Vermont TOURISTS Trip Report: Day 2, July 22, 2006

[Preface: Friday --After a 500 mile drive from Grand Canyon Village to Anaheim via Interstate 40 and a bit of Route 66 through Kingman and Oatman, Arizona and some grueling traffic on I-15 just past Yorba Linda or so, the family (DW, DS age 5.5) and I pulled up to the Disneyland Hotel at around 6:30 PM, Maybe 7.]

Still running on empty from a long drive from the Grand Canyon, we slept in until nearly 7:30. Then jumped out of bed and into the showers o catch our 8:10 AM breakfast at the Carnation Cafe. After devouring Mickey Icons with fake syrup (we left the bottle of real Vermont Maple Syrup we always carry in the room, silly us), we rode up and down Main Street on horse trolley and Jitney, then onto the Disneyland Railroad to see dinosaurs. Well, we didn't make it, as darling wife mentioned to the kid something about weasels, and so we had to de-train at Toontown and ride Roger Rabbit, once, twice -- no FIVE times in a row.

Then, with much cajoling, we managed to convince the boy to ride the Matterhorn. He thought it was too fast and scary. Told him it was no faster than his Austrian Holzschlitteln or his skis. He believed us (well, it was true), and so it was he took his first bobsled ride. And he liked it, too.

But it cost us a long, hot wait for Alice in Wonderland and a shorter but just as toasty wait for Storybook Canal Boats, before we convinced him to get back on the train in Toontown and see the dinosaurs. He liked the dinosaurs, so we stayed on for another lap, but somewhere along the way he shifted gears and decided that Autopia in the sun would be a good idea, so it was off the train again at Tomorrowland. A mere 15 minute wait for cars proved him correct, and this brought us up to lunchtime.

A short Rocket Rodds break, back on the train, more dinosaurs, then he and Mom went back to the DLH while I went to check the Carnation Cafe for my missing Hotel Charge voucher. Sure enough, they had it: in the excitement of the morning, I neglected to sign my check, write in a tip, or take my card. By now the heat was such that I only wanted to walk as far as the monorail station (is that any closer than the Sierra Tower?) and ride back to air conditioning and a pool.

The Neverland Pool was bath water warm, crowded, and kinda milky from sunscreen, sweat, and pink pool drinks from the bar -- but still better than the now approaching 103 degrees F desert air. After a couple of Bahama Mamas, I no longer cared. We soaked until we wrinkled, and then dressed in our disgustingly Disney matching Mickey Tiki outfits for a wildly expensive meal at Napa Rose.

Yowza, what divine dining: John, our waiter took good care of us. And so did Executive Chef Andrew Sutton: we were seated at 5:30, and before the place was too busy, I took my boy up to check out the action in the open kitchen. We were warmly greeted by Andrew, who took the time out to talk a little to to the kid and shake his hand.

For dinner, I had Pheasant and dumplings, followed by bunny rabbit. Darling wife had bunny, too, and young 5 year old had the "kiddies" salmon -- plus copious portions of my appetizer and Mom's rabbit meat. For dessert, son and wife split some white cake thing, which I paid little attention to as I was thoroughly engrossed in my "Napa Wake up" espresso and Bailey's mousse thing. After dinner, William asked if he could thank Andrew for the wonderful roast bunny, so waiter John brought over a piece of paper and a pen for him to write (well, Mom actually) a thank you note. But then another waiter appeared, and said there was a brief break in the now busy kitchen action, so son got to hand deliver his note and thank the executive chef personally. Maybe it was just cast member politeness, but Andrew seemed truly appreciative of the young man's praise and interest in fine dining. It was a small but significant Disney Moment.

So, back to the parks, or rather, THE park. We shuffled into Disneyland again, and bee-lined towards Plaza Gardens for just a little bit more dancing with the Saturday Night Regulars. But we called it quits early, so we could retire to our 8th floor tower room in time to watch fireworks in our Jammies. Sadly, it was not to be -- the wacky weather brought unusually high winds into play, and it appeared that both the 9 PM Fantasmic and the 9:30 PM fireworks were cancelled.

So here I sit, eight floors up with both sliding glass doors open wide unto Downtown Disney, hot natural air before me mixing with artificial conditioned air from my back, watching the other tourons and locals mingle below. It's almost midnight, and we have a busy day of flying elephants and pirates to face in just another 8 hours or so. Goodnight from Disneyland...

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Vermont TOURISTS Trip Report: Day 2, July 22, 2006

Wow what a report thanks for sharing

Wow! You get to SoCal in the middle of the worst heat wave we've had here in at least a decade (perhaps three or four), and you kept your wits and your good nature about you. Congratulations! I only wish the weather could be more normal for you!

• Misses Disneyland

That is so sweet that your son got to deliver his note to the chef. I am glad for people like that chef. Hope you have a great rest of your hot trip lol. It's pretty bad in Cali right now.

Elsa's and Anna's
    Disneyland Dec 2014

• Drunken Disneyland Master

Thanks for the report! I am too traveling from Arizona and posted up on the 17th floor of the Universal City Hilton awaiting a day at the studios tomorrow while I work my way to the Magic Kingdom on Tuesday. (Speaking of artifical AC, I think the Hilton has a swamp cooler rather than the latter).
    And all these Southern Californians complaining about the 100 degree weather? HA! I'm from Arizona, we invented hot weather.

• Wish I was in WDW..

good trip report!

Day 3 coming soon?

-Nikki

• Minion

Thanks, that was a great trip report!
    Sounds like you are doing it up right!

We will get our second summer turn in 27 days!
    Although I can't imagine it being any hotter in socal right now than it is here! We are in fairfield CA and it was 110 here yesterday.
    I feel like we cheated the heat a little bit when we were there for three days in July though. The 5,6,and 7th were not really that hot, and not unbearably crowded either.
    We get a week this time, and everyones reports are getting me excited!
    Summer is my favorite time, even though the heat/and or crowds do drive us back to the hotel for the afternoon! But I get greedy for the hours, and no down attractions that summer brings to DL, and I love the park at night. Rambling...getting excited... Thanks again
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

My "clients" from Vermont also have a thing about syrup and carrying it around. It's way cool. I have two bottles and when we use it...it's sparingly.

Ummmm, bunny meat. Bugs at the Brothers Warner would be proud.

Wabbitt season is open!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Great report, Thanks!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Loved this report!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today