Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Who misses the old PotC island? (Little idea for Pirates also)

Ok, well I went on Pirates on Saturday - took a visit with the cousins.

Anyways, the ride itself was OK, but I really disliked the island. The bird looks a bit weird being on the shovel and the map actually isn't all that great.

I just felt the old island just was more visually appealing. And plus, the PotC map is gone as well - and that made the island so neat.

And for my little idea on Pirates....

Ok, well I am sorry, but the story of Jack and and Barbossa was done terribly. And I'm being honest - the story has no flowing theme whatsoever now....but I'm tired and don't want to get into that so just ignore me

ok, so I was thinking, why don't they bring back Black Beard, get rid of the Johnny's, but create a new one for the "yo ho" scene. So, in other words, Sparrow was just being a pirate and enjoying the town before the movies. And when you do this, Jack doesn't screw up the storyline at all, but you get Johnny as well.

I think this would be a much better solution that the "confusing" situation they have now.

But that's just my idea.

Anywho, how many of you miss the old island a bit?

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Re: Who misses the old PotC island? (Little idea for Pirates also)

Not me...the effect was pretty, but it seemed kind of...i dunno, out of place for a ride about pirates. Maybe it'd be better if, i dunno, they made the fiber optics look like glowing embers instead of pixie dust? xP

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    ...I'm being honest - the story has no flowing theme whatsoever now....but I'm tired and don't want to get into that so just ignore me ...
    You got it!
    Last edited by RobotMirror; 07-21-2006 at 09:23 AM.

• Banned User

[quote=Frogberto]
    Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    ...I'm being honest - the story has no flowing theme whatsoever now....but I'm tired and don't want to get into that so just ignore me ...quote]

You got it!
    I'll do it later, Bob.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    You got it!
    LMAO!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Frogberto again.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

the island looks great, or do you miss the water damaged ceiling that was above it before? the map is the map to the treasure, so it makes more sense than the fiber optic effect that was there, like GuardianMushu stated, if it were done to look like fire burning through I would miss it, but it just never felt right for me.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Santa Barbara, CA

The fiberoptic map looked like it came from "Spencer Gifts". I liked the original island before anyone did anything to it. It was just a flag and a chest.
    all the birds and stuff make it seem like they are trying to hard. If the Parrot looked at each boat and said something to the poor guests on display looking bored, that would be one thing, but it isn't that good at all.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

I haven't decided on the island as a whole yet, but I do really like the way the island is open so you can see into the vast darkness behind it. Seems like a really cool transition and makes the whole ride feel more open since you get that feeling before even boarding.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I'm not crazy about the new island either. Its a little... blah. And for some reason the proportion of the parrot seems way out of whack with the rest of the stuff on the island, like it's super sized or something.

That being said, I didn't like the old island either. The fiber optics in the map were straight out of 1984.

I think they're on the right track with the island now, just shrink the bird a little, and add something with more intreague. Maybe a more legible map, some half-drunk rum bottles, or something. Its just too plain now, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

i was thinking about images projected onto the map...something like in the Tarzan Treehouse...i dunno. Thay way the map changes into the pirates logo and than the map bleeds through with that ink obsorbtion effect. Maybe?

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Thumbs up Re: Who misses the old PotC island? (Little idea for Pirates also)

I'm going to agree with you here, more so about bringing back Black Beard though.

It isn't "Pirates of the Caribbean" any more it's "Jack Sparrow and the Pirates if the Caribbean."

Sadly, imagineering means tying things into movies these days.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    I'm not crazy about the new island either. Its a little... blah. And for some reason the proportion of the parrot seems way out of whack with the rest of the stuff on the island, like it's super sized or something.

That being said, I didn't like the old island either. The fiber optics in the map were straight out of 1984.

I think they're on the right track with the island now, just shrink the bird a little, and add something with more intreague. Maybe a more legible map, some half-drunk rum bottles, or something. Its just too plain now, IMO.
    Omg, you nailed my thought exactly!

I think the parrot was the thing that was bothering me the most.

Lol, maybe I am in the minority, but for some reason, I really miss that map.

However, maybe they could do something even cooler with a PotC logo on the island.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    LMAO!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Frogberto again.
    No reason why, but why you must you post that? We don't need to know - geez.

• Inhospitable about happy

The fiberoptics sign had a "high tech" sheen that was always very much out of place, like seeing one of the pirates with a cell phone. So I say, good riddance. It looks much better now.

• If We Can Dream It...

While I haven't physically seen the new island I would say the old one was "cooler" while the new one is much more thought out and themed. Like everyone else has said it seemed like you were walking past the finally for SSE instead of walking past a little island in a New Orleans bayou. Oh well, it could of been done worse. They could of just put some sand down on the ground, some mesh covering the back and one of those tacky fly-around birds you'll see in any toy store. Now that would have been a bit disappointing!

A single in the "yo-ho" scene would of been okay but, it would never have drawn the same crowds that this new version is. Besides the change is helping Disneyland and WDW keep being "ever changing". At least they did something some-what major for this summer. They could of been even cheesier and done nothing at all! But your opinion is valued and it is interesting to see the other side of things, even if I don't agree with it!
    - Horizonsfan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast