't wait to get off. I'll never ride on those again.

In all fairness, though, I'm overdue to give the regular seats a try. I love heights and the view is probably spectacular up there.

If you have a fear of heights, then I wouldn't advise the Sunwheel at all.

It seems to me a fear of heights is a fear of heights, whether moving or not.

I've been up there in high winds and rain (December 2004).

I've actually had a bit of a picnic up there.

The first time I ever rode a non-swinging car, I thought they were just going to leave me up there and forget about me!

I love it because of the expansive panorama. You can see the ocean, as well as a lot of other sites. It's probably the best vantage point in the whole resort. Maliboomer gets a nice view, but not as extended in terms of time. And with Maliboomer you are restricted, in terms of good views, depending on what side you are on.

Think Maliboomer and Supreme Scream ....but without the adrenaline rush. You are up as high as that, although I think Sunwheel is even higher than those.

It's fun at night too.

But with a fear of heights, that's just not the ride to be going on...I would say.

The non-swinging cars still sway a bit if there's a breeze....

• love my friends

very very slight movement (I shoiuld know this ebcause I clean them every night) I would never go on the moving ones either

Friends for life

• For You!

I absolutely love the swinging cars as well!! It is a really cool feeling - last trip, I noticed that they now have installed air sickness bags in the swinging cars - I had to laugh.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

The question is: What is your tolerance for extreme tedium?

I might be wrong but haven't three guests died on the Sun Wheel ride this year alone? Bring sunscreen. I read someplace that the heat gets so intense near the top of the ride (closest to our sun) that guests have nearly caught fire! Many riders are advised to drop and roll as they exit the ride. Apparently, the ozone layer is the only thing protecting you from disaster!

My recommendation stay out of DCA totally! Too dangerous! Hot! Burn! Run!
    Tref ...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am the world's biggest "Chicken." However, I loved the stationary cars on the Sun Wheel. I rode the ride twice last year on my trip to Disneyland. Once during the afternoon, and then the other time, I timed my ride, so that I would be on it while the fireworks were going off at Disneyland. The view was wonderful. The movement was smooth, in my opinion. For me, the ride is thrilling. I am looking forward to riding it again in August.

• Neep meep beep

"The words largest chicken coop" is what the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland calls it...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Unofficial Guide - Consider the source.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

You know they have to have some rides for the timid among us. For you brave souls, you have your Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Matterhorn Bobsleds, and California Screamin. The bravest thing that I do is Splash Mountain, and Star Tours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast