Disneyland Site and Quicktime Videos

I am probably the only viewer with a mac. I noticed that the quicktime videos of various DLR attractions are not available on the Disneyland website when viewed with a Macintosh. If I browse it with my dell laptop computer, I can view quicktime videos of many DLR attractions such as Matterhorn and Splash mountain.

It surprises me to find out disney would do this, especially since the videos seem to be in quicktime format!

Anybody else notice this?

• Collision speed....FULL!

Re: Disneyland Site and Quicktime Videos

You are not alone, I use a Mac OS 9 and I also have the same problem.

• Shubisha

Yeah a few years ago Disneyland kept redoing their site and they just made it worse and worse for Macs. For a long time it would inform me I didn't have flash or quicktime installed and i'm like hi.... i'm on a mac.. why would i not have quicktime installed. A lot of sites use a certain javascript check that isn't standardized and they really need to just allow people who want to view the site anyways despite their warnings to view it.

• Super Old Guy

Have you downloaded the latest and greatest quicktime codec? I'm not a Mac-head, so I don't know if you're even supposed to upgrade your software. But that's neccessary on the PC side all the time.

Yes - I noticed that it worked if I browsed using netscape (which really does a nice job of rendering pages!) but lately, netscape does not work!

Really amazing since Steve Jobs is on the board now!

Smile Re: Disneyland Site and Quicktime Videos

Disney truly has some of the most user-unfriendliest websites imaginable. They should hire some of Jobs' people to give them a makeover.
    Last edited by woxel1; 07-19-2006 at 06:48 PM.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Have you downloaded the latest and greatest quicktime codec? I'm not a Mac-head, so I don't know if you're even supposed to upgrade your software. But that's neccessary on the PC side all the time.
    It was necessary for everyone on a PC because the PCs that came with Quicktime had Quicktime 6, which had not updated since May 2004 and didn't have an auto-update feature. On Macs, quicktime is part of the umbrella Software Update program that runs every now and then. (So yes, I do have the latest greatest quicktime codec )

• Banned User

I am an ex graphic designer who was once told that graphic
    design could only be done on a mac...

They lied...

This is Disney's way of saying, "macs suck. And we're buying
    Bill Gates' frozen head!"

• Minion

I have the same issues from OS 9, but everything works fine on the OS X. You do need to haave the latest Quicktime.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    Yeah a few years ago Disneyland kept redoing their site and they just made it worse and worse for Macs. For a long time it would inform me I didn't have flash or quicktime installed and i'm like hi.... i'm on a mac.. why would i not have quicktime installed. A lot of sites use a certain javascript check that isn't standardized and they really need to just allow people who want to view the site anyways despite their warnings to view it.
    I think you are correct. They have some client-side script that does not return correct results for some browsers - so for such browsers they assume you do not have quicktime and provide a still photo.

We are talking about the attraction pages for DCA and DL. Some of the attractions have quicktime movies of the ride that my daughter likes to watch.

If you are getting a "Q" with a question mark in place of the picture, it means that the server thinks you have quicktime and the server provided the quicktime file but your browser could not deal with it. You probably need to get a revised version of quicktime.

If you have quicktime pro (the $30 upgrade that Apple offers) you can save the videos to your machine and you can view them at full screen.

Wink Quicktime Videos available with Mac and Internet Explorer

If I use the MICROSOFT Internet Explorer Browser, the videos appear on the attraction pages! The IE browser for OSX is still available through the microsoft site. I provide this link for convenience.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx

I discovered this by trying it.

I will skip the editorial on this.

• Know More Than You Should

This is Disney's way of saying, "macs suck. And we're buying
    Bill Gates' frozen head!"
    I have one word for you. Okay, it's not a word. It's a picture I took at Disneyland last year, at the 20th Century Music Shop: