Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue bayou question

are you aloud to get just dessert or do you have to get a meal? those desserts look amazing

disneyland with band november 2005

"Look!(shoots monkey)An undead monkey!" -jack sparrow

• Dumptruck of Information

Re: blue bayou question

You are allowed to order whatever you feel like having on the menu. If you want just dessert, then by all means. But most of all, have fun while you are there and enjoy the meal (if you decide to eat there), no matter what the cost turns out to be.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Enjoy your meal...Whatever it consists of!

You'll have a GREAT experience, either way.

the blue bayou is a come dresses as you are place, but i dont recommend that place anymore food is not made fresh, portions are small for the price, does not taste good,food is cold when it get to table, service is poor. DONT GO THERE! It was good at one time. go to story tellers cafe at GC or to hooks point at the DLH good luck
    disneytiger

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by disneytiger
    the blue bayou is a come dresses as you are place, but i dont recommend that place anymore food is not made fresh, portions are small for the price, does not taste good,food is cold when it get to table, service is poor. DONT GO THERE! It was good at one time. go to story tellers cafe at GC or to hooks point at the DLH good luck
    disneytiger
    Sounds like you were just there and had a bad experience? I am so disappointed to hear this! I was really looking forward to going back as I haven't been in a few years. The food, at that time, considering what it cost wasn't great. It was fine, but not worth the money. However, the service was really nice and the view of my favorite ride in the world made it worth every penny.

Factoring in how I feel about the ride, I will still go back. No doubt about it. I will hope for good service, but not count on getting good food. The view, fortunately, is still awesome!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I didn't have any desserts--I'm not much of a sweets eater--but I was there on the 51st weekend for lunch and was not impressed. First was the 1:30 "reservation" where we weren't seated until almost 2:30. We were initially herded into a foyer full of hot, tired, hungry people without adequate seating--a lot of people just sat on the floor and most had been waiting close to an hour. The CM's were very polite, and somehow managed to keep smiling but, trust me, they were working in a very hostile environment.

Once we were finally seated, we were fortunate enough to get a table overlooking the bayou--plus points there--but there was really not a lot to recommend after that. With entree prices ranging from $25 - $30, the food quality just wasn't there. The salad was a "Cajun-inspired wedge salad" that was little more than a chunk of iceberg lettuce with vinaigrette. Romaine lettuce or field greens would've been a much better choice. The only flavor came from some small chunks of sausage and bleu cheese mixed in the salad.

I ordered the Royal Street Seafood Jambalaya. Flavorful, but a little dry--terribly mass-produced. Linda (also known as dahlia) had the Port Royal Mahi Mahi--good, but not great. I can think of Cajun dishes I've had at Mimi's Cafe that were much better, and at half the price. Yes, I know you're paying more for the atmosphere and privilege of dining in a full service Disneyland restaurant, but you also come in with higher expectations.

There's no denying the view and ambiance at the Blue Bayou is spectacular. Nothing beats having a meal while Pirate boats glide past on the moonlit bayou. But it's just window dressing. All you get with that view (after a ridiculously long wait) is expensive, unimpressive, mass-produced Disneyland food.

One final gripe: I know Disneyland's policy on alcoholic beverages (Club 33 notwithstanding), but would it kill them to have a short wine and beer list at the Blue Bayou? The heavier entrees on the menu (which is exactly the same for lunch or dinner--ok, that's another gripe) scream out for something stronger than soda and iced tea. I'm not saying put in a bar, just make wine or beer available with your entree.

I was very disappointed in the Blue Bayou, a restaurant I loved many years ago. Until they make improvements to the menu quality, I won't be back.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim
    I was very disappointed in the Blue Bayou, a restaurant I loved many years ago. Until they make improvements to the menu quality, I won't be back.
    *sniff sniff*

You guys are killing me! I am so sad to hear this! But thanks for the heads up, just the same.

I agree about the beer and wine.

If you don't mind the wait. You could go for dessert, coffee and the wonderful atmosphere? The atmosphere is fabulous even if the food is average. Live your dream!

PS) Try to make a reservation ahead of time (714) 781-DINE and ask for the earliest lunch reservation time slot. Hopefully you won't have to wait so long for a table.

• The Marvel Jedi

Whittier, California (just a half-hour from Disneyland)

On a rare trip to DL with my dad a few months ago he decided we should eat there. (He likes the more extravegant things in life.) It was terrible. I was shocked, I had never been there before, and now I know why God never willed it.
    Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Oh oh and don't think about ordering off of the kids menu (we did that once before the refurb) .... They'll charge you for the adult chickenmeal ($20 or something in that range) if get kid's nuggets... Lame-o!!!

I say go for dessert! I would make reservations even though it might not help.... You might even get free rolls (?) with your dessert! They rock.:0)

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

I'm sorry to say that I have to agree with those that give the new Bayou a negative review. We ate there on the 17th and it did not compare to what it used to be before the "upgrade". I ordered the prime rib and while it tasted good I received a much smaller slice than what they used to give. The sauteed spinach that I had was excellent but apparently they forgot to cook my wife's spinach as it was served raw. The potatoes, though were excellent. The puny salad though is another story, a teeny tiny piece of lettuce on top of (and about the same size as) a slice of tomato. The waiter we started off with was good but part way through lunch he said he was taking his lunch break and another person would finish serving us. The replacement waitress was terrible. My wife and I watched as she was serving us and the other tables around and it was fascinating. Almost every drink she served, she spilled, she was carrying them with the bottom of the glass in her palm and liquid was just pouring through her fingers. She put down plates of food partly on top of other plates leaving them tilted at a dangerous angle. And, it took about 15 minutes to get the dessert I ordered. I will not be hurrying back any time soon. For the price I can go to Napa, the Vinyard Room or a decent place in DTD.
    Mike

• CM for 4 years!

Come eat at Cafe Orleans instead!
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

If you do go and only get dessert, I recommend that Pirate Boat thing. It was positively sinful!! Mmm, so good.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Add me to the group that was sorely disappointed. I was very underwhelmed with the "new blue bayou"

BUT the Creme Brulee Trio was absolutely spectacular, if you do go just for desserts defintely check that out!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Come eat at Cafe Orleans instead!
    Melmel - do you work at Cafe Orleans now instead of Blue Bayou? I do love the food at Cafe Orleans...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast