Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,599

    Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Since the Sailing Ship Columbia operates seasonally, I've always thought that it would be a nice idea to open the ship to guests during the slow periods of the year so that the attraction does not seem closed most of the time.

    Below Decks is intended to be an attraction in its own right, and allowing guests to come aboard when the ship is docked at Fowler's Harbor would permit guests to visit the ship without requiring much in the way of operating costs.

  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    433

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    The Columbia runs everyday in the Summer and in the off season only on the weekends. The only way to get to the columbia right now is really not that safe for guests and I dont see Disney shelling out the money to make a ramp for that.

  3. #3

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,599

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Quote Originally Posted by Karnever
    The Columbia runs everyday in the Summer and in the off season only on the weekends. The only way to get to the columbia right now is really not that safe for guests and I dont see Disney shelling out the money to make a ramp for that.
    A gangplank really wouldn't cost very much. Fowler's Harbor could permit fairly easy access to the top deck of the Columbia. A one-time expenditure of a meager amount of capital in this area would permit the opening of an attraction that requires very little operating costs, expands capacity, and enhances guest satisfaction.

    There is even a possibility of allowing guests to eat aboard the Columbia since the attraction would sit immediately adjacent to the dining area of the Harbour Galley.

  4. #4

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,599

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Perhaps the Entertainment Department would like to use the ship for some sort of show or character interaction during the daytime. There are several possibilities for making greater use of the Columbia.

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Posts
    3,663

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Nice idea, and a gangplank from the dining area would line up with the main deck nicely, allow wheelchairs to get onto the Columbia for a look-around. And I can see where you would find a bunch of "Yes!" votes for that one. Right, CL? :

    But there's a huge problem with it. There is WAY too much that can be messed with on the ship - You would have kids climbing up into the rigging, teenagers carving their names into any exposed wood, and we won't go anywhere near what could happen below decks without supervision...

    There would need to be at least one CM charged with keeping an eye on the ship at all times, you would need a RideOp or Security person assigned - which would require 2 or 3 people to cover the whole day, and they would have to borrow other CM's to cover breaks and lunches. You would be shocked what can happen in 15 minutes.

    They could assign a Busser to stay in the area full time, but I don't think Bussing would want the additional reponsibility of the security concerns.

    "PragmaticIdealist" has a point, Entertainment could use it - it would be perfect for 'Pirates Meet & Greet' events this summer. But they would still need to secure it whenever the gangplank is out.

    --<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

  6. #6

    • Santa Barbara, CA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Since the Sailing Ship Columbia operates seasonally, I've always thought that it would be a nice idea to open the ship to guests during the slow periods of the year so that the attraction does not seem closed most of the time.

    Below Decks is intended to be an attraction in its own right, and allowing guests to come aboard when the ship is docked at Fowler's Harbor would permit guests to visit the ship without requiring much in the way of operating costs.
    They used to do that years ago (like the early 60s) as a "B" ticket. As a kid I loved it. It's probably a labor issue.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

    [FONT=Arial Narrow]

  7. #7

    • Disneyland Freak
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,133

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Yeah, it's a nice idea but it runs seasonally to save money. Having it open while docked would not save money. It is a great idea, though.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

    I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

    With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

    Create your own Virtual pet today!

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SoCal, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    They used to do that years ago (like the early 60s) as a "B" ticket. As a kid I loved it. It's probably a labor issue.
    Yep. The Columbia was still open to Guests even when docked at Fowler's Harbor from the Columbia's introduction in 1958 right up into the late 80's, I believe.

    In later years, it didn't even require a "B Ticket" to board her while she was static. It was just a free "walk-on."

    I never heard of any vandalism and don't even recall if any Cast Members where there watching any visitors. Don't recall a whole lot of traffic, but it was nice to get away from the crowds and explore her above and below decks at your leisure.

  9. #9

    • All you need is LOVE
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dland USA
    Posts
    9,141

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Nice idea, and a gangplank from the dining area would line up with the main deck nicely, allow wheelchairs to get onto the Columbia for a look-around. And I can see where you would find a bunch of "Yes!" votes for that one. Right, CL? :

    -<< Bruce >>--
    Yes I wish I could go on the ship


  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Posts
    3,663

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    Yep. The Columbia was still open to Guests even when docked at Fowler's Harbor from the Columbia's introduction in 1958 right up into the late 80's, I believe.

    In later years, it didn't even require a "B Ticket" to board her while she was static. It was just a free "walk-on."

    I never heard of any vandalism and don't even recall if any Cast Members where there watching any visitors. Don't recall a whole lot of traffic, but it was nice to get away from the crowds and explore her above and below decks at your leisure.
    But that was WHY they required a ticket at first - to pay for the CM keeping an eye on the boat. To act as a guide, keep teens out of the rigging, and from messing with the helm controls. But back then, one person would be enough - if they took a fifteen minute break the ship would be fine when they got back.

    Forty odd years ago raw destructive vandalism wasn't a problem, but it certainly is now. People have found that there are little or no consequences for their actions, even if they get caught. All it takes to close an attraction is for someone to mess it up - Heck, one "little darling" (*) with a pen-knife or carbide glass etcher could have been the final straw why the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough was closed...

    --<< Bruce >>--

    (*- When you catch the vandal and confront the parents, the first response is inevitably "My little darling would never do anything like that!" Denial is not a river in Egypt... )
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Yep, Its all about preservation I bet.
    And rightly so. Didn't you wince at Lindsay and her cohorts cavorting all over the ship?
    I wonder if there are any burn holes on this national treasure?
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

  12. #12

    • Disneyland Freak
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,133

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Alleged.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

    I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

    With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

    Create your own Virtual pet today!

  13. #13

    • Santa Barbara, CA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Heck, one "little darling" (*) with a pen-knife or carbide glass etcher could have been the final straw why the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough was closed...
    Pen knives was close...I think it was several "little darlings" with box cutters on Airplanes that made the Castle into a terror target back on 911.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

    [FONT=Arial Narrow]

  14. #14

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,696

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    How about a dining cruise? Set up some chairs, tables, characters, buffet line, music as you cruise around the Rivers of America!

    Finally, park the ship a few yards from Fantasmic and enjoy the show....or even Remember fireworks....I am sooooo there!

    I would go to this special event!

  15. #15

    • Say no to Assimilation
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Where its hot hot hot!
    Posts
    918

    Re: Opening "Below Decks" on the Columbia When It's Docked at Fowler's Harbor

    Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
    How about a dining cruise? Set up some chairs, tables, characters, buffet line, music as you cruise around the Rivers of America!

    Finally, park the ship a few yards from Fantasmic and enjoy the show....or even Remember fireworks....I am sooooo there!

    I would go to this special event!
    Don't they use the ship in Fantasmic?
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fowler's Harbor Door
    By Nautilus in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 06:22 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 10:11 PM
  3. Replies: 123
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM
  4. "IASW" in 2008, Combo ride"POTC" and "Raging Spirits" shelved, "MSEP" postponed
    By PennysBayChronicle in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •