Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MILLIONS OF BURRITOS!

"Un-Disney as you can Get"?

This really has to do with Disney parks in general, but I decided to post it here. My local newspaper ran an article today concerning the restoration of Twister at Knobels. What was a little strange is that the article associates Disney with gimmicky rides that exist purely to be "bigger, taller, and faster." Here's a clipping of the paragraph in question:

While Disney is innovative, I don't think they're purely focused on record breaking rides... I pretty sure they don't own a single one. Gimmicky, flashy, record-breakers, I think, are what Six Flags, Cedar Point, etc are more focused on.

Thoughts, anyone?
    Don't believe everything you read, brother!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: "Un-Disney as you can Get"?

Let's see, the Matterhorn was the first modern tubular steel coaster.

And California Screamin' was at one point the longest launched coaster.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MILLIONS OF BURRITOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Let's see, the Matterhorn was the first modern tubular steel coaster.

And California Screamin' was at one point the longest launched coaster.
    Thank you for pointing those two out. However, Disney used tubular steel rails because it looked better, was more economical and made for a smoother ride, not necisarilly so they could say "Amazing! The World's First Steel Coaster at Disneyland! Come today." And California Screaming's record wasn't heavilly advertised by any means... From Disneyland's website:

• State-of-the-art steel roller coaster evokes the great thrills of wooden coasters from days gone by
    • Catapult from 0 to 55 in less than five seconds
    • Over a mile of track
    • 108-foot drop
    • State-of-the-art onboard music
    The website simply says "over a mile of track" instead of spitting out the record.

Let's take an example of a gimmicky ride: Top Thrill Dragster at CP. You get shot up and you go down, incredible. They much more than likely put that thing up just to break a few records and draw crowds short term. Sure, fun ride, but now three years later you can tell it was a waste of money.
    Last edited by GrizzlyFlats; 07-23-2006 at 07:38 AM.
    Don't believe everything you read, brother!

• Minion

It's a tag line gimmick, and pretty bold too!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: "Un-Disney as you can Get"?

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyFlats
    Thank you for pointing those two out. However, Disney used tubular steel rails because it looked better, was more economical and made for a smoother ride
    Well, it was more because wooden tracks can't be made into the shapes needed for the design of the ride, one of the imagineers realized that steel pipes could be bent that way, and voila!

Cheers.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyFlats
    Thank you for pointing those two out. However, Disney used tubular steel rails because it looked better, was more economical and made for a smoother ride, not necisarilly so they could say "Amazing! The World's First Steel Coaster at Disneyland! Come today."
    Aye. But it was still the first. Disney wouldn't advertise it because that's not the way they are. They care far more about theming, not the cheap thrills to try and draw an audience...they want an immersive experience.

• Why do you keep talking?

There are steel coasters older then Matterhorn. Matterhorn was simply the first to use tubular steel track.

I'm sure the writer just needed the biggest name of a company they could throw out there to get the article attention.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

If I remember right, Disney did advertise that Splash Mountain was the longest, tallest flume ride ever built. Anybody know or remember for sure?

• Silent Lucidity

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    ...They care far more about theming, not the cheap thrills to try and draw an audience...they want an immersive experience.
    We can thank Walt for that; "Thanks Walt!"

• Huh?

Space Mountain used to be a record-breaker for indoor coasters, didn't it?

Way back when it was first built and there weren't as many indoor coasters...

The only times I've actually seen them mention their record breakers are in water rides, back when Splash Mountain was the tallest and steepest, as well as the various rides at the water parks.
    -Tim

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: "Un-Disney as you can Get"?

They also made a point of noting when Summit Plummit was the tallest/fastest waterslide.

Cheers.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian
    If I remember right, Disney did advertise that Splash Mountain was the longest, tallest flume ride ever built. Anybody know or remember for sure?
    I'm pretty sure you are correct. I remember having a t-shirt that had the critters going down the flume with a remark about it being the biggest.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ
    I'm pretty sure you are correct. I remember having a t-shirt that had the critters going down the flume with a remark about it being the biggest.
    I had that shirt too! I bought it the summer Splash Mountain opened at Disneyland... 1989. WDW came out with a similar shirt for their version, which I bought as well.

Having been to Knoebels, I can tell you, it is very un-Disney like - no admission to get in (you just buy tickets for the rides), dogs and smokers walking all around, lots of very old rides (they've bought most of their rides from other parks), some areas with no sidewalk/pavement. It was a fun park that my family enjoyed, but didn't have the magic of Disneyland.

yeah disney may be innovative...but i think they try to get ahead of the time not for gimmicks but to keep on creating "magic"...disney definately has an ambience and atmosphere and image it likes to have and thats y they continue using new tech...i think ur right that six flags etc r the ones going for biggest fastest etc...though again that is to keep their intense and thrillseeker image...disney is more towards tech i think and six flags and similar parks are into records...just aguess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast