• Dreamer

Vintage video of Disneyland - 1967

Hey all,

I have some vintage Disneyland 8mm footage to share with you. It is from my parent's first visit to DL back in 1967. It is a bit grainy, but will take you through 6 minutes of memories/history. Hard to believe the footage is nearly 40 years old. Feel free to share comments on my blog.

http://web.mac.com/emspacedesign/iWe...Blog/Blog.html

Danielle

Re: Vintage video of Disneyland - 1967

Thanks for sharing! Love getting a chance to see those extinct rides and attractions again, particularly a ride-through on the Pack Mules!
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Santa Barbara, CA

Thanks for the great video. I guess what i take away is that back then EVERYTHING was in motion. Main street was bustling with all manner of vehicles on the street, Tomorrowland was the same way with the skyway and peoplemover. Even Frontierland had the mules and the texture of all the busy river traffic, real Indians. That level of implied energy is gone now, like a moive without it's extras, the scenes arent as compelling.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    Love getting a chance to see those extinct rides and attractions again, particularly a ride-through on the Pack Mules!
    I was thinking the same thing. It's pretty rare to see home movie footage taken while actually on the Pack Mules.

There were two previous major milestones in Disneyland's life, IMHO...her opening in 1955 (of course ), and the major expansion of 1959. But I think Summer of 1967 was the apex of Disneyland's life. It was just overflowing with great attractions, shows, and great often top-name entertainment. It was just at the hight and tail-end of what was often called the optimistic Eisenhower area.

Pirates and most all of Tomorrowland were brand spanking new. The Park had just gotten many new high-tech attractions...some from New York World's Fair. Man was headed to the moon. You really did get the feeling there was a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow just around the corner. I suppose it's hard to convey the feeling of this period to those who did not experience it. It was just so great!

Not to mention that the Summer of 1967 is when Club 33 first opened.

The Summer of 1967 was also a watershed moment in the history of Walt Disney Productions (as the company was called back then). There was a lot of anxiety and fear over how things would go without Walt (who had just passed away 6 months earlier). The phenomenal success of Disneyland's business in the Summer of 1967 put most of those fears to rest...and helped bring Project Florida out of the "hold" position it had been placed in immediately after Walt died.

All eyes were on Disneyland that crucial Summer...especially Wall Street's and the banks. And she passed her test with flying colors!

Great video! Thanks for posting the link!

• Animatronic

I couldn't help but notice The Hunchback of Notre Dame (the silent version) is playing at the Mainstreet Cinema. Oh for the days each section of Disneyland seemed real and not just a plush toy store! The motion, the changing entertainment, the attractions which added to the theme of the land. It was all good... until 1972 when Bear Country opened and made it seem ok to go off-theme.

• My laughing place

Great footage...It was great seeing the attactions that are no longer in the park..especially the indian village. I hope someday they will bring back the skyway..it really adds energy to the park.
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

What a totally enjoyable movie! And that blonde chickie-babe with the short black skirt? Is that your mom? Very 60's chic!!!

• A Disneyland Hobo

Awesome video footage! Thanks for sharing. I loved seeing the Pack Mules =)

• Dreamer

Yeah!! I am so glad you are enjoying the video!! It is neat to see everything in motion. Great observations about how much more bustling the park seemed to be back then.

And yes, that is my mom. What a hot number, eh? hehe. As she is looking through the souvenirs, I keep thinking, "how much would that go for on ebay now?"

I forgot what a landmark year 1967 was for the park. How neat that my parents got to see it at that time as their first impression. My first memories of the park aren't until around 1978 or so.

• SpitSpot!

I loved the groovy clothes and how some people wore go-go boots on main street!!!! Your mom was fab! She had great hair!!! I love the "old Tommorowland" such fond memories
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/