• Neep meep beep

10 years ago... 1996 Annual Passholder Event

The following is a review, from someone who attended the 1996 Annual Passholder night (one of two). This sounded great -- I wonder why they stopped having nights for Annual Passholders...

The following report is from a friend of mine, who was there last night:

The first of the two Annual Passholders' Parties 1996 went off very well
    tonight. The event went from 8pm to 1am.

The artwork for the event is Sorcerer Mickey splashing a very colorful wash
    of pixie dust, this was on a white t-shirt, sweatshirt, the back of a Levi
    jacket, non-limited edition watch, button (sold out fast), baseball hat. For
    each $50 of merchandise sold, the buyer received a special Mickey plush.
    There were 2 very limited edition (25 each) watches for about $200 each at the Watch Shop, they sold out very quickly.

Each attendee receives 2 entry forms for the prize drawings. The forms need to be filled out and dropped into the appropriate prize box, located
    throughout the Park. Attendees have to choose which 2 prizes they want to try for, then put the ticket(s) in the boxes before 10:30 pm. Prizes are
    announced at 11:30 pm, just before the Fireworks demonstration on the Big River. Some of the prizes are a Visit to Walt's Office, Visit to Walt's Apartment, Indiana Jones embroidered leather jacket, lithographs, Lunch with the Disneyland Ambassador and more.

There was special food at many locations: Blue Bayou had inexpensive
    mini-samples of various delicacies and desserts. Sweet-suger popcorn as is served in EuroDisneyland was being made at popcorn wagons near Matterhorn and Mark Twain (and served in real EuroDisneyland cups!) Plaza Gardens had beef ribs and malts with a 1955 theme: rollerskate waitresses dancing with Goofy to tunes spun by a leather-jacketed DJ playing '50s tunes. A Candy Sculptor in front of the Sword in the Stone made exotic lollypops.

At Main Street Opera House (Lincoln Theatre) several film shorts were being shown continuously: The First 25 Years of Disneyland (VERY good!), Mickey in Arabia, Runaway Brain.

Space Mountain was running with the lights on. Tomorrowland Terrace had a game/trivia contest. Toy Story Hamm's show and Army Men room were open.

Magic Eye Theatre was host to an introduction to the Disneyland Entertainment Creative Process (What it takes to create "Mickey's Halloween Treat" or "Fantasmic".) There were several show times throughout the night.

Along Small World Mall were set-ups of artwork from many previous Videopolis stage shows. There were also a good number of characters there, including

Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, and a few from Dick Tracy.

At the Small World Gates, where the parades step off from, attendees were lead backstage past the Train/Monorail Roundhouse and Landscaping
    (topiaries!) to view the Eat Ticket (cafeteria) and the first floor atrium of the Team Disney Building (the yellow side opposite the freeway).

Snow White was open with the lights on for walking through. Same for
    Pinocchio, but with only the blacklights, so you got to see both types of
    lighting effects.

In front of the Castle 2 Imagineers had samples of the new forecourt compass points and rockwork, and would answer questions about show enhancements.

Golden Horseshoe had Disneyland Chefs talking about special Disneyland menu items, there were several show times.

Artists and Trivia Experts Stacia Martin and Kevin Kidney were in front of
    Pieces of Eight drawing characters by request. The line was vcry long for
    this. At the Disney Gallery, Artist Steve Rebello, author of "Art of
    Pocahontas" was signing books. There was facepainting in front of Haunted Mansion. At Country Bear Jamboree, attendees could walk backstage and look at the bears up close.

In the Search for Simba game on the Jungle Cruise, attendees are issued
    flashlights and must call out each time they find a hidden Simba plush
    secreted throughout the ride.

The highlight of the night was the Fantasmic Pyro Demonstration on the River at 11:30pm. A fabulous low fireworks display to the tune of the summer big fireworks show.

Notice that this listing is in a sort of order, going counter clockwise around the Park, this seemed to be the best way to go, since it ended up at
    the end of the night near the fireworks display at the River's Edge.

Except those closed for refurbishement (Splash and Matterhorn) most all the other attractions were open as usual.

It was a lot of fun and everyone around seemed to really enjoy the evening.

-Brian--

Brian Nunes * [email protected] * +1 818 246 2499
    FDC Talkaround Announcer / FDC Director of Media Relations, Parades

• Just this guy......

Re: 10 years ago... 1996 Annual Passholder Event

I was there also and it was a great event. I really miss them doing these things. They were great fun.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Omg. It sounds like such a good time. I was 9 at the time with no AP, so I didn't have the opportunity to go... Such a shame they don't have these events running anymore

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Light Magic happened. And then the AP events went down the toilet, replaced by special merchandise events.

• FastPass n00b

Plus there are something like 600,000 AP holders now and they would simply swamp the park if so much as 1/10th of them showed up.

• For old time sake

This event was so much fun!!!! Worth the extra $20 I spent on top of my AP price!!!!! Riding SM with the lights on was SCARY!!!! I wish they wold do this again!!!!!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Functional & Decorative

I remember hearing about this. I didn't have an AP at the time. I've always wanted to ride DL's SM with the lights on. Then my life will be complete.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Plus there are something like 600,000 AP holders now and they would simply swamp the park if so much as 1/10th of them showed up.
    No, the place was not swampped, you had to buy a ticket.
    But it was a great event. I wish that they would do it again.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn
    I remember hearing about this. I didn't have an AP at the time. I've always wanted to ride DL's SM with the lights on. Then my life will be complete.
    I've done it (cast member party). It's amazing how slow it goes.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    No, the place was not swampped, you had to buy a ticket.
    But it was a great event. I wish that they would do it again.
    There weren't 600,000 AP holders back then.
    They'd probably have to hold about eight to ten of these, at, say, $30 a pop, holding attendance to about 30,000, after hours, off-season, during the week.
    Good idea for additional gate revenue, the one thing that is holding back the greenlighting of new E-ticket attractions. I think it would be a great idea to hold these for new attractions before they open to the general public, so that fewer APer's clog the queue during regular business hours, leaving the paying guest with an experience worth what he paid.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I was 16 at the time and had an AP. I didn't appreciate Disneyland the way that I do now so I didn't go. My parents went and loved it. They would go to another of these if they had the oppurtunity and I know that I would too.