Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: Matt Ouimet's Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    matt has enough work just in refurbishing and reworking dca to last him about 10 years at least unfortunately I am not sure how much say so he has in his parks. I mean look at the subs for instance. Lassetter has made so many changes in the original desing that it's coming in over budget and the opening date has been pushed back. I hope that matt isn't just a figurehead but I am becomming more and more concerned that ne might be just the name on the door.
    John Lassetter is a rich billionaire who could probably write a check to buy Disneyland and it would be good. The day to day operations at Disneyland are run by Matt, and he does a great job. The lasting mark of his tenure at Disneyland will be: paint, a revamped Pirates ride, a refurbished Tiki Room and 3 refurbished monorail trains. The new philosophy of the park management is: if we spend lots of money on maintenance and up keep, the visitors will spend more money at the front gate and shops. Disneyland has brought in more money than anyone projected over the past year, all thanks to Matt. I doubt any manager at Disneyland will go back to the Pressler/Harriss way of doing things, you just don't make any money off a dumpy theme park. Oh by the way, Paul Pressler is who you have to thank for DCA, it was his idea do make it cheap and spend more money on a new hotel, than a new theme park.

Are we talking about Matt "Two-Coats" Ouimet?

•   
    • Rest In Peace, Old Friend

Blog Entries

...I guess I spoke too soon.

• They wanna know, HO!

He'll be known for the trash cans. For the paint. The sidewalks and fireworks.

He'll be known for not one big thing, but many small things that make Disneyland DISNEYLAND.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic
    Although, a lot of people refer to Indy as Eisner's mark.
    I'd agree too *hides*
    I'd like to leave a mark on Eisner.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Well, looks like Disneyland will still be in good hands since thr guy taking over is coming from Tokyo Disneyland.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

The guy is going to show up to Disneyland one day, hear a guest complain about crowds then start laughing his head off.

• Circle of Ancients

Was Matt REALLY that great??? I mean, can he SINGLE HANDEDLY be credited for the resurgance of Disneyland glory??? And IMO there is still ALOT of work to be done.

To be honest, I never understood why people praised him as much as they did. The restoration of Disneyland actually started under Cynthia Harris. And as much as Matt wanted Disneyland to be beautiful, it wouldn't have happened if those above him hadn't given the $$.

As for his mark, IMHO he wasn't there long enough to leave a mark. He did a good job while he was there but he did his JOB. I think it just looked like he went above and beyond because his predecessors (Pressler mostly) didn't do theirs. So when somebody came in and did what they were supposed to be doing it looked like he was going above and beyond.

Sure Disneyland 'looks' great (for now) but there are still TONS of problems with staffing, job turnover, CM moral, etc. So in that instance I don't think he did very well.

While I don't question that he did a good job, I don't think we will be seeing anything different with somebody else in charge.

As for Eisner's Mark ... Saving the company from bankruptcy, Resurgance of Disney Animation, Disney MGM, etc ... sure he crapped out in his last 7 to 8 years on the job, but Disney wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't for Eisner. Sure he had some help along the way, but he did do some good things and it just upsets me when people forget that.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Was Matt REALLY that great??? I mean, can he SINGLE HANDEDLY be credited for the resurgance of Disneyland glory??? And IMO there is still ALOT of work to be done.

To be honest, I never understood why people praised him as much as they did. The restoration of Disneyland actually started under Cynthia Harris. And as much as Matt wanted Disneyland to be beautiful, it wouldn't have happened if those above him hadn't given the $$.

As for his mark, IMHO he wasn't there long enough to leave a mark. He did a good job while he was there but he did his JOB. I think it just looked like he went above and beyond because his predecessors (Pressler mostly) didn't do theirs. So when somebody came in and did what they were supposed to be doing it looked like he was going above and beyond.

Sure Disneyland 'looks' great (for now) but there are still TONS of problems with staffing, job turnover, CM moral, etc. So in that instance I don't think he did very well.

While I don't question that he did a good job, I don't think we will be seeing anything different with somebody else in charge.

As for Eisner's Mark ... Saving the company from bankruptcy, Resurgance of Disney Animation, Disney MGM, etc ... sure he crapped out in his last 7 to 8 years on the job, but Disney wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't for Eisner. Sure he had some help along the way, but he did do some good things and it just upsets me when people forget that.
    Matt made things go along as planned - he guided the 50th Anniversary from Day 1 and also moved a lot of other projects along.

I just wish he would have stayed a bit longer...ahh well.

I was first mad at him for leaving, but now I wish him and his family the best of luck

He did a good job while he was there but he did his JOB.
    In America today, finding an executive that can even be bothered to do that is rare beyond words.
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

His mark would probably be a "Wet Paint" sign.

Not that thats a bad thing.

Michael Eisner admitted himself that he received much too much credit for the performance of the company in the late '80's. It's telling that when Frank Wells died, the company went to Hell. Or, perhaps, Eisner's heart attack deprived his brain of oxygen and left him completely incompetent. Whatever happened, ten years of failure in a twenty-year term is certainly enough to condemn the man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12